PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 8v

tobi_rsi
21-03-2007, 21:47
as above,just a stab in the dark, but is it possible to make my rsi engine a 2.0l 8v??

Tobi

ash clio gtt
22-03-2007, 11:38
i beleive so if you fit a crank from a 2 litre volvo 480. question is why would you want to do it?

donsrno1
22-03-2007, 11:52
There is a 2.0 bottom end that is a straight fit iirc. I think its from a 2.0 8v laguna but I'm not 100% sure.

Justin..
22-03-2007, 14:58
Iirc for teh power gains its not worth it? Probabl;y get a bigger power hike if you dropped in a 16v lump

tobi_rsi
22-03-2007, 17:57
i used to be a vauxhall man,when choosing an engine for a nova two benefits of the 2l 8v over the 16 valve is they were lighter, as made for a better handling car, also loads or low end torque low down the rev's, obviously a 16v would be quicker over 1/4m, but loads of low end torque is perfect for the twisties by me!! now i dont know if the same applies to renault,, but i find that the rsi is gutless and flat low rev's. and i've heard the same about the 1.8 16v

Smudger
22-03-2007, 18:08
yea if i remember correctly the Laguna was fitted with a 2.0l 8V maybe you could drop one of those in if you really wanted to?

ash clio gtt
22-03-2007, 18:13
i used to be a vauxhall man,when choosing an engine for a nova two benefits of the 2l 8v over the 16 valve is they were lighter, as made for a better handling car, also loads or low end torque low down the rev's, obviously a 16v would be quicker over 1/4m, but loads of low end torque is perfect for the twisties by me!! now i dont know if the same applies to renault,, but i find that the rsi is gutless and flat low rev's. and i've heard the same about the 1.8 16v

can see what your thinking but it would be a right ballache. if you want torque etc but on a bit of a budget go for the 1.7 8v turbo engine out of a volvo 480. they have 120bhp as standard but can get them upto 200bhp relitivly easily and cheap. they are basicaly your rsi engine but turbocharged. it would have alot more torque than you could get from a 2 litre n/a car.

Justin..
22-03-2007, 18:20
I thought RSi's had good low down torque :? Mini Williams Winston reffered hem as iirc

tobi_rsi
22-03-2007, 18:23
is this a relativly easy conversion?? and are the engine's tuneable?? you dont really see many aftermarket performance part's for a volvo!! lol

ash clio gtt
22-03-2007, 18:33
is this a relativly easy conversion?? and are the engine's tuneable?? you dont really see many aftermarket performance part's for a volvo!! lol

conversion would be easy would just need the engine, ecu and wiring loom, may have to get a downpipe made up to fit your exhaust. performance parts have to be adapted to fit but there are a few people with them in r5's that have 200bhp on standard internals. the ecu can be remapped to a point, the only problem people have on the standard ecu is the rev limit which is under 7k so does limit the potential power.

there are people on the renault turbo owners club (www.rtoc.org) who are very good with these engines and are getting real good power with them, they also have the ability to remap the standard ecu.

cliolord
22-03-2007, 20:45
I have a friend who runs a williams/meggy bottom end (F7R) with a 1800 RSi cylinder head. The head has been worked (gas flowed/ported) pulls really well low down torque is pretty good seeing as its been cammed and mapped aswel. Not sure what power figures are tbh but it is definitly not far away from my hybrid. Its running in a 1.2 RL shell aswell which is totally stripped. He likes it as there's no bonnet vent or anything. Steel wheels aswell lol

tobi_rsi
22-03-2007, 22:00
that sounds like a plan, i love torqey engines, you cant beat it when it feels like you could pull a house down as soon as you get you're foot on the loud pedal!!

ash clio gtt
22-03-2007, 23:41
that sounds like a plan, i love torqey engines, you cant beat it when it feels like you could pull a house down as soon as you get you're foot on the loud pedal!!

you need a turbocharged engine then with a vnt turbo, unless you plan on fitting a v8 in a clio :lol:

Clio_GTT
23-03-2007, 18:34
Laguna 2.0 8v bottom end goes on the RSi head AFAIK

Coops
24-03-2007, 00:43
ai, use a guna b/e out of 2.0 RT model, be interesting n all as dont know if its been done, only specualted! 8)

