PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak near starter motor - help!

alex_e3
19-04-2007, 14:50
Well, just when i thought i'd had all the jobs on this damn car done - the car throws another spanner in the works!

I've just had the engine out to do the clutch. Bear in mind i left the engine oil in when i took the engine out. Didn't touch anything on the engine at all whilst it was out, and was quite carefull with it.
Now there's an oil leak. It's only a tiny leak, but it didn't have one before i did the work on it, and i can't be doing with having little oil splatters left everywhere.

Had a look under it earlier today, and i can see an oil patch on the side of the auxiliary water pump - opposite the end of the starter motor. Can't really feel up there or see too much because of the driveshaft being in the way. So i'm gonna have to take the damn shaft out tomorrow morning.

Now i'm wondering if anyone else in here has had a leak in this area before? It's only a tiny tiny leak, and doesn't leak once the oil's dropped to the sump. I'm just hoping the block isn't cracked - possibility?

& is there any sort of metal sealer i can buy if there is?

Cheers,

Al

wavy
19-04-2007, 15:58
you could try that fortay stuff(spelling is wrong)
they have 1 u drop in the oil and it helps reseal small leaks
think it softens the gasket which helps reseal it

alex_e3
19-04-2007, 16:57
Thing is though, i can't think of a gasket it's come from, because i don't think there's any components (from by where the oil is leaking) that use a gasket. Hence why i'm thinking the block may have a tiny tiny hole in it.

Hopefully i'll find out where it's coming from tomorrow when i take the shaft out. It's still tight there though.

God damn renaults! You hate to love them!

dan-hipgrave
19-04-2007, 17:44
I believe the oil pressure sender is in that area - they are known to leak if not tightened properly. Easiest got to from drivers side wheelarch (with wheel off obviously!).

alex_e3
19-04-2007, 23:31
Ahhhhhh maybe it'll be that then! Cheers mate!

Will still pop the shaft out tomorrow & have a better look. Hopefully it'll be that.

I'm just soooooo annoyed, 'coz this would've been 100 times easier to do with the engine out like it was!

alex_e3
20-04-2007, 13:07
Pulled the shaft out today. & it turns out the inner C.V. boot is split. Can't get 1 from anywhere though - even renault are useless.