PDA

View Full Version : Oil clock problem

simonr85
03-04-2007, 13:15
When i first start my car or just turn the ignition my oil guage shows the correct level, but then after say 6 - 10 secs the needle drops back down under the min line and wont show me how much oil i have till i turn the car off then on again (or just the ignition). it does this everytime whether i leave the car still (idling) or whether i drive it, and the needle seems to drop at the same time everytime, what could this be and is it an easy fix?

thanks

cliokiz
03-04-2007, 13:20
lol, thats how it's supposed to work.

It shows you your oil level for the first 10 secs (i think) you have your ignition on, then switches off.

simonr85
03-04-2007, 14:41
lol, thats how it's supposed to work.

It shows you your oil level for the first 10 secs (i think) you have your ignition on, then switches off.

Are you being serious? surely that cant be right?

Also my water temp guage only works when it wants too aswell, please dont say thats how thats supposed to work?

northy
03-04-2007, 14:46
yes thats right.

It stops working after 10 seconds as the oil has then been pumped around the engine.

The water temp gauge - does have a fault though !

simonr85
03-04-2007, 15:58
well that is strange, everybody who has been in my car comments on how its broke (they say look at that, the needle has just dropped, you need that sorting)

ive never been in a williams other than mine so i suppose i wernet to know.

Any body know what the water temp guage prob could be? the other day the needle it was moving all over the place and today it wont move :(

The joys of french cars, and i promised i wouldnt get another french car after selling my saxo, lol. but i suppose i still aint got rid of my saxo, its in my garage abandoned waiting to be fixed lol

16v_russ
03-04-2007, 18:16
the oil lovel guage can only show the 'correct' level when the engines not runnin mate,as when the engines running and the oil is curculating round the engine how will it get a level reading......

as for the water temp id check wiring,my 1st valver did that

Scougar
04-04-2007, 16:23
As mentioned... how can it measure the level of fluid unless it's around sitting there to measure. Turn on the ignition, check the reading... then start... it should drop, that is perfectly normal behaviour. If you turn on and it's below min (before starting) then I would be concerned and check the level manually... then top up if needed.

There is NOTHING wrong with your gauge.

Matthew

summeh
04-04-2007, 18:35
Oh btw never rely on the gauge, you should still manually check using the dip stick every few weeks.

MatBrown
05-04-2007, 01:07
Oh btw never rely on the gauge, you should still manually check using the dip stick every few weeks.

Agreed.

Mat.

Purple
05-04-2007, 01:52
I do. But I think, for mine, when the needle reads halfway - the dipstick mark is quite close to zero. It's been quite consistent, so I take halfway mark as my "oil low warning".

Allan
05-04-2007, 11:05
I do. But I think, for mine, when the needle reads halfway - the dipstick mark is quite close to zero. It's been quite consistent, so I take halfway mark as my "oil low warning".

My valver and williams have been the same, 1/2 way on the oil gague = empty on the dipstick !