Turbo doesnt always seem the answer as i feel mine there isnt enough low down torque, got to wait for turbo to kick in before a decent delivery comes, but i need to drive it more to see for sure! :twisted:

Purple
24-03-2007, 00:54
Wouldn't a F7R remapped for better low end torque be ideal for what you planned? Not sure about the weight diff to a 2L 8V though, but even with a standard tune F7R, there already decent lowdown torque to accelerate out of a slow corners.

tobi_rsi
24-03-2007, 01:05
i just want to do somehing different, im never going t have the quickest car out there, but it would be nice to have a quick car, done differentl, instead of just dumping a 2l16v the same as everyone else, thanks for responses, been a great help!!

Tobi

cliolord
24-03-2007, 18:16
i just want to do somehing different, im never going t have the quickest car out there, but it would be nice to have a quick car, done differentl, instead of just dumping a 2l16v the same as everyone else, thanks for responses, been a great help!!

Tobi

it is the way forward thats why though mate 8) plus i didnt just drop it in, i got Stan to rape it first :lol:

Clio_GTT
25-03-2007, 10:24
Could even use the laguna 2.0 8v bottom end on the volvo 440 turbo head making a 2.0 8v turbo, very torquey but will need an aftermarket ECU to run it all and maybe the pistons dishing, should be ok for low boost, could maybe use 2 headgaskets to decrease compression.

Gray
02-04-2007, 10:51
as above,just a stab in the dark, but is it possible to make my rsi engine a 2.0l 8v??

Tobi

Ive got an RSi myself, looked into doing this conversion last summer and i am 99% sure it would work..
They had the engine at my local scrappy and had a word with the bloke there, iirc we came to the conclusion that you need to swap a few parts from the RSi to laguana bottom end but apart from that its a straight swap!

Oh and he only wanted £125 for the full engine :wink: ver cheapo!

u33db
02-04-2007, 16:56
I've got a 1.8 RSI in my 5 atm and am looking into the 2ltr 8v.

Yes the bottom end is a straight swap.

You'll get the 2ltr 8v BE out of lagunas and meganes.

If you're swapping from an 1.8 RSI i'd choose the 2ltr BE 8v BE end over dumping a 16v in as the torque is pretty much on par with a williams lump (altho outright bhp isn't)...makes for a better drive.

Tuning wise...you won't get much extra out of it but its a cheap swap which is the bonus. The formula renault used to get their 1.7s (same block) to about 170bhp IIRC but i doubt that could be easily achived on a road engine.

As i said, worth it as its cheap but if you want outright bhp get a williams lump.

tobi_rsi
03-04-2007, 10:36
thankyou for all youre help guys, i think im going to go ahead with this when my bank account allow's me to do so!!

as for tuning possibilities, im guessing having the head ported and polished would still be good, also a chip??

anyone reccomend a chip to go for??

im pretty sure they wouldnt make them off the shelf for an rsi head and a laguna bottom end!

Tobi

Gray
03-04-2007, 17:44
thankyou for all youre help guys, i think im going to go ahead with this when my bank account allow's me to do so!!

as for tuning possibilities, im guessing having the head ported and polished would still be good, also a chip??

anyone reccomend a chip to go for??

im pretty sure they wouldnt make them off the shelf for an rsi head and a laguna bottom end!

Tobi

Ive got a Superchip on my RSi only made a slight difference really..

You would be best gettin the car RR'd and mapped

tobi_rsi
03-04-2007, 21:26
i dont know why o thought this, but i had it n my head thtthe ecu isnt mappable, an i would have to buy an aftermarket item??

Crossers
05-04-2007, 11:46
Easy conversion really, the 2.0l 8v lumps are everywhere and cheep.

For any of you RSi people, i have a ported RSi head with reprofiled cam sat in my garage. Never been used! Would be nice on the
2.0 bottom end, that was my original plan. However i got the work done, then bought a 172 so never got to put it on!

Still a huge fan of the RSi, owned one since the 172 n'all...didn't install the head through sheer lazyness!!

For a small donation it's urs.

Paul