PDA

View Full Version : Turbo conversion for williams

simonr85
22-03-2007, 16:25
I was wondering what parts would be needed and a rough cost for this.

Would be looking at doing all the work with a little help from my friends.

Is it possible to have a conversion done for less than £2000 that is reliable? am thinking about getting another williams as want to keep the 1 i have standard

Justin..
22-03-2007, 16:42
You could do it for 2k but not properly

simonr85
22-03-2007, 17:02
You could do it for 2k but not properly

? would it be unreliable?

whats a realistic figure (i wont be paying labour)

Justin..
22-03-2007, 17:05
Well, without labour you could pssibly do it for 2-3k. I take it your going DIY? MAXIBOY will be along soon no doubt as he is doing a turbo conversion currently

Scougar
22-03-2007, 17:17
They only prob I see with a turbo conversion for DIY, is the cost of the ECU. (not sure where the standard modified stands on that though).

The other major cost is low comp pistons (Stan may tell you it fine to run high compression with a turbo, but still waiting for a response to that... :roll: :P )

You can pick up earls connections(braided oil/water lines stuff), second hand garrett turbo for very cheap. I would prob get the exhaust manifold from BB performance, but manufacturer/adapt everything else, to reduce cost.

Matthew

ash clio gtt
22-03-2007, 18:05
can use renault 21 turbo injectors and map sensor with fastchip ecu if you happy with low boost version to cut costs. should also be able to leave the engine internals as they are for low boost. can use a t28 turbo from a pulsar or nissan s14 200sx. there are loads of oe intercoolers that could be used such as the cossie 2wd one. will also need a new clutch, a r5gtt uprated clutch will be fine for low boost.

if you are doing it to a williams can always generate some extra cash by selling the williams engine and using a valver engine to turbo.

if i was you though i would try get stand alone management like adaptronic, it isnt that much more money in the scheme of things and at least then if you get the urge to go for more power by getting low comp forged pistons etc you can.

stan
22-03-2007, 19:11
They only prob I see with a turbo conversion for DIY, is the cost of the ECU. (not sure where the standard modified stands on that though).

The other major cost is low comp pistons (Stan may tell you it fine to run high compression with a turbo, but still waiting for a response to that... :roll: :P )

the cost of an ecu is peanuts in comparison to the rest of the work of doing it right.

yours and mine definition of what works are CLEARLY different.

what response are you waiting for?

nyk
22-03-2007, 19:26
It says he's waiting to know if it is OK to run a turbo without low comp pistons.

I believe it is on a low boost conversion only, for bigger boost you will need the lower compression. See K Tech website for full details mate.
:D

Justin..
22-03-2007, 20:25
K-tec dont advertise the turbo kit any more though but stuill have pistons and con rods

VIPERONE
22-03-2007, 20:35
low boost self sourced parts can be had for £1500

high boost for just shy of £2000

big ££ parts are the manifold and down pipe and the ecu chip.

MAXIBOY
22-03-2007, 21:10
if your going to the expense of fitting a turbo i say for the extra 160 quid go high boost. every thing else is needed for both anyway. fast chip will run both. lots of money if not running high boost. problem is the turbo conversion is only the tip of the iceberg. you need clutch brakes good suspension gearbox rebuild to get the most out of it. done properly i reckon at least for grand in bits. cheaper to but one done really. ask gunner or coops. one for sale on bb now i think.

Scougar
23-03-2007, 01:04
what response are you waiting for? A reply about how much it would cost to build a reliable engine running high boost on a high compression engine (12:1 i believe was your quote, and I suggested running 1.5 bar and reliable to 50k miles....) but i'm looking for a fight so bring yah handbag hehe :p (can't press enter or firefox crashes so NEW PARAGRAPH > I am not saying it can be done 'properly' for cheap, just that it could be done relatively 'cheaply' if you DIY a bit and are resourceful. And yes... i totally agree with maxiboy.. brakes and clutch need attention also (read: first).

stan
23-03-2007, 12:08
This is just a repeat of the last thread!

remember these following points, so we dont have to discuss it again :D

yes, it will work "on the cheap"..ive never said otherwise. What I have said is its not something I would do as its not adressing all issues surrounding the operation of a FI engine..im sorry, but dropping the Cr a shit load doesnt cut it on the scheme of things.
compression ratio and intake manifold pressure arent mutually exclusive...so dont necessarily have to scrifce one for the other...yes , its the trend on entry level systems, but not true if proper development is carried out.

I think the problem we are having here is we are looking at things from the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Scougar
23-03-2007, 13:20
I'd agree with that :) (I won't say anymore).

Matthew

Scougar
23-03-2007, 13:22
low boost self sourced parts can be had for £1500

high boost for just shy of £2000

big ££ parts are the manifold and down pipe and the ecu chip.

for reference.. what do you consider low and high boost levels to be? (psi/bar).

Matthew

MAXIBOY
23-03-2007, 19:01
think low boost means as much as you can run on standard pistons with a 0.6mm thinker head gasket. high boost means as much as you want to run dropping the compression to between 7.5 and 8.5 to one using a standard gasket.

Coops
24-03-2007, 00:45
mines low boost, h/g is thicker but head is skimmed to keep CR standard supposedly, rest of engine is totally std and it runs 9-10 PSi, 217bhp

david932
26-03-2007, 21:54
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-Clio-1-8-16v-2-0-Williams-TURBO-KIT_W0QQitemZ120102314506QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

this should help do it for under £2000 :wink:

MAXIBOY
26-03-2007, 22:28
no turbo downpipe hoses charge cooler etc