PDA

View Full Version : williams front steering and suspenssion - loose feelng

finlay
09-04-2007, 08:52
i ve had this prob for a bout 100 odd miles now in that the car feels loose on the road through the steering wheel at 40mph plus also picks up on unevean road surfaces etc etc, i reckon possibly the ball joints are on there way out (had this prob before with my valver) so i m planning to change them out also i thought i would change all the bushes at the same time although they look ok as does all the fittings etc,

any one else got any ideas on where or what is causing the loosness, bearing in mind the car has only done 56K so i wouldnt think it would be anything major but i dont know, so any pointers would be appriciated

also

whats the best way to lock the bottom end and cams for cam belt change, do you need the renualt locking tool for the pulleys or is there another method or tool

cheers

Finlay

dan-hipgrave
09-04-2007, 09:32
Steering column UJ? Is it actual play in the steering?

Allan
09-04-2007, 10:36
could be your steering column play in the anti vibration join, they break down and the steering becomes vague, as for locking the engine manualy crank it over to tdc and jam a screw driver or somthing in, that what did when i did mine, the cams in the head will still be lose but just make sure they line up with the links on the belt when you replace and you will be fine as the bottom end will be locked up.

Andyvalver
09-04-2007, 14:07
Steering column needs welding mate, mine started doin it. Its scary on bumpy roads lol

Allan
09-04-2007, 14:10
you could try epoxy aswell andy, i have just epoxied up my spare in the garage ;)

Andyvalver
09-04-2007, 14:16
you could try epoxy aswell andy, i have just epoxied up my spare in the garage ;)

lol think ill weld it :wink:

Allan
09-04-2007, 14:51
whimp :P epoxy for the win lol, if you use the metal bond stuff its as hard as a weld ;)

finlay
09-04-2007, 17:48
Steering column needs welding mate, mine started doin it. Its scary on bumpy roads lol

yea thought that, had to do the same on my old valver, although that had done 83K and i m nearly 30K behind that, the willys only done 56K, but i will have a look

cheers

finlay
09-04-2007, 17:49
could be your steering column play in the anti vibration join, they break down and the steering becomes vague, as for locking the engine manualy crank it over to tdc and jam a screw driver or somthing in, that what did when i did mine, the cams in the head will still be lose but just make sure they line up with the links on the belt when you replace and you will be fine as the bottom end will be locked up.

cheers

finlay
09-04-2007, 17:55
Steering column UJ? Is it actual play in the steering?

just feels a bit loose at high speed

white16valver
10-04-2007, 12:38
This sounds like what I've got at the moment, but I had a newer rack and newer column put in about 12k ago by Mat, so I think it must be ball joints. :?

Are they £££ to get fixed at a garage?

MAXIBOY
10-04-2007, 16:52
depends if there seized on or not really