PDA

View Full Version : Vibration still a problem

BRUN
12-04-2007, 17:49
took it exhaust place today as i needed a slight hole/split welding up on my centre silencer

i told him about me having my cambelt/headgasket done and subsequent vibration so he said he would have a look, and the exhaust needed a fiddle with anyway

anyway, afterwards, he said he had sorted it, it was vibratin on the back axle, even though i thought it wasnt i was a happy man, not the case though in reality, although he has managed to raise the centre section a bit for me, and weld the holes up, the vibration is still a problem

i told him i thought it was coming from up front, he had a look and said everything had loads of clearance, which is exactly what i thought when i looked under it for the second time, and exactly what Andy @ GDI said when i picked the car up and we had a look at it on his ramps

this really does feel/sound like exhaust, but it isnt, or doesnt seem to be when you look underneath, Mark @ GDI seemed to think i might have warped discs, as it does come on when i brake, but after driving for a while i can get it to do it by just backing of the throttle especially in 2nd, and it does it every time in reverse whether hot or cold

ive moved the engine 1/2" forward as stan suggested and that didnt fix it either

im gonna take it to my usual mechanic and get him to have a look at it, the only thing i can think of now is to replace engine mounts, as maybe they are past it and allowing it to move a lot more than it should do, but looking at it running and rocking it using my hands it doesnt appear to move anymore than normal, but i suppose when its running and in gear it could be different, anyone agree with my theory ???

u33db
12-04-2007, 18:16
What mileage you on now?

Doubt its the mounts as they should still be good.

Can you not get a loan of some discs and see if they could be warped?

I'm aware of different viewpoints on GDIs work - thats nowt to do with me - but if this has happened since the belt/HG was done then i'd say theres a good chance somethings not right in that area.

You not near 2 live/Hillpower or anyone for a second opinion?

northy
13-04-2007, 07:57
i have some disks that you can fit (front and rear) but i will need them back.

call round.

BRUN
13-04-2007, 08:32
it does happen when braking, but it can happen when you let off and dont brake, so personally i dont think its the discs

MAXIBOY
13-04-2007, 10:57
driveshafts

Chris H
13-04-2007, 11:46
when you moved the engine like Craigy Poo said did it change it at all?

The exhaust can rub on the offside shaft under braking.

BRUN
13-04-2007, 18:18
didnt seem to, but it didnt move very much