PDA

View Full Version : cluch cable

clio_1.816v
26-03-2007, 12:22
since i have got my car my cable has snapped 2 times, this time i put a renault own on it, was it the cable, or something else

clio_1.816v
26-03-2007, 12:32
since i have got my car my cable has snapped 2 times, this time i put a renault own on it, was it the cable, or something else

AmDaMan
26-03-2007, 12:57
depends, is it routed right? This is the main cause of it breaking as it gets too hot and snaps, also check the gromet pulled through the foot well bulkhead as it can also snap here due to rubbing.

Where does it keep snapping?

clio_1.816v
26-03-2007, 13:39
first time it snapped by the box,this time by the pedal

AmDaMan
26-03-2007, 13:59
probably just because it wasn't a genuine cable then but double check the routing is correct when you fit the new one.

Scougar
26-03-2007, 14:17
Someone did say on here that it was likly to be a worn clutch if they kepy snapping..... not to panic anyone here as I new to this cable clutch malarky.

Matthew

clio_1.816v
26-03-2007, 14:58
just had a new clutch put, prob cos it was not genuning

1995clio16v
26-03-2007, 22:22
My Experiences Of Clutch Cables;

DON'T buy non genuine ones. Ive snapped 3. Theyre crap. Theyre definately a lot lighter though. Im not imagining that neither. I dont know why but Ive found that they are.

They have always snapped at the pedal end.

I'm now on genuine renault and seems fine, no probs so far.

Im going to have another look at the weekend as it still feels a bit heavy.

mon
27-03-2007, 21:42
My Experiences Of Clutch Cables;

DON'T buy non genuine ones. Ive snapped 3. Theyre crap. Theyre definately a lot lighter though. Im not imagining that neither. I dont know why but Ive found that they are.

They have always snapped at the pedal end.

I'm now on genuine renault and seems fine, no probs so far.

Im going to have another look at the weekend as it still feels a bit heavy.

hda 2 clios and a 5gt and there all ways heavy .. does not help my ham string lol

m4rkj
27-03-2007, 22:26
i had the same problem but mine was a genuine even worse still i bought the cable then took it to 2 garages and they couldnt fit it in the end i ended up doin it my self with a little mirror ill never do another one tho

MattyH16valver
27-03-2007, 22:33
There a bastard to do....but once u get the nack there to bad. As above though....I made the mistake of buying a copied one for my hybrid...and it snapped....bought an oe one it was fine.

1995clio16v
27-03-2007, 23:13
I cannae believe it.

After saying last night that my clutch cable now seems fine, guess what...the ****ing thing went again on me in the middle of town today!

For ****s sake, this is the 5th one in 3 years.

I managed to get it home, but its ****ing embarrassing kagarooing from every standing start, i.e traffic lights.

Every ****ing traffic light on red.

I even got to a pelican crossing, there was no ****er there and it changed on me, I was shouting my ****ing head off! :twisted:

Why can't people use their heads on those crossings and just press the button if they see a line of traffic for miles, ****ing nobbers!

Every set of lights on red.

Anyway, enough of my rant.

I had a spare in my car as I always carry one with me, so got it home and made an effort of doing it 110% peoperly this time with checks.

Im going to post a guide with pics on it tomorrow to help people.

I now have it done 100% correctly. The clutch is now as slack as a prostitutes you know what. Its absolutely beautiful. Its not stiff at all. Not one bit, its real light. My foot nearly goes through the bulkhead when I press it now its that light compared to what it has been!

Almost as light as any modern car.

Basically where I was going wrong (you can call it schoolboy error), when the cable exits the bulkhead you need to have the cable go STRAIGHT DOWN and behind the steering rack, rather than round the front of the steering rack. It makes all the difference. Possibly out of the way of heat from the manifold too? Its then self explanatory from there, it clips into housings/clips.

I did find though that the cable wouldnt engage at first, into gear, the problem I was having originally with the genuine renault cable as they have changed from what they were. Well again it wouldnt engage. I literally sat there for 5mins pupming the clutch pedal and its self adjusting-ness finally corrected. I got a couple of clicks right at the end of that particular session and bobs your uncle it was there.

