PDA

View Full Version : Chaps I need your help - Life changer ahead!

Daz.
24-03-2007, 02:31
I'm depressed. :cry:

I changed careers nearly 3 years ago as my last company basically took the piss out of me and the place I work for now is even worse - I hate my job, the hours, the working away and its not only affecting me but the people I love too.

Basically it all comes down to this - I want to be a Primary school teacher like my missus, I love kids and if theres one thing I like about my current job is going to schools installing and basically being around them (no I don't want to fiddle them :lol: )

At the end of the day its partly my fault and the 2 comapnys I've worked for long term but I only did one year at college, half an apprenticeship and my current company wont allow me to do any training as they're too busy - so basically I have no written evidence of anything I'm capable of :evil:

Taking off all the bonuses I receieve and what I reckon I can cope off while I'm training I need your help in finding ANY JOB that pays around £15,600 PA.

So WHAT DO YOU DO? and HOW MUCH DOES IT PAY? and if applicable the hours so I can try and work a part time degree into my spare hours.

I'd really appreciate all your help, I'm actually getting really really down about my life and anyone who knows me will tell you thats not me.

Cheers

Darren

Daz.
24-03-2007, 02:35
Shelf stacking, pubs, retail etc.. etc..

I'm really not arsed - I used to scoff at shop work and the like I must admit but the fact I FINALLY know where i'm going in life means I'm prepared to do it for however long it takes. Not just for me but for our lass :D

Justin..
24-03-2007, 02:38
So your looking for a job that pays £300 a week on flat hours ?

I work a 40 hr week and get that. Though had to go to college for 3 years to get qualifications for it (I'm a Joiner) Imo you'd find it hard to find a job that pays that without experience/qualifications, but I've never really looked into it much.

Can't you do evening course at college etc?

Sorry if that wasn't much help :oops:

Daz.
24-03-2007, 02:48
I used to earn more in a factory in the job before this one and that was 37 hours.

To be fair, hours I can do, I'd do 50 hrs a week instead of 40 if it made up the difference.

I'd love to do evening courses but theres no way in hell I can do it with this job.

Last week for example I was in Wigan, 3 hours later I was told to pack a bag and I'll be in scotland for a month inc. weekends lol, I told them to stick weekends but the fact I can tell him to stick going to scotland or here there everywhere means I cant fully commit to a course - even online would be hard as I can't be 100% I'll always have net connection wherever I am.

I just need a local ish fixed hours job so I can make damn sure I can do courses etc.

Taylor
24-03-2007, 10:16
if you find one that pays that much let me know as i work 45 hours for 14k
basicly your going to have to take a massive pay/lifestyle cut
to train but will be worth it

Smokey McPot
24-03-2007, 10:22
Trainee Biomedical Scientist with the NHS, doing a part-time degree in London at the same time.

Its a 4 year training position, coming to the end of my 3rd currently. I earn a percentage of a Full time BMS wage until I qualify next year. It goes up in increments of 5% (plus the usual inflation increases). I earn 70% at the moment which is around £17,000 working 37.5hrs a week and finding time to study around that.

Its ****ing hard work.

Daz.
24-03-2007, 10:27
Sounds interesting though!! ^^^ didi you fall into that or is that what you wanted to do?

Matt_16v
24-03-2007, 11:42
I used to be a welder- did an aprenticeship and everything, and then thought to myself "I can't see myself still doing this when i'm 50". So I decided to change jobs for a while, and now i'm an estate agent, :oops: but we deal with large houses- 500k upwards, so the money is really good when you sell, and the basic is onbly around 12k, but you get loads of extras on top of that, car allowance, petrol etc etc. My mates at first ripped it out of me as most people in my job are just refered to as a ****ing wankers. lol! But it is a really good job for me anyway and I think I have a good career lined up for the future earning a fair whack while I'm at it.

Give it a try, theres always these kind of jobs around, I thought I would absolutely hate it, but I think i'm in the right job now.

Coops
24-03-2007, 13:04
find a temping job in an area you enjoy thats at least 6 months to a year contract and then u wont care too much about it, will be getting the experience you need and have time to study outside of work and get some more qualifications to boot.

Lee Keefy
24-03-2007, 15:24
bin man!!!!!!!!!!!! 20k per year.

