PDA

View Full Version : LUK clutch? Ever used one?

cliokiz
25-03-2007, 17:10
I went to GSF the other day and purchased a few bits and bobs for the hybrid whilst the engine is out. Bought a cambelt, cambelt kit, clutch, R19 gearbox mount (got the rubber bit, still need the actual mount!)

I asked for a Valeo clutch, but they didn't have any, but they did say they had an LUK clutch. He mentioned they've sold loads and never heard of any problems, and that he thought they were better quality than Valeo.

Has anyone ever used one?

I'm debating whether or not to stick it in, i need a clutch thats able to take a fair bit of stick but one that doesn't make the clutch a nightmare (stiff as hell), as i've already been there with my valver engine.

Any recommendations on other clutches, or do you think the LUK will suffice?

I'm purchasing a brand new Renault clutch cable and pedal, as i've had problems with clutches slipping (even from brand new!!) for a while now, so i'm determined to get it sorted.

Basically, i had a brand new clutch fitted to my valver engine a while back, and it just slipped like hell the first time i drove it. I thought it was just me, so i went to an industrial estate, gave it some revs, and dropped the clutch, and you would expect the car to take off with some tyre squeal, but it just gradually pulled forward and the clutch slipped no end.

I took it back to the garage and they couldn't find anything wrong, but he did something with the cable and that made it much better, so i'm suspicious of that. Still wasn't perfect though.

Anyway, any advice much appreciated!

DaveH
25-03-2007, 18:10
iirc mine from gsf was luk, been in about 10k with no problems whatsoever and two pod trips but im running near standard power. Best for loads of power is uprated r5 gtt one i hear but in many cases standard is good enough for lightly tuned f7r's etc.

Was your cable routed the correct way and clipped in properly as this can cause problems if its not free to move? A new cable routed the correct way should be spot on as the pedal end adjusts automatically anyway.

cliokiz
25-03-2007, 19:20
Mine is running around 160Bhp at the moment, the cable is routed correctly i think, never had problems with it being stiff or snapping on a standard clutch, but i think it's worth changing anyway whilst the engine is out.

Sounds good if you've had no problems, i'll give it a go!

Cheers

MatBrown
25-03-2007, 19:40
I've used the LUK ones plenty of times and never had a problem.

Mat.

number1
25-03-2007, 22:40
LUK clutches is all we use at work, most of them are valeo clutches tbh, have a look on the friction plate, u may be surprised

Dave

VIPERONE
26-03-2007, 11:17
LUK are very good clutches. end of.

VIPERONE
26-03-2007, 11:18
alternatively you could buy just the paddle plate from helix and stick it in an an uprated r5 clutch carrier...thats a good saving on the kit lol.

cliokiz
26-03-2007, 21:02
Any ideas where i can get the forementioned kit Gunner?

My local garage recommended i went for an uprated clutch!! :lol: