PDA

View Full Version : Changing a gearbox?

BristolSam16v
21-03-2007, 00:21
Now I know there are already countless threads on this as I've done a good search but if people can confirm if this is how its done?

1. Remove bonnet/driveshafts/airbox, drain coolant + box oil (before taking shaft out obv), remove coolant pipes + box mount while supporting the engine on a block+jack?

2. This is what Im a bit unsure of... take off 2 n/s subframe bolts and loosen the other 2?? is the subframe just going to hang about 30cms under the car, is this going to put too much pressure on the other 2 bolts? Do I need to disconnect anything to drop half the subframe (like the pinch bolt on the rack/column?)

3. Undo gearbox bolts/starter motor (need to change it anyway)

4. Slide? box slightly towards n/s and lift out?

Also I have no idea about clutches, does it come off in the bell housing :S also on refitting is it much easier to have an alignment tool as was looking at them on ebay and they're pretty cheap anyway.. if so which one do i want?

Anything else I should look out for when doing it?
Thanks.

DaveH
21-03-2007, 01:15
I find the best way is to drop it out the bottom. No need to drop the coolant or remove pipes.

To save too much messing about drop the whole subframe down to allow space under the car to drop the gearbox out- 4 bolts, disconnect from wishbones, 2 brace bars to inner wing (one either side), dogbone mount and steering rack/column pinch bolt.

Drive shafts out (n/s bolted, o/s has pin to knock out). Gear linkage off.

Jack under sump to hold engine when dropping box, undo and drop out. The clutch will be bolted to the flywheel, best to use an alignment tool, can be done by eye but is very fiddly.

BristolSam16v
21-03-2007, 01:55
So I don't need to disconnect the pas pipes or anything? How far in the air is the car going to have to be as I dont have ramps or anything? Also the clutch is brand new so don't need it changed so can I just leave it on the flywheel?

donsrno1
21-03-2007, 02:05
Yeah, if the clutch is brand new theres no need to touch it. When I did the box on my old one I took it out the top, but everyone who's done both ways seems to recommend doing it out the bottom so that would probably be best.

DaveH
23-03-2007, 18:41
Its up to you really, i didnt disconnect the pas pipe that runs along that side on the subframe, i undid it from the subframe (clips) so i could drop the subframe. I used small axle stands but put them as far back along the chassis rails as i could on the highest setting (just had enough space) Just leave the clutch if it is new, if not its worth doing whilst the box is out.

Danlp6
24-03-2007, 02:44
i find it alot easier through the top, its quicker too.