4 days a week(tue to fri) dont work mondays but if its a bank holiday get paid double time :?

start at 7,usually finish for 12 but got a new driver now so at home for 9.15 early or 11.30 late finish

have to run about though :wink:

FATBOY
24-03-2007, 16:00
i work as a plumbing and heating engineer for a loft conversion company.. wont say how much it pays but lets just say im happy with it.. got a company van,weekly pay,overtime, and all the lads on the firm are a great bunch and we have such a laugh all the time... this is the first job ive been settled in since 2001! its taken a long time but im finally happy...

the main problem mate is that if you want to change career and train then you will only earn a trainees wage. :(

J o n
24-03-2007, 16:05
I work as a Network support analyst and meridian switch tech, hours are 35 per week min, but overtime is every weekend at double bubble and isn't really optional... have the capacity to earn a fair bit if you can be bothered... I made £3800+ last month after the tax man visited me and dry bummed me

Don't do a great deal either, mainly surf the net as most of my work can only be done out of hours... I love it though

2 live
24-03-2007, 16:25
and u cant afford a trip to the ring????? sheesh...thats double my take home an i have a mort to pay lol

DaveH
24-03-2007, 16:44
I work as a Network support analyst and meridian switch tech, hours are 35 per week min, but overtime is every weekend at double bubble and isn't really optional... have the capacity to earn a fair bit if you can be bothered... I made £3800+ last month after the tax man visited me and dry bummed me

Don't do a great deal either, mainly surf the net as most of my work can only be done out of hours... I love it though

Jesus that one of those job titles that just completely baffles me and im none the wiser lol What ever it is you do i wish i had that sort of pay packet before tax never mind after!

Fusionrs
24-03-2007, 17:06
the main problem mate is that if you want to change career and train then you will only earn a trainees wage. :(

Youd think that...

Im an electrician (fully qualified) and earn enough to be happy now, but like you say my training wage wasnt all that.

Im 2 years out of my time now and now y company have started taking on older apprentices (usually 18 - 30, but there are exceptions), and since there older and 'wiser' even tho they know naff all electrically they start them on improvers wage which is £9.30 (ish). Doesnt mean a bad wage on an offered minimum of 45 hours per week! (38 basic, 7 at overtime).

big hp
24-03-2007, 17:39
I'm a bricklayer and can earn silly money.

But what i'd suggest to you is hod carrying. Your outside all the time, get a wicked tan and get paid £100 a day so you could get away with working 3 days.

richy
24-03-2007, 19:22
im a RTE (renault technician) and take around 20k at the mo, but im due a pay rise as im a low earner compared to the rest of the RTE's at ours!

i work 42.5 hours during the week and normally extra 4 hours on saturdays at time and half, but tbh i wouldnt advise moving into this job its wank! im sick of it now, been a mechanic/tech etc since i was 16!

nyk
24-03-2007, 20:01

Jesus that one of those job titles that just completely baffles me and im none the wiser lol What ever it is you do i wish i had that sort of pay packet before tax never mind after!

LOL

Dave it means he is network support for a company ie in the IT department and Meridian is a telephone system that lots of offices use, he is a technician for the telephone system also. :D

15K a year is not a lot of money AT ALL. And can easily be achieveable by working in a call centre or such like. Generally these sort of things are shift work, a friend of mine works in customer service for an insurance company and earns around 17k pa, which still is not a lot, but sounds enough for what you need.

I did my diploma fast track in the evnings over a year whilst working full time and it is hard work, finding the energy to do case studies and attend college/uni 3 times a week after work takes its toll.

It was worth it though as it has now put me in the position where I can work only 20 hours a week for nearly 30K pa. The hard slog is worth it in the end.
Keep your chin up daz and look on Fish4jobs.

:D

Daz.
24-03-2007, 20:56
:approve:

Lots to mull over there! don't forget chaps I'm only looking for a stop gap (well unless it was fantastic) so I can do the training - I'm not looking to jump into something that means lots of training and obviously low wages...

Lots of looking ahead - gonna try to enjoy my last weekend before serious hunting begins!

RS-Steve
24-03-2007, 22:01
thought about non teaching assistant??? my ex did it for a bit while she got her quals to become a teacher

cliorod
25-03-2007, 13:51
Darren
As you live in Blackburn,why not give ADECCO :wink: ( Sorry for the plug moderators :oops: ) Agency a ring I will pm you details if you want.They got me a part time job with Kennametal( Engineering tips & cutters etc).They were constantly asking if I wanted more hours etc :roll: ~~ and I eventually got a weekend job at Promethean :shock: :roll: (Whitebirk Estate).
I am now back in engineering and loving every minute of it :lol: :roll: :lol: ~~~ But still getting the discounts on the Renault parts. :wink:

Daz.
25-03-2007, 20:29
^^ that would be good - I work with a lot of promethian stuff now - infact the next few weeks I'm installing them!

