PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Tappet

Crossers
14-04-2007, 16:41
Whats the cause of a noisy tappet?

I've one that's noisy for the first 10 seconds of running, but it sometimes comes back, even at full temp and on the m/way @ 5000rpm?

Irritating to say the least. Best way to fix??

Ta

Paul

Alphacentaure
14-04-2007, 17:56
At the start, it takes time for the oil to build up, so, I would say normal. Mine is noisy for more than 10sec, more like 30sec. As for the noise coming back at 5000rpm, it throws me. When I am @ 5K rpm, I usually can even hear myself think, I am surprise you can hear tappet noise!:shock: But hey, I am gettin' old! :roll:

BRUN
14-04-2007, 18:19
try some Forte Top End Treatment, or Wynns Hydraulic Valve Lifter Concentrate

Crossers
14-04-2007, 18:53
I know, i'm running a mongoose sysyem so not the quietest ever. I can hear the tapping over that!!

I realise that the tappets are hydraulic and charge up with oil when the engine has not run for a while; its just seems strange that it occurs at full temp and @ 500rpm.

Brun, What is that stuff you mentioned, where can i get it and how much?

Ta chaps

Paul

Imperial_16v
14-04-2007, 20:26
I know, i'm running a mongoose sysyem so not the quietest ever. I can hear the tapping over that!!

I realise that the tappets are hydraulic and charge up with oil when the engine has not run for a while; its just seems strange that it occurs at full temp and @ 500rpm.

Ta chaps

Paul

Paul,

Halfords do the Wynns stuff. You just chuck it in your Oil. :)

I used it on my old RT, seemed to do the trick. But at the end of the day you may just have to replace them if they are worn (your tappets that is). Mine are like yours, so for the time being I'm going to stick some more Wynns stuff in. :)

However, if you do plan to replace them, here's a good place to get them from. An entire set (x16) for only £65.00 instead of £200.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-HYDRAULIC-LIFTERS-CLIO-WILLIAMS-MEGANE_W0QQitemZ130093510334QQcategoryZ10410QQcmdZ ViewItem#ebayphotohosting

cliokiz
15-04-2007, 13:22
I can vouch for the above seller, i've just bought some from him, they arrived very quickly, 16 in individual bags, and the tappets were submerged in oil.

Don't buy from the other seller on there, as he's got loads of negative feedback saying people didn't receive the tappets for weeks!

Buy from trechii.

I have a mongoose and my engine just taps ALL the time, sounds f*cking awful, so i'm replacing mine.

Crossers
15-04-2007, 14:28
Just frustrating, the engine has only done 2000 miles since a rebuild....but stupidly i didn't replace the tappets :oops: :evil: I knew i should have!!

Ta

Paul

stan
15-04-2007, 14:39
whats your oil pressure like.

also check u have enough oil in it.

summeh
15-04-2007, 19:32
Crossers, I am having the exact same problem mate! Engine has been rebuilt and it seems very "ticky". Goes away after 30 seconds or so, but then sometimes it can come back even with hot oil.

I know pressure and oil levels are good.

One thing I havn't ruled out yet is the injectors, these can be very "ticky", I just havn't had time to unplug them one at a time to see if they are the culprit yet. So you could try doing that and see if it makes a difference.

Laine_16v
15-04-2007, 20:44
Every 16v and Williams i have seen all have the same very Ticky injectors, maybe mistaking them for that?

mon
15-04-2007, 22:15

Ta chaps

Paul

try ebay mate cause you can not get unless your trade

i got the engine flush from there . how old is your oil ?? if needs changeing flush it with forte stuff renew oil will help if it comes bach then topend treatment

http://www.forteuk.co.uk/

mon
15-04-2007, 22:18
Every 16v and Williams i have seen all have the same very Ticky injectors, maybe mistaking them for that?

yea everyone says (but me mate who does car) i have tappet problem but it is not is the injectors

mon
15-04-2007, 22:22
found one see link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORTE-OIL-FORTIFIER-HELP-YOUR-ENGINE-LAST_W0QQitemZ140106366980QQihZ004QQcategoryZ72205 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem