PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting 2nd hand clocks

Scougar
10-04-2007, 15:23
Hi guys,

My water temp gauge is not currently working.. and pending further investigation... I might just buy some 2nd hand valver clocks to stick in to fix the problem. If I buy some I guess it will be pretty easy to stick in a drill and adjust them forward, which is all fine. But what if I need to put them back to match mine? (Mine currently read just under 95K), can that be done easily? (Mk1 Ph1 dials).

Or can the water temp mechanism be swapped over instead to make it easier?

Matthew

clowo16v
10-04-2007, 15:34
Can be done easily but takes ages.

Matt

Scougar
10-04-2007, 15:45
lol.. why does every job on the clio take 4 times as long as every other car? :roll: lol

Least it can be done I suppose :) Looks like I have some spare time tonight (after 10pm :shock: so may pull the dash off and have 1 last look at the dials and see if I've managed to glue the dial still or something nuts like that.

Matthew

schakal
10-04-2007, 15:56
swapping the gauge is a piss easy job .
how do you know the sensor is not knackard or
else ??

clowo16v
10-04-2007, 16:18
I know its easy. The bit that takes ages is winding the clocks back. Best bet would be to set the drill going winding it then leave it if you stand there holding it you'll be bored to tears

Matt

Clio_GTT
10-04-2007, 17:16
Its even easier to swap your speedo bit over that reads the correct mileage, take the clear plastic cover off via the little screws then there's 2 on the back of the speedo holding the speedo and odometer in and it will pull out of the dials then you just put yours in and screw it all back together.

richy
10-04-2007, 18:44
its dead easy to adjust the clock, as said above if its the same fitting then just unscrew the old one and fit it in, or you could just pop the number reel off and set it to whatever you want!

Scougar
10-04-2007, 23:27
swapping the gauge is a piss easy job .
how do you know the sensor is not knackard or
else ??

I don't know it isn't knackered. It did appear to work, but the needle seemed to be getting jammed on the aftermarket lockwood dials. I attempted to reposition and after a original failed attempt with double sided tape, resorted to glue to get the dial flat and flush. But since then the dial hasn't moved AT ALL :( It's all those little things that pee me off about the car that just have been neglected (like non-working rear wiper (FIXED), central locking (FIXED), non-working overheat fan (FIXED), non-working blower motor (REPLACED/FIXED), cracked lights etc etc.

Seems like it would be less hassle just to replace the entire unit and then I have spare parts in case some else is wrong lol.

Matthew

Scougar
10-04-2007, 23:28
its dead easy to adjust the clock, as said above if its the same fitting then just unscrew the old one and fit it in, or you could just pop the number reel off and set it to whatever you want!

That's not a bad idea :)

Matthew