I cannot believe how slack the cable is now, it really is soooo slack. Improved take off too!

I'll be surprised if anyone is still readin this its that long!

Cheers.

mon
28-03-2007, 00:02
i am surprised how slack it is..

Coops
28-03-2007, 00:28
i read it all!

should of posted on this thread earlier, been sayin for months that u gotta make sure it comes straight down out of the bulkhead, ever since i did my cable! :oops:

sorry man i could of saved the day! :lol: :wink:

Purple
28-03-2007, 00:46
when the cable exits the bulkhead you need to have the cable go STRAIGHT DOWN and behind the steering rack, rather than round the front of the steering rack.
Can you post a photo of the cable routing? Thanks.

mon
28-03-2007, 01:26
you can never get a clio clutch light well you can use wrong clutch ...

1fast6
28-03-2007, 13:58
I cannae believe it.

After saying last night that my clutch cable now seems fine, guess what...the f***king thing went again on me in the middle of town today!

For f**ks sake, this is the 5th one in 3 years.

I managed to get it home, but its f***king embarrassing kagarooing from every standing start, i.e traffic lights.

Every f***king traffic light on red.

I even got to a pelican crossing, there was no f**ker there and it changed on me, I was shouting my f***king head off! :twisted:

Why can't people use their heads on those crossings and just press the button if they see a line of traffic for miles, f***king nobbers!

Every set of lights on red.

Anyway, enough of my rant.

I had a spare in my car as I always carry one with me, so got it home and made an effort of doing it 110% peoperly this time with checks.

Im going to post a guide with pics on it tomorrow to help people.

I now have it done 100% correctly. The clutch is now as slack as a prostitutes you know what. Its absolutely beautiful. Its not stiff at all. Not one bit, its real light. My foot nearly goes through the bulkhead when I press it now its that light compared to what it has been!

Almost as light as any modern car.

Basically where I was going wrong (you can call it schoolboy error), when the cable exits the bulkhead you need to have the cable go STRAIGHT DOWN and behind the steering rack, rather than round the front of the steering rack. It makes all the difference. Possibly out of the way of heat from the manifold too? Its then self explanatory from there, it clips into housings/clips.

I did find though that the cable wouldnt engage at first, into gear, the problem I was having originally with the genuine renault cable as they have changed from what they were. Well again it wouldnt engage. I literally sat there for 5mins pupming the clutch pedal and its self adjusting-ness finally corrected. I got a couple of clicks right at the end of that particular session and bobs your uncle it was there.

I cannot believe how slack the cable is now, it really is soooo slack. Improved take off too!

I'll be surprised if anyone is still readin this its that long!

Cheers.

So the revised cable with the metal end piece actually works ok??

Pics would be good mate of the routing..

@MattyH16v - I had a look at the clutch cable routing in the hybrid the other day, the cable isn't held in by any of the clips and loads of em are snapped ;) - Have bought new clips, probably not a worn clutch either now.

1995clio16v
28-03-2007, 14:12
I absolutely promise you 100% that the cable is extremely slack.

You could push it down with 2 fingers, something that I could never have done in the past.

I had the clutch done around 3 months ago, an original valeo.

I will get pictures posted.

I'll try tonight.

Coops, I think it was you that said it needs to go straight down as soon as it exits the bulkhead on another post, thats where I got it from, cheers man! You have saved the day!

I could only feel for 1 clip on the subframe the one closest to the NSF, and have just clipped it into there.

Cheers
Leigh

1995clio16v
28-03-2007, 14:16
1fast6,

Yes the cable works fine, the newer revised.

I phoned renault twice to insist that it wasn't compatible as it wouldnt engage into gear when I previously tried after it snapped and I had to revert to a copy cable.

But it definately works now.

As I said I probably sat there for a good 4-5mins pumping the clutch pedal and its self adjusting mech sorted it.

There were no clicks after a couple of mins after the initial self adjustment but right towards the end that seemed to do the trick.

It wouldnt originally engage but as I said I just persevered pumping.

You have to let it right up to the top. Take your foot off the pedal, make sure that when you are pumping its fully up to the top before you push back down.

I don't know how others will go but this definately worked for me.

Cheers
Leigh