FlamingMonkey
25-03-2007, 21:25
hehe I applied for job at Promethian, small world

Joel
25-03-2007, 21:27
Im a Student, Doing all my Electricians and engineering Qualifications

By the end of this Year i'll have the following qualifactions:

National Diploma (Electrical engineering) (Same as having 3 A levels)
City and Guilds 2391 (Electricains)
NVQ 2 In PEO (Engineering)
Key Skills Level 2 (Needed for any Apprentischip)
16th Edition wiring regulations (Electricains needed for wiring up)

The Pay I have heard with these Qualifactions is pretty high, i have more qualifactions then my dad hes an electrican and earns around £40k a Year
thats 40 Hours a week, Monday to Friday.

richy
25-03-2007, 21:46
having loads of qualifications dont always mean you will get good wages, esp with a lack of experience, we have had loads of ppl with more paper quals then me for example and have been useless and earn sod all!

Joel
25-03-2007, 21:53
I no im not saying i will mate, them qualifactions Inc Pratical ones

I.E Nvq 2, is all wiring what i would do in a House.

But for electricains u need qualifactions by Law to wire up, im not saying ill earn anywhere near £40k. Just an example me dads been a sparkie for 20year so yea hell earn loads more then me

summeh
25-03-2007, 22:55
I work for myself, do the hours I want, and pay myself what I want.

Sounds all roses, but the reality is that in the beginning its very hard, you need to be super-motivated and have zero social life. After a few years though you can really reap the rewards.

Nothing quite like the satisfaction of working for yourself, then again its not every ones cup of tea.

I wouldn't rely on qualifications to much, mind you this may depend on what industry your going for. I have a degree in computing, but in all honesty I would probably have been better off if I hadn't wasted 4 years of my life getting it.

summeh
25-03-2007, 23:00
By the way you mention that your last company "Took the piss out of you"? Do you mean literally? If so then that's bullying and sounds like you had to quit as it was getting you down etc? In which case you could take them to the cleaners :wink:

Daz.
25-03-2007, 23:04
^^^ well basically I just had too much on my shoulders for not enough pay or praise for keeping them out of the shit, they were totally within their right to do it though and I was totally within my right to **** off as I did :D

Dancliovalver
25-03-2007, 23:14
have a talk with my missus daz, if your any good on the fones, shes started with halifax in their claims department for home insurance and now she is workin for a lose adjusters called crafords for 20k, not bad i thought :lol:

Smokey McPot
26-03-2007, 11:07
Sounds interesting though!! ^^^ didi you fall into that or is that what you wanted to do?

50/50

Science interests me, and the job was around when i was looking for something.

Ininitally the wage was only 10k....but Agenda for Change is a wonderful thing :D

J o n
26-03-2007, 12:10
and u cant afford a trip to the ring????? sheesh...thats double my take home an i have a mort to pay lol

seriously mate... I'm skint always... got loads of debt I had to clear from the Williams mainly and you know me mate, I'm not one to sacrifice my social life, so did the stupid things and used credit cards and ran up overdrafts because I knew I'd still be able to pay it off... well thinking like that for too long ****s you over, so now I have little social life left in the pursuit of clearing debt lol.

Dave, as Nyk says, I'm a IT bod, look after networks and servers (well, not as much these days) and do the Meridian telephony which is a full time job in itself... and more so, there's 24 hours a weekend overtime if I ever want it, so there's the scope to go into super tax pretty easily if you're not careful, I do as little OT as possible though...

1fast6
26-03-2007, 13:46
Glad to know that people on telephony pbx support get decent money for it. I've learnt loads of avaya IP and definity stuff while being on placement so might start doing it after uni :P

Daz, if you definitely want to leave your profession, there are so many different routes. If it is just about earning over a certain amount, you could just walk into any agency and pick something that has overtime available or meets the basic. It's just about whether you are willing to give up on all your previous efforts to break into the teaching sector. But you also have to think long term. 15k is sod all like nyk said so if you do decide to move sector, try and have a long term game plan for climbing the ladder and earning a better wage.

Good luck.

Danny-ACE!
26-03-2007, 18:13
I am a Polymer Technician Apprentice.
I work with Injection Moulding machines and we mould parts for all sorts of different companys that do lots of different things. We mainly make water fittings and large gas pipe couplers.
I have been there for 7 months now and I am enjoying it.
Im on 12k at the moment. Its a struggle to run my car and have a social life but I just about manage it. Not bad wages for first year apprentice though I suppose.

16v_russ
26-03-2007, 18:32
i work for vw in parts,i on 15k basic and with me bonus's i can take home 19.5k approx