PDA

View Full Version : stearing colum

danlondon
27-03-2007, 13:38
Could anyone give me a link or any tip as to how i go about welding this i have a welder but dont know where to start im guessing its gone at the bottom near the stearing rack as thats where the play seems to be.

I was told you can do this with out taking out the rack ect.
Is it a big job any help would be great thanx.

Matt_16v
27-03-2007, 13:50
There is a rubber (almost like a gaitor) down near the pedals, pull this back n then you will see a bush on the UJ which wears away with time, you will be able to see the slight gap. N then just blast it with the mig in situ.

Think thats right :)

danlondon
27-03-2007, 13:53
hmmmm ok ive had the off but that doesnt seem to be where the play comes from as when i turn the stearing wheel that section moves the same amount as im turning the wheel.ill have another look.

If its not that could it be the track rod ends?
if so is that a crappy job?

Matt_16v
27-03-2007, 14:18
could be the track rod ends, quite an easy job to do though.

ae
27-03-2007, 14:51
Do a search.... Plenty of posts

Andrew

Clio_GTT
27-03-2007, 17:16
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/column.jpg

that is where it needs welding (if it is the column)

DaveH
27-03-2007, 18:48
You can get your hand on that joint in the pic whilst turning the wheel, you'll feel the twist straight away if its that, could be play in the rack or track rod ends though, or a mixture of both!

danlondon
28-03-2007, 00:34
ok so that joint in the pic is the one that i can feel from inside of the car behind that rubber gator? And its weldable on the car if that is the problem?thanx so much for the info guys its cool you can come to a site ect and get alot of good help....

Clio_GTT
28-03-2007, 09:34
ok so that joint in the pic is the one that i can feel from inside of the car behind that rubber gator? And its weldable on the car if that is the problem?thanx so much for the info guys its cool you can come to a site ect and get alot of good help....

thats what we're here for, paying subscription helps us keep going ;)