PDA

View Full Version : animal??

tobi_rsi
10-04-2007, 23:13
i've just read in an old post, think its was winston that said and rsi with a valver flywheel would be a bit of an animal??

would it be worth doing> or too much hassle??

Tobi

Justin..
10-04-2007, 23:18
Did he say why ?

tobi_rsi
10-04-2007, 23:41
pass, im guessin would make for quiker acceleration???

Danlp6
11-04-2007, 07:26
the valver fly is lighter.

JohnGordon
11-04-2007, 18:40
I think you would loose torque by fitting a lighter flywheel, but it would rev up a lot easier.

stan
11-04-2007, 21:51
why would you loose torque?

reducing the rotational mass of the cranktrain reduces mass moment of inertia, which like you say helps increase acceleration of the crank. This doesnt however effect torque output.

1995clio16v
11-04-2007, 22:30
Stan;

*lose*

:o

stan
12-04-2007, 10:26
:roll:

JohnGordon
12-04-2007, 15:21

reducing the rotational mass of the cranktrain reduces mass moment of inertia, which like you say helps increase acceleration of the crank. This doesnt however effect torque output.

The flywheel is there to keep the engine spinning, once the flywheel is spinning the inertia keeps the engine going. So as you lift off the throttle a heavier wheel would keep the engine going longer (more torque) and the lighter flywheel would shead speed easier meaning the engine would slow much faster (less torque)

u33db
12-04-2007, 15:26
Will only work with phase 1 and 2 RSi engines.

stan
12-04-2007, 17:47

The flywheel is there to keep the engine spinning, once the flywheel is spinning the inertia keeps the engine going. So as you lift off the throttle a heavier wheel would keep the engine going longer (more torque) and the lighter flywheel would shead speed easier meaning the engine would slow much faster (less torque)

:? since when will an engine make torque when you lift off the throttle??

Your thinking of engine braking effect .

Gray
12-04-2007, 18:36
Will only work with phase 1 and 2 RSi engines.

Why with only phase 1 and 2 engines?

u33db
13-04-2007, 08:29
Becuase the phase 3 has a different flywheel pattern from the phase 1/2s and 16vs.

Sticking the wrong flywheel on will balls up the ECU.

Phase 3 RSIs are also a smaller CC than the others

Chris H
13-04-2007, 11:43
as dougal saidf the early rsi's use the 2 trigger points on the fly, the ph3's use only 1 and are 1783cc opposed to 1794 of the earlier ones.

I told winston and a few others about the flywheel, the 16V is nice and light due to it being hollowed on the back of it as standard, the rsi one is just flat.

Stan, hes been playing GT to much methinks or reading comics like Maxxy P!

JohnGordon
14-04-2007, 14:57
as dougal saidf the early rsi's use the 2 trigger points on the fly, the ph3's use only 1 and are 1783cc opposed to 1794 of the earlier ones.

I told winston and a few others about the flywheel, the 16V is nice and light due to it being hollowed on the back of it as standard, the rsi one is just flat.

HAHAHA, thanks mate. I do not read max power at all and I am not that way inclined. I may have got confused, is that not allowed or am I instantly branded a Chav because of that.

I run a clio valver now with a full peco big bore 4 system and a k&n, I recently fitted a turbonator off ebay alongside a resistor chip from the same seller, I'm now seeing 248bhp at the wheels, I used to get 175 mph out of her but since fitting the wing on the back I have lost 15 mph due to the added down force.

You twat, lol.

Its hard enough trying to fit into forums and their clicky members as it is, pushing people out labling them max power readers and such kinda sucks

My previous car by the way..........

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/Picture001.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/RallySlaaaag.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/Classic20Lanes20Novice20Rally202006.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/SP_A0045.jpg

^^ Turbo lump, ready for fitting, was pushing about 180-200 bhp at 1bar of boost when I got it running properly, car was running full bilstein grp N suspension setup, was fully cages and partially seem welded. Kevlar sump and tank guards, and she got me 7 road ralling tropheys. Turbos then got banned from road ralling and she was used as a track car being fully stripped out. All that torque in a car weighing 774kg kinda went well. Ended up braking her as I chopped and changed my ideas of what I was going to do to it next.

A chav I am not.

JohnGordon
14-04-2007, 15:28
Will explain why i thaught flywheel affected torque also.

I was always taught to theing of bhp and torque like this,

Bhp is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with me.

Ie hyabusa engine, 1300 revs very high and can make good bhp figures, but due to the lighter internals and small fly wheel they dont produce huge torque (as its engineered for revs, as bikes dont need huge torque because of their weight)

A ruddy big american v8 however has heavy internals and a huge heavy flywheel and thus produces both big hp and loads of torque.

I may be wrong though. :roll:

schakal
14-04-2007, 15:56
I run a clio valver now with a full peco big bore 4 system and a k&n, I recently fitted a turbonator off ebay alongside a resistor chip from the same seller, I'm now seeing 248bhp at the wheels, I used to get 175 mph out of her but since fitting the wing on the back I have lost 15 mph due to the added down force.

**** me :shock:

:lol:

JohnGordon
14-04-2007, 16:34
:roll: :D

Gray
15-04-2007, 08:02
Becuase the phase 3 has a different flywheel pattern from the phase 1/2s and 16vs.

Sticking the wrong flywheel on will balls up the ECU.

Phase 3 RSIs are also a smaller CC than the others

Another gay thing about the PH3 RSi :lol:

I had a PH2 RSi before and i always thought it had that little more grunt... than this one i have now although that could just be in my mind?

u33db
15-04-2007, 11:20
Yep, probably just in your head - they're the same bhp and only differ by about 10cc or so doubt you could notice the difference unless one was a better example.

u33db
15-04-2007, 11:24
I may have got confused, is that not allowed or am I instantly branded a Chav because of that.

No but driving a pug will! :wink:

Chris H
15-04-2007, 12:32

HAHAHA, thanks mate. I do not read max power at all and I am not that way inclined. I may have got confused, is that not allowed or am I instantly branded a Chav because of that.

You t**t, lol.

Its hard enough trying to fit into forums and their clicky members as it is, pushing people out labling them max power readers and such kinda sucks

My previous car by the way..........

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/Picture001.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/RallySlaaaag.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/Classic20Lanes20Novice20Rally202006.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Johnrobertgordon/SP_A0045.jpg

^^ Turbo lump, ready for fitting, was pushing about 180-200 bhp at 1bar of boost when I got it running properly, car was running full bilstein grp N suspension setup, was fully cages and partially seem welded. Kevlar sump and tank guards, and she got me 7 road ralling tropheys. Turbos then got banned from road ralling and she was used as a track car being fully stripped out. All that torque in a car weighing 774kg kinda went well. Ended up braking her as I chopped and changed my ideas of what I was going to do to it next.

A chav I am not.

FPMSL we have a new jester in the court.

:lol:

stan
15-04-2007, 13:43
power is the rate of work done, torque is the ammount of work done. In laymans terms, torque is the size of the push, power is how often you push...if that makes sense lol