PDA

View Full Version : Tesco's New Super Unleaded...

Willy 2
17-05-2005, 08:11
The other day i went to grab a tenners worth of cheap fuel as im commuting by car for the next couple of weeks and as i went to stick in the old regular unleaded i saw this new Super Unleaded....Rated at 99 OCTANE!!! I thought bugger this im going for that, and it was'nt too bad at 86.9p....so i filled the tank right up!

Have any of you guys bought it yet? Thoughts? I have to say that it pulls so much better than before, there is definately more response and the needle just seems to move with that bit more urgency! Maybe its me hoping that its making my car faster...i dunno, but im defo gona buy this again.

Puts Optimax to shame really - especially with the prices they charge.

Andy
17-05-2005, 08:14
what ron is optimax is 98 or 99 been filling up with that costing a fortune what does everyone else use

Willy 2
17-05-2005, 08:22
Optimax is 98 RON.

Mark_Ritchspeed
17-05-2005, 08:26
Wether it makes any real difference in performance terms is open to debate, but I always use super unleaded at the minimum as there is less likelyhood of detonation when your constantly caning the car.

Andy
17-05-2005, 08:31
constantly caning how dare you for your out brake
stromba will be tossing and turning in his sleep with things like that been said :?

snakeylady
17-05-2005, 09:05
only ever use optimax - and have been lead to believe that previous owner only used it as well - don't know if it makes a difference but it's got 145K on clock and still goes as sweet as anything so who knows? I will certainly be trying the other stuff

VIPERONE
17-05-2005, 10:20
lol

optimax is a con

i states in the wily technical manual, that:
there are no benefits using a higher ron than 95

Martin
17-05-2005, 11:16
Mines mapped for 98 ron...pinks on 95ron, don't mind using super even if it is more expensive!

KingStromba
17-05-2005, 11:42
Gunner, some cars that have been tuned / remapped / chipped need 98 or higher ron fuel.

And people forget that fuel quality isnt just about ron. Its also the quality of the fuel and the impurities it holds.

Generally the purer a chemical the more it costs. We can pay say £100 for 25 mg of a compound at 95% purity at work. Take the purity to 99% and the price might increase to £400. Impurities are very expensive to remove and as a result the price goes up. Supermarkets buy their fuel from whoever they can get it from at a cheap price / or wherever it is available if they run low. Sometimes that means its BP sometimes its a dodgy eastern european refinery. The quality varies alot. Sometimes youll be ok, sometimes youll get a batch containing sand. Not worth the risk.

All the major players (shell, BP, texaco etc) get their fuel from UK refineries with higher quality control. So the fuel is more consistently good quality. All the major players get their fuel from the same refineries and then add their own additives, so basically its the same fuel. More volatiles are added to optimax and more additives to give it better cleaning properties and higher ron. Volitiles are cheap to add and its easy to increase ron, but its the additives that increase the price of optimax. Do we know that tesco 99 ron fuel has the same additives?

So basically fuel choice is alot more difficult than just taking the higher ron. Esso has some of the most consistently clean fuels according to laboritory tests. Supermarket fuel often contains sand and feathers. Ok so the fuel filters at the pumps remove these, but would you risk it?

BRUN
17-05-2005, 11:52
Optimax only for me...