PDA

View Full Version : fitting cams.........replace anything else?

bill.
29-03-2007, 15:36
when i finally get round to getting my cams and verniers fitted, is there anything else i should be replacing whilst this is being done?

cheers

VIPERONE
29-03-2007, 15:54
..hmmm cam belt?

unless its newish

tappets?

nyk
29-03-2007, 16:03
Get a full head set when replacing the cams instead of just cam seals, head gasket.

This way you can change the valve stem oil seals at the same time.

:D

bill.
29-03-2007, 16:20
..hmmm cam belt?

unless its newish

tappets?

i'll get a new cam belt just to be safe, do the tappets only need to be replaced if there tapping? mine seem to be fine at the minute

bill.
29-03-2007, 16:20
Get a full head set when replacing the cams instead of just cam seals, head gasket.

any idea how much a full head set is?

cheers

nyk
29-03-2007, 16:24
Last one we bought was £45 and then the bolts on top.

bill.
29-03-2007, 16:24
oh right bargain, i'll have one of them then :D

nyk
29-03-2007, 16:25
Lee just piped up that they are £30 for the headset off ebay plus £13 for bolts if you buy them at the same time.

bill.
29-03-2007, 16:27
:shock: it gets better by the minute.

Daz.
29-03-2007, 21:36

Yeh but it'll blow up 3 weeks into cams ownership so ner ner ner ner! :lol:

MAXIBOY
29-03-2007, 22:13
i always thought new cams needed new followers/ tappets at the same time. also are you removing the head to change cams as if your not you don,t need a head gasket or stem seals

bill.
29-03-2007, 23:28

Yeh but it'll blow up 3 weeks into cams ownership so ner ner ner ner! :lol:

:shock: ha ha we'll see, i have faith in the beast :driving:

bill.
29-03-2007, 23:33
i always thought new cams needed new followers/ tappets at the same time. also are you removing the head to change cams as if your not you don,t need a head gasket or stem seals

ah right??? :? i'm not going to be removing anything myself, i'll be taking it somewhere to get the cams fitted, just wanted to know if i should get anything else replaced whilst there on the job to freshen things up a little, so any advice appreciated, wasn't aware that it could be done without removeing the head? i just presummed it would be done that way? the cheaper way the better, although i dont want to cut any corners.

ps. i'm not very mechanical, as you can see :roll:

MAXIBOY
29-03-2007, 23:41
yeah just remove rocker cover and cam carriers. not the head. so know head gasket or oil seals etc. just rocker cover gasket etc. check with stan benr about followers but i think they wear in with cams and need or should be changed as sets with the cams really. thats why your meant to note there positions and refit in the same position as removal

nyk
30-03-2007, 00:44
Whats to say the new cams wont require 40mm or 42mm cam seals though??

We just went through this palarva.

MAXIBOY
30-03-2007, 10:24

i was referring to the valve stem oil seals above not the cam seals as these can be changed. but if your not removing the head the valve stem oil seals and head gasket won,t be needed. just a rocker cover and cam shaft oil seals.

nyk
30-03-2007, 10:41
Aye I know what your saying, but what I mean is wth the new cams he may require a different size cam seal, we just went thrugh all this with our track car.
In any case if your replacing tappets etc as well, I would take the opportunity to do the lot.