PDA

View Full Version : Uprated clutch - Suggestions/Recommendations please!

cliokiz
29-03-2007, 12:47
Right, i picked up an LUK (standard) clutch for my valver willy hybrid the other day, but after some thought i decided to take it back, as i might as well splash out a bit more and get a clutch i'm not going to kill in a week :shock:

So, i'm now after an uprated clutch. What do you lot recommend?

I used to have an uprated clutch on the valver engine, i don't know what it was, but it was very stiff on the pedal, although it worked very well.

Ideally i'm looking for something that doesn't make the pedal too harsh, i don't want my leg to ache when in traffic. The lighter it is, the better really, but i want something i can give a fair bit of welly.

Suggestions and recommendations are very welcome!

I've also been advised to get a 'soft pedal conversion', but i have no info on this, and i don't know where i can get it done, or whether its a DIY job, where i can get bits, etc.

Cheers for any info you can provide!

Clio_GTT
29-03-2007, 12:54
The renault 5 GTT "uprated" GSF clutch seems to be quite good, its for a volvo 440 turbo and can handle the power it seems.

The soft pedal conversion consists of a longer clutch fork and an extender mount thing that spaces the cable out from the box to give it more leverage and hence requires less force, these are used on volvos and also on the 172's, i'll post the part numbers in a minute

VIPERONE
29-03-2007, 12:56
tony 16v had the uprated gtt clutch slipping in no time.. i'd say helix paddle clutch with the pressure plate from the uprated r5gtt kit.

LUK clutches are good by the way, TUV approved i think

Clio_GTT
29-03-2007, 12:57
77 03 002 491 BOLT SC .50 ---3 x 1
77 00 868 962 PLATE CABLE 6.20 ---3 x 1
77 03 033 033 USE 7701422013P10 .58 ---3 x 1
77 00 112 818 CLUTCH FORK 31.54 ---3 x 1

from a 172

Clio_GTT
29-03-2007, 12:58
tony 16v had the uprated gtt clutch slipping in no time.. i'd say helix paddle clutch with the pressure plate from the uprated r5gtt kit.

isn't tony16v running a turbo though ?

Clio_GTT
29-03-2007, 12:59
77 03 002 491 BOLT SC .50 ---3 x 1
77 00 868 962 PLATE CABLE 6.20 ---3 x 1
77 03 033 033 USE 7701422013P10 .58 ---3 x 1
77 00 112 818 CLUTCH FORK 31.54 ---3 x 1

from a 172

might need the bush too ?

77 00 875 163 BUSH .67 ---3 x 1

cliokiz
29-03-2007, 13:24
Cheers willy lover, will certainly be looking at getting that i think!

How easy is it all to change over? Does the gearbox need to come off to swap the bits?

Can you still use a standard williams clutch cable with it?

cliokiz
29-03-2007, 13:28

Gunner,

I know you've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but 'helix paddle clutch' means absolutely nothing to me, what is that?

Can you show me where i can get all the bits?

My willy engine is only pushing out about 160bhp so it doesn't need to be able to handle mega power, just something i can give more stick than a standard clutch without it slipping as much.

Also, don't want anything too much more expensive than a standard clutch either! :oops:

VIPERONE
29-03-2007, 13:58
ahhh..no worries..then disregard the helixclutch. helix is the make, paddle is the style..
here is a paddle:

http://www.pro-tecmotorsport.com/images/parts/paddleclutchplates.jpg

they are ok up to silly BHP

for your application i would say the uprated gtt clutch.. it is like an on off switch though.... maybe the soft pedal kit would assist....

i have ran a valeo standard n my hybrid with no problems for 30k

VIPERONE
29-03-2007, 14:17
just called tweaks
paddle clutch plate only is £147

cliokiz
29-03-2007, 14:27
Yeah everyone seems to mention that standard is fine, but i've had absolute nightmares with clutches recently, and i really don't want to have to change the clutch again for a while!

Let me tell you a little story...

Basically, when i got my valver, it had a 1.8 engine with what seemed to be an uprated clutch (clutch pedal was VERY stiff and it was very on/off), however this clutch worked VERY well. Eventually though it started slipping not long after i got the car, and one day i was having some fun with an MR-2 and i put it into 4th whilst accelerating pretty quickly, and the clutch slipped when i planted it after the gear change. Then when i changed from 4th to 5th, the clutch slipped yet again, and then the clutch just died, it would not engage at all.

So, i took my car to a local garage, where it had a new head gasket, new clutch, cambelt change, and a full service. This is where the problems really started.

I drove the car away from the garage and took it out for a spin, and i pretty much immediately noticed how 'weak' the clutch seemed. I tried to pull away quickly and the clutch just slipped no end, i couldn't plant any power until i was moving otherwise it would just slip. I took the car back to the garage and said it was slipping, and the guy said he couldn't find anything wrong. He did say he had messed with the clutch cable or something, and after that it seemed better. It still wasn't right though. Hill starts inparticular were a nightmare, giving it some revs and pulling off was an annoyance as this caused it to slip slightly.

Anyway, after a few months of being annoyed with the clutch, i kept wondering to myself whether it was my driving or whether it was the clutch, and i thought there's only one way to find out. So, i took the car to an industrial estate, gave it loads of revs, then just took my foot off the clutch straight away (which should result in a mental wheelspin!)

After i did this, the engine carried on revving, and the car started pulling, but, the clutch was slipping. The wheels did not spin, not a squeak, nothing, and after that i got the smell of burning clutch. I didn't try that again, lol.

Anyway, eventually, my gearbox died on the valver engine, which killed the clutch as it covered it in gearbox oil.

Then, i got my williams engine. From day 1 the clutch seemed fine, i didn't replace it when the engine was fitted, i just kept the same clutch on it came with and it seemed fine. Pulled very well, didn't seem to slip. Then, one day, i was in a bit of a mental driving mood so i thought i'd give it a bit of wheelspin somewhere, gave the engine some revs, and again pulled my foot straight off the clutch, and again it just slipped as the car pulled away :shock:

So, this is the reason i'm now changing my clutch again.

I'm seriously suspicious that the clutch cable is at fault. I'm wondering if it has been stretched since i had the really stiff clutch on the valver engine?

I'm just worried that if i try a standard clutch again, the same is going to happen, so i'd really like to get something that i can have more confidence in.

The plan so far is to install a brand new Renault williams clutch cable whilst the engine is out, have an uprated clutch bolted on, i'm also gonna get the 172 soft pedal conversion just for good measure to make sure the uprated clutch doesn't feel so stiff.

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing the problem? I'm sure it's not my driving, i've been driving my girlfriends 1.1 saxo for a while, and even that can pull away and spin the wheels without too much effort, so you'd expect a 2.0 williams engine to be able to do it!

Cheers for any advice :)

cliokiz
29-03-2007, 14:27
just called tweaks
paddle clutch plate only is £147

Christ!

I'd expect an entire clutch for that price :shock:

cliokiz
30-03-2007, 10:32
bump!

MAXIBOY
30-03-2007, 10:37
sounds fine run a genuine cable replaced the pedal ratchet new ggt clutch and the softpedal system. also it worth having your flywheel face checked and maybe skimmed. and also lightened at the same time.

cliokiz
30-03-2007, 12:32
Got the part number for the pedal ratchet? Are they easy to replace?

Where can i get my flywheel lightened? Any ideas how much that would cost?

Cheers for the advice, gonna get the 172 soft pedal conversion bits from Renault when i get all my other bits and bobs.

Do you know how easy all the bits are to fit? I'm guessing gearbox needs to come off?

BristolSam16v
30-03-2007, 13:12
Gearbox needs to be off, if its just a case of replacing the standard fork with a longer one its piss easy, obv the hard part being the gearbox having to be removed/unbolted.

Amirclio
30-03-2007, 13:20
Kiz,

When your engine is out and you have all the bits let me know and i'll come take a look. I've never known anyone to go through clutches like you! :wink:

Clutch i can do for you no problem pal!

Amir

cliokiz
30-03-2007, 13:32
Nice one cheers Amir!

The guy at the garage said he'd bolt the clutch on for free, he's got a proper alignment tool so might as well get it put on whilst the engine is down there.

What you reckon?

cliokiz
30-03-2007, 13:33
Gearbox needs to be off, if its just a case of replacing the standard fork with a longer one its piss easy, obv the hard part being the gearbox having to be removed/unbolted.

The engine is coming out and the gearbox has to come off anyway as i'm fitting a new clutch, so that should make life a bit easier!

Cheers :lol:

cliokiz
01-04-2007, 19:50
bump

cliokiz
01-04-2007, 19:58
What you lot reckon to this clutch?

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=197

VIPERONE
02-04-2007, 10:52
tht will be a re badged gtt clutch or similar.. don't buy off BB tuning or similar company.

cliokiz
02-04-2007, 13:04
Well seeing as though the R5 GTT clutch seems to be the common favourite between you lot, where can i pick one up?

I'm sure i remember reading that GSF sell the uprated R5 clutches?

ash clio gtt
02-04-2007, 19:41
Well seeing as though the R5 GTT clutch seems to be the common favourite between you lot, where can i pick one up?

I'm sure i remember reading that GSF sell the uprated R5 clutches?

yup gsf sell them. make sure that you get the valeo one though because gsf sell other "uprated" clutches that are no where near as good. people have had problems with the gsf staff getting the clutches mixed up so when you ask for it make sure you get

Valeo Volvo 480 Turbo 200mm 3 piece kit in a green box. part no. R-801015 CLUTCH KIT-UPRATED R5 NEW SHAPE TURBO-HEAVY DUTY £69.00 + VAT.
:D

cliokiz
03-04-2007, 11:32
So the above clutch fits a willy no problem?

Looks like thats the one i'll have to get! Is there anyone on here actually using one on a clio?

cliokiz
05-04-2007, 01:28
bump! :cry:

mike16valver
05-04-2007, 10:28
Does the uprated R5 GTT clutch also fit a 1.8 16V :roll:

Mike

Clio_GTT
05-04-2007, 10:43
Does the uprated R5 GTT clutch also fit a 1.8 16V :roll:

Mike

yup, not that you'd need it