Exacly as the oringinal run (phase1)

They offer this club first refusal.

Price is £15,000

Numbered plaque form 1 to 30 in roman numerals

Would you buy one?

Smokey McPot
12-02-2005, 23:01
NEVER, and if i had the money NEVER.

in fact i might buy one, blown it up, film it and send it renault.

Daz
12-02-2005, 23:41
No, cus' mine isn't probably far off a new one, and wasn't anywhere near 15k, hehe.

KingStromba
12-02-2005, 23:42
What did you pay for yours?

Daz
12-02-2005, 23:56
Well I bought mine on the bodywork - no paint which is what makes a car mint to me (and Mat, heh) etc.. so was pretty rare. It took us about 18 months to find two Williams with no paint, so I had to have it. We were looking most weeks at one point, too.
It needed a couple of mechanical things which we knew about from the start - it's now at Mat's having a lot of work done.. It basically needs a clutch, but, whilst engine is out, it's having the lot done.. cambelt, alternator, plugs, leads - anything replaceable really. Steering column being done too as a bit of play going on, so the feel of it should be near on perfect, hopefully.

At the end, I'm guessing the car + the making it mechanically mint, it's bout 4.5k -> 5k.. roughly.. which, I don't think is too bad for a car like a Williams.

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 00:03
What happened to the Williams 3 you had?

Daz
13-02-2005, 00:05
Sold it last year sometime.

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 00:07
You just wanted a better one?

Daz
13-02-2005, 00:09
I wanted which hadn't had paint..

The 3 drove so mint.. it was perfect mechanically.. but the 2 hadn't be painted, so.. I took the plunge with a view to make it drive mint.. and that's finally happening. :lol:

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 00:12
So youll never paint it? What about stone chips?

Daz
13-02-2005, 00:18
Well, bonnet don't matter cus' it's a bolt on item. Same as front wings, bumpers etc.. easily swapped.

The bits I'd be dubious about painting are rear arches, roof and sills - cus' once they painted, thats it. If rust gets bad on the rear arches, I'd probably paint them.. but I'd probably wait months looking at different jobs to get the best done.. dunno, wanna enjoy it being none-painted for now :lol:

Stonechips etc.. paint the bonnet, cus', if I ever wanted an unpainted bonnet, I could wait for ages and when one comes up, just put it on.. heh.

Guess it again depends on what ya want from a car..

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 00:54
You dont see paint or rusty arches when your taking a fast right hander at full chat.

You do feel the dodgy steering column, the broken spring and the blowing exhaust.

Just differing opinions but id go mechanical soundness over looks anyday.

Obviously both are preferable

summeh
13-02-2005, 01:51
nah wouldn't buy one. Firstly I love my 0389 to bits, secondly, im skint after buying my 0389. :shock:

MatBrown
13-02-2005, 12:57
KS,

It's not that we don't look after the mechanical side as well but that is easy to make mint whereas once the car has had paint you can't make it mint in my opinion.
There are very few Willys i have seen that i would class as mint, off the top of my head it's mine, Daz's and 2live's.

Mat.

2 live
13-02-2005, 12:58
yeah but dodgy column is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to fix than a rusty arch

personally i wasnt really arsed about mechanical side of things wen looking for mine..i wanted a genuine williams 1, with genuine bodywork/wheels etc...in standard condition......the fact that the 1 i got fit all the things i was looking for and exceeded my needs as well......

well bought it as soon as id pulled up behind it lol

and this was after scouring the country for 3 months before hand....159 was the 6th i went to look at that day, with cars in manchester, liverpool, wolverhampton, huddersfