PDA

View Full Version : 2 new wishbones, but steering wheel is out?

Laine_16v
24-03-2007, 20:07
Hi,

Cliolord from WC kindly fitted me somenew wishbones today

Anyway after fitting them i took the car for a spin everything was perfect, car still pulls and brakes in a straight line.

However to go straight the steering wheel is now about 30 degrees to the left?

We didnt touch the track rods e.t.c

The only idea we have is that when the car was recently tracked on the old knackered wishbones, when putting the new ones on it has "corrected" the suspension gemoetry and pushed it out of line, i could be chatting bollocks here lol.

Any ideas?

MAXIBOY
24-03-2007, 20:21
when tracking steering wheel should be clamped in the straight ahead position and then the tracking adjusted to suit. loads of places don,t do this though so check and have the tracking done.

Laine_16v
24-03-2007, 20:35
Yeah ill guess ill get it tracked again but..

Go into workshop with straight steering wheel, leave workshop with 2 new wishbones but with steering whel sitting to the left.

Doesnt make sense.

Coops
24-03-2007, 21:04
undo steering wheel, move round on spline, do back up!

provided the rack is central still, or near as, so you can turn full lock both right and left comfortably

Justin..
24-03-2007, 21:06
wishbones might have been bent when you had tracking done

MAXIBOY
24-03-2007, 21:08
yeah but it wont be central as you will have more thread on the rack one way than the other. unless it been moved before. always centralise on the steering wheel. or mark the steering wheel and measure lock both ways.

Coops
24-03-2007, 21:10
yeah but it wont be central as you will have more thread on the rack one way than the other. unless it been moved before. always centralise on the steering wheel. or mark the steering wheel and measure lock both ways.

agreed, but i was just thinkin if theres no ill effects, as in its not out on either side by a significant no. of turns and the cars runnin straight and true it wud be easier to just alter the steering wheel, did this on my old RT as it was out by around 10 degrees or so and ut was fine