PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing done - steering still not right...

white16valver
26-03-2007, 17:46
:roll:

Right, had the nsf wheelbearing done the other week and that's helped a lot :)

However, I had to stop in an industrial park at the weekend and jack it up to check all was ok :?

I now have no movement 12-6 on each wheel, but *do* have play 9-3 on each front wheel :?

As it's on both sides and it's pretty much the same, is it the steering rack going? Or could it be both ball joints?

I'm sure I had the steering rack changed for a secondhand but newer one when mat did my willytrack conversion, but I'm not sure about the balljoints...

MatBrown
26-03-2007, 21:48
How much play is there?

Could be track rod end or the rack.

Mat.

MAXIBOY
26-03-2007, 22:40
both sides maybe the column

white16valver
27-03-2007, 20:01
Yeah, I thought it could be the column but it feels different to when it went before - there's no play in it when you're standing still as it returns to where you turned it from with no slack movement if you gently rotate it an inch either way.

I reckon there must be circa 5mm play at the wheels each way - it's quite noticeable when you're driving :(

Fecking thing...

As I have zero facilities to do anything with it I might see if I can bung Mark Fish 20 quid to look at it and diagnose the problem as he's only 17 miles away. *shrugs* :(

MatBrown
28-03-2007, 18:02
Thought the rack was pretty new off u33db?

Mat.

white16valver
29-03-2007, 18:55
So did I - will only find out if it's on a set of ramps though I guess :(

I just think it's weird how both sides have gone at once - paranoid me says if could be the garage 'tweaking' something so it gets some repeat business 'fixing' it :? but there's no way of ever knowing if that is the case.

Something's not right whatever :(

MatBrown
29-03-2007, 20:44
Did i change the column?

Mat.

white16valver
03-04-2007, 20:13
Oui - it was secondhand but not that old iirc!

Don't think it's the column as there's no play when stationery...