PDA

View Full Version : Low Idle

Coops
17-04-2007, 22:22
when i pop the clutch in last minute before lights/junction and roll last few metres the revs drop to like 500rpm and engine struggles, then as i fully stop revs return to std idle of around 950rpm. it never has any trouble anyother time, no misfires and never misses a beat

i've tried ISCV and its not that

was thinkin can the speedo cable earth issue that normally causes high idel be causing this?

cheers

Coops

Purple
17-04-2007, 23:29
Could also be the fuel pressure from choked fuel filter or bad fuel pump or insufficient voltage going to the pump motor (which could also be due to bad earth).

Coops
18-04-2007, 21:37
NOOOOOOOOOO

not an earth issue, please god no!

i'll change filter n see how i go, cheers matey!

1995clio16v
18-04-2007, 21:40
Im no expert on electrics but when I changed my alternator mine started to do that, sometimes it stalled sometimes not just dropped real low on the revs to almost stalling point, so I was presuming it was something along the lines your thinking but it corrected itself and ive had no issues with it since thank god.

Whether this is a similar thing.

I know this isnt really any help to your question but that was my experience.

Coops
18-04-2007, 21:42
every little helps matey,i'll have a play with alternator connections, check em over

also my battery is in the boot, so am gonna check its connections over as loose/ppor connections on that was causing starting problems before

nyk
18-04-2007, 21:43
Mine did it.

Exactly the same, only when dipping the clutch and rolling to a junction. Dropped to about 4/500 then came back up again.

Once Lee fixed my speedo earth, the problem resolved itself and it idle'd better, considering the cams also.

:D

Coops
18-04-2007, 21:50
right, i be doing the speedo earth n all then! :lol:

gonna be a busy night tomos, got the old meguiars clay to slap on n all and the bucket to refit.............list goes on and on! :lol:

mike16valver
19-04-2007, 09:15
every little helps matey,i'll have a play with alternator connections, check em over

also my battery is in the boot, so am gonna check its connections over as loose/ppor connections on that was causing starting problems before

How much did TESCOS pay you say that coops...? :D

Coops
19-04-2007, 19:48
enough to trade up cars! :wink: :P

summeh
19-04-2007, 22:47
I've been having same sort of problem the last few days...

In fact it started happening since this hot weather believe it or not... only tends to do it when the water level is getting very hot, and twice it has actually cut out as the fan kicks in, so I'm guessing it's earth related. revs drag down to about 600-700, but only when its getting hot i.e. queuing traffic for a while.

Also it's only just started happening since i did an oil change, so maybe I knocked some wires about etc...

It's not done it for a few days, but I checked all the earths etc everything seems fine, tis a new alternator as well.

So maybe it is heat related as well?

Coops
20-04-2007, 21:52
turns out its probably battery earth in the boot, whipped it off, bit of sandpaper and sorted!

Daz.
20-04-2007, 22:00
turns out its probably battery earth in the boot, whipped it off, bit of sandpaper and sorted!

5 points for that man 8)