PDA

View Full Version : Williams Suspension on a valver?

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 13:54
Would williams suspension fit on a standard valver? and if it does would it just cause it to run excessive camber?

If it does fit how could you check if it was williams suspension?

After buying the hybrid on friday something the previous owner said has just dawned on me and I'm worried it might have williams suspension (what better excuse to widetrack it though :lol: )

Thanks.

Justin..
25-03-2007, 14:25
Williams sus on a valver would cause positive camber, but Valver suspension on a Williams would cause excessive negative camber. Get some pics up mate ! Its easy (ish) to tell what you've got :)

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 14:33
Just heard back from the previous owner and its definately suspension off a williams thats on there. Its just annoying as I knew they were different but for some reason didn't think about it when he mentioned it to me.

What are the options then as I'm guessing it will eat through tyres with the current setup?

What else is require for a willy wide track?

Justin..
25-03-2007, 14:37
wishbones, ARB and driveshafts

Do the wheels lean out at the top??

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 14:38
going to have a look in a minute at the wheels. Is that definately all the other parts needed?

Justin..
25-03-2007, 14:39
Yeah thats all if you have the suspension. new track rod ends would be worth it as you have to wind them out so just aswell put new ones on

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 15:56
Heres some quick pics I just took, don't know if they really show it much though:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/DSCF0171.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/DSCF0170.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/DSCF0169.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/donsrno1/DSCF0168.jpg

If anything the wheels look as though they are like this /----\ slightly where as with williams suspension I had thought they would be like this \----/ quite a bit?

Is there anyway to tell for sure what car they are meant for, can I measure the angle between the holes for fitting to the hub and the actual strut itself?

AndyFielder
25-03-2007, 16:04
tracking places can check camber too... it doesnt look that bad, if your not taking it on the track.. anything goes really...kinda...

Im on -60mm springs at the front, /--\ to the max, but tire ware is fine tbh..

I would suggest not worrying about it for the time being, get a Williams widetrack setup on there... new tires, and your onto a winner!

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 17:37
looks like an average 16v setup TBH

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 17:40
looks like an average 16v setup TBH

Thats why I'm kind of confused though as the suspension was definately taken off a williams, but its also a 35mm lowering kit. Ones possibility I suppose is that someone put a 16v setup on the williams that these were taken off?

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 17:49
By suspension do you mean just the struts ? If you used williams struts on a 16v setup it would not look like that in a million years unless they were bent LOL.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/Clio16v-widetrack/DSC01896.jpg

is williams wide track

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 17:57
Yeah I just mean the struts. I know its not got a wide track but I'm totally confused because as I said above the suspension was definately taken from a williams, but the camber etc of the wheels looks about normal I would say.

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 18:08
Yeah I just mean the struts. I know its not got a wide track but I'm totally confused because as I said above the suspension was definately taken from a williams, but the camber etc of the wheels looks about normal I would say.

Sure it wasn't a badged up 432 16v ? did someone tell you it was from a williams or did you strip it from a williams. I couldn't see any point fitting just the shocks to a valver, very strange.

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 18:15
no, I've just bought the car. Basically the previous owner works at a scrappies and a williams came in so he put the engine from it into the valver that I bought. However, he also took the suspension (koni adjustable) off the williams and put it on the 16v. He mentioned that when I went to buy the car but even though I know they are different it didn't really register at the time for some reason. As you can see from the pictures though it doesn't seem to look any different from normal.

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 18:23
no, I've just bought the car. Basically the previous owner works at a scrappies and a williams came in so he put the engine from it into the valver that I bought. However, he also took the suspension (koni adjustable) off the williams and put it on the 16v. He mentioned that when I went to buy the car but even though I know they are different it didn't really register at the time for some reason. As you can see from the pictures though it doesn't seem to look any different from normal.

AFAIK koni don't make williams suspension, i had koni adjustables on my valver and i've never seem williams ones listed

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 18:27
Are you sure its a hybrid :shock:

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 18:30
lol, yeah I can guarantee its a hybrid - its bloody quick, lol and drives different to any valver I've driven.

I think it must just have been the wrong suspension on the williams then tbh as I've had a look and koni don't do kits for a williams, cheers dude.

donsrno1
25-03-2007, 18:32
also, rev limiter is 6.5k etc etc. Will try and put some speedo vids up later to show what its like if I get a chance.

MatBrown
25-03-2007, 19:36
Sounds to me like the williams had 16v suspension on it.

Mat.

richy
25-03-2007, 20:24
or it was a valver badged up as a williams with 2.0 fitted but std suspension

Justin..
25-03-2007, 20:24
As long as it has F7R on it some where who cares :P