PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan not working

Daz0371
27-03-2007, 20:04
Cooling Fan was rattling about not connected to anything and had also chopped through it's own wires.

Took the assembly off the car and rewired it today, also tested it on the battery to make sure it worked before I refitted it and it was fine.

When refitted I ran the engine to see if it kicked in at the normal point (When needle hits half way on the water temp gauge I thought) and it didn't.

Got the haynes sado manual out and followed the test for the temp sensor in the radiator (short it out with a bit of wire) still didn't work. [Should this make the fan run even if the water temp has dropped below threshold?]

Did the same test on the temp sensor in the engine block but still nothing.

Fuse in engine bay box is ok. is there a relay for the main fan somewhere? or something else that I've missed?

Cheers

Daz

donsrno1
27-03-2007, 20:41
To get the fan to run you need to short out the connector on the wire that connects to the sensor, not the sensor itself - just incase you were doing it the wrong way round. If it then works, which it should if you tested it before then its probably the sensor on the radiator thats knackered.

Daz0371
28-03-2007, 06:30
To get the fan to run you need to short out the connector on the wire that connects to the sensor

Yeah that's what I was doing. It's been like this for some time, could that have caused the sensor in the radiator to fail?

MatBrown
28-03-2007, 18:22
Have a look for melted wires in the relay box.

Mat.

mike16valver
29-03-2007, 11:59
Funny enough i have the same issue,

I Have changed the Fan Switch, rewired it and let the engine temp get up to fan kickin temp, nothing at all,

Bridged the fan direct to the battery, No problem, fan kicked straight it.
Did notice wires have melted so had to rewire and make amendments, Now no joy at all ,

Checked all fuse's and even put a low amp fuse in fuse box to see if it would blow the fuse, no joy again,

I am completely out of thinking power, for what could be causing..?

:?

Clio_GTT
29-03-2007, 12:10
knackered fan switch, new doesn't mean it works ;)

Purple
29-03-2007, 12:33
I Have changed the Fan Switch, rewired it and let the engine temp get up to fan kickin temp, nothing at all
You need to let it hit around the 10am major mark on water dial to confirm the fan switch's operation. What are the temperature markings on the fan switch? Should read something like 93/80 or something similar. 93C to turn on and 80C to turn off.

mike16valver
29-03-2007, 12:59
I havnt checked the numbers on the fan switch, will do tho,

I let my engine, run past the second thick bar and 2 noches above that, but nothing happened at all,

Wasn't daring enough to let it go any higher.. :s

Purple
29-03-2007, 13:45
I let my engine, run past the second thick bar and 2 noches above that, but nothing happened at all
If you take the major horizontal mark as the first mark - the fan should trigger between the third and fourth major mark. Usually closer to the fourth mark when using the original fan switch. For the non-standard low temperature fan switch, I think the fan triggers when just past the third major mark.

mike16valver
29-03-2007, 13:53
Ahhhh right i see,
I have been letting my needle go basically between the 2nd and the 3rd major mark,

I have been basing it on my 1.4rt engine where the fan roughly kicks in about the 2nd major mark or just over.
I no they're different engines completely, but i thought been a bigger engine, generates 10x more heat, i thought the fan would be the same or a bit lower..?

Purple
29-03-2007, 14:12
To be perfectly clear, here's a pics of the needle between the third and fourth major mark. Just make sure the needle don't go past the fourth mark. A couple of minor notches past the fourth mark and the car becomes a geyser. :)

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/ppsun/watertemp.jpg

mike16valver
29-03-2007, 14:40
Right now were talkin, i can show you how far i let the engine go exactly b4 i ran to the keys to turn it off

Have a look, is that any close, to where the fan is suppose to kick in..?

http://www.pickupgolf.co.uk/watertemp.jpg

Purple
29-03-2007, 14:55
Can't see your picture.

In a nutshell, if the needle gets up to the fourth mark and the fan does not kick in - you have a fan problem.

mike16valver
29-03-2007, 15:05
mmmmm Picture should be there, i can see it...?

Thanks for your help Purple,
:D

Purple
29-03-2007, 15:16
Just realised we hijacked Daz0371's thread. Very sorry! :oops:

Daz0371 - Your problem look more like a failure of wiring/relay/fuse beyond the fan switch which is a bit beyond my own experience.

MatBrown
29-03-2007, 16:42
Right now were talkin, i can show you how far i let the engine go exactly b4 i ran to the keys to turn it off

Have a look, is that any close, to where the fan is suppose to kick in..?

That is about where the standard fan should kick in.

Mat.

Daz0371
29-03-2007, 20:04

This is where mine normally kicked in but now that I've rewired it and remounted it it's not even trying at all.

Daz0371
29-03-2007, 20:06
Just realised we hijacked Daz0371's thread. Very sorry! :oops:

Don't worry about it, The more info the better I say cos these cars get really annoying when you've exhausted all the logical possibilities and it still doesn't work.

Matty86
29-03-2007, 20:23
I'm getting the same problem

Temp gets up to the 4th mark and I have to switch the engine off

as soon as i switch the engine off the fan kicks in!

Just put a new switch in, and still the same problem...

Daz0371
29-03-2007, 20:33
I'm getting the same problem

Temp gets up to the 4th mark and I have to switch the engine off

Just put a new switch in, and still the same problem...

Yes that happened to mine before I rewired it.

Matty86
29-03-2007, 20:36
where did you rewire it?

MatBrown
29-03-2007, 20:51
Red and Yellow wires leading to the switch tend to break.

Mat.

Matty86
29-03-2007, 21:06
ok

I'll have a go tomorrow

Then I've just got to sort the occasional hesitation it gets...

then maybe it'll go for a week without break :?

Matty86
29-03-2007, 21:13
although... if i short out the connect at the end of the wires... the fan kicks in to life...

So how could it be the wiring?

Purple
29-03-2007, 23:26
When that happens. It's usually something is wrong with the fan switch or fan switch connector or the wires leading to the fan switch.

although... if i short out the connect at the end of the wires... the fan kicks in to life...
Check the connector is matted tightly to the fan switch or it might be that the new fan switch is not working.

Matty86
29-03-2007, 23:32
im fairly sure its on as tight as it can be...

I'm gonna try shorting the connector with the car running tomorrow, that should narrow it down to the switch (or not)

Whats the method for testing if a switch is working? connect it to a multimeter and submerge in very hot water?

Purple
29-03-2007, 23:37
Whats the method for testing if a switch is working? connect it to a multimeter and submerge in very hot water?
That might work. I suppose you could also try metering it for resistance when the car is up to temperature. Should read close to zero ohms when it's hot.

Matty86
29-03-2007, 23:51
good plan

I'll have to see if I can even find a multimeter here...

I usually nick my housemates one at uni :p

Purple
30-03-2007, 01:01
Or you could MacGyver it a battery/lightbulb circuit :D

mike16valver
30-03-2007, 10:58
Well i wish my fan even thought about kicking in after i turned my engine, lol

that would be abit better than not at all, lmao

PUZZELD :? :?

Matty86
30-03-2007, 12:49
I'll be buggered if im trying it today...

damn weather

garage is full of crap too :(

Matty86
30-03-2007, 14:25
Fan runs when the connector is shorted and the car is on...

Leads to a fault temp switch then even though it's a brand new valeo one :/

Daz0371
30-03-2007, 15:04
where did you rewire it?

Next to the fan motor housing it's self probably about 6" away

Daz0371
30-03-2007, 15:07
That might work. I suppose you could also try metering it for resistance when the car is up to temperature. Should read close to zero ohms when it's hot.

Still on about the one in the radiator right? I'm gonna give that a try

Daz0371
30-03-2007, 15:08
Red and Yellow wires leading to the switch tend to break.

Mat.

Where abouts? is there a common place? or just anywhere?

Purple
30-03-2007, 15:30
Getting crowded in here :)

Cooling Fan was rattling about not connected to anything and had also chopped through it's own wires.
Probably one of the wires still not connected properly. The fan runs on high current, so makes sure all the connections are tied properly.

Got the haynes sado manual out and followed the test for the temp sensor in the radiator (short it out with a bit of wire) still didn't work. [Should this make the fan run even if the water temp has dropped below threshold?]
If it was the fan switch on the radiator that had failed, shorting it at the fan switch should get the fan running, regardless of the radiator temperature.

mike16valver
30-03-2007, 16:34
AHHHHHHhhhhhhhh WIRES WIRES WIRES,

I am going insane, before long i will be tangled in the Loom, :s :shock:

I no it works when i wire it direct to a manual switch, No problem, so the fan works..

I wonder is there a certain thickness of the wire for the current to go through...? *speaks out aloud* :shock:

I am going to have to do some more bridging and shorting... so my hair stand further on end :shock:

Matty86
30-03-2007, 17:43
well, mine just suddenly started warking exactly where its meant to be

I'm going to do a coolant flush when the weather permits - see if its an air gap causing it

oh, and for the new coolant tank too ;)

mike16valver
02-04-2007, 09:08
I HAVE FIXED IT :D

After changing the thermostat twice (broke seal on the first one),

Getting all new connectors and rewiring it to a new temp switch,
i noticed that if i shorted the wires out with each other, the fan still wasn't kicking in, so i went back to the fuse box, but the one under the bonnet rather than the one under the glove box,

I had a look at the diagram under the lid and saw there was a fan fuse(25A) and a engine management(25A), i had a look at what fuse's were in it and there was a 30A for the Fan and a 20A for the engine management..:shock::shock:
Took them out and low and behold the 30A was blown:shock:, HAPPY DAYS, RESULT AT LAST:D

Got 2 new 25A fuse's and popped them in, let my car get to temp and WHAAALA, the sound of a fan kicking in.

took it for a spin the day after, let it get to temp, and the fan KICKED IN,
:D :D :D :D

Just like to say, thanks to everyone who posted to this thread trying to help me and the rest hu had the same problemo,

Much appreciated guys 8)

Purple
02-04-2007, 09:21
Took them out and low and behold the 30A was blown:shock:, HAPPY DAYS, RESULT AT LAST:D Grrr! Always check the *&%%$# fuses first :roll: #-o.........:D :D

mike16valver
02-04-2007, 09:33
No thats just the thing I DID, THEY WERE FINE,

That was the firs thing i checked, i took every single one of them out under the glove box,

But kinda of skimmed the ones on the top, :oops:,

But i spoke to the guy hu had the car before and he also said the same thing has happen to him, they were fine and it wasn't working and then it blew.

BAD EARTH..... :?: :?: :?:

Purple
02-04-2007, 09:51
But i spoke to the guy hu had the car before and he also said the same thing has happen to him, they were fine and it wasn't working and then it blew.:
You probably shorted the positive fan-switch wire to chassis earth and blew the fuse. Happened to me when I was rewiring my fan switch's connector. Just remember to remove the battery negative terminal when working on the electrics.

mike16valver
02-04-2007, 10:24
Thanks Purple,
:D