PDA

View Full Version : Smell of fuel...

Purple
09-04-2007, 00:54
...after I got my cam belt, aux belt and water pump replaced. Car works fine. And the engine was lifted off the mounts by about half a foot to perform the job.

Where would be the most likely place for the fuel leak? Is it easy to check/fix or should I return to the workshop. Thanks.

dan-hipgrave
09-04-2007, 09:44
The fuel pipe running into the fuel rail comes right by the aux belt - in my old clio it fell onto the belt and wore away over time, eventually splitting whilst i was out. I lost a nearly full tank of petrol in 10 miles!

Purple
09-04-2007, 09:49
The fuel pipe running into the fuel rail comes right by the aux belt - in my old clio it fell onto the belt and wore away over time, eventually splitting whilst i was out. I lost a nearly full tank of petrol in 10 miles!
So, is it something I can fix with a screwdriver, jubilee clip and a flashlight? Can I access it just by removing the headlight? Or is it a back to the workshop kind of job?

dan-hipgrave
09-04-2007, 09:55
Yeh can be seen easily if thats the problem - remove the engine mount cover for better access and look down to the auxiliary belt, the fuel pipes should be well clear of the belt. I believe they should be clipped in above the belt to some plastic trim on the side of the block..

If it is that causing the smell, replacing is easy - i cut out the section that had split and replaced with a section of copper pipe, held on with jubille clips.

Purple
09-04-2007, 10:00
Thanks, sounds dead easy. Will check it tomorrow.

MatBrown
09-04-2007, 19:27
Also check where they join the fuel rail, they tend to weep from there too. can sometimes be trimmed and refitted.

Mat.

summeh
10-04-2007, 20:44
A good mod is to reroute these fuel lines over the engine mount and around the PAS reservoir. you will need normal fuel lines to do this though (not the pre-shaped reno ones).

Purple
25-05-2007, 12:20
Finally checked it today. Cable-tied the hose-end that's closer to the fuel tank. It was very loose and fuel had seeped out onto the hose and pipe.

Is there suppose to be a jubilee clip or is just force fitted like that?

northy
25-05-2007, 12:23
supposed to be a clip on all joins mate....some are renault styles some are Jubilie ones

Purple
25-05-2007, 12:28
Must have been my lazy mechanics forgot to put back the clip after the timing belt replacement. Anyway, the cable tie works well, so I will just leave it there.

1fast6
25-05-2007, 23:02
Purple when did you get the smell of petrol?

I am getting it but only when i drive the car hard and have the windows down, other times i can't smell it.

Thanks

MatBrown
25-05-2007, 23:22

I am getting it but only when i drive the car hard and have the windows down, other times i can't smell it.

Thanks

You running a de-cat?

Mat.

1fast6
25-05-2007, 23:26

Thanks

You running a de-cat?

Mat.

Yes i am. Is that the problem?

MatBrown
26-05-2007, 00:26
If the car is over fueling for some reason you might be smelling the stuff from your exhaust.

Mat.

Purple
26-05-2007, 00:31
After my cambelt change when the engine was lifted a few inches off the mounts. The short L-shaped rubber fuel hose above the aux belt was put back in without the end clips. The other place you should check for leaks is the fuel filter area. And also, I normally smell fuel whenever I fill-up petrol all the way to the top of the tank - I just don't fill-up to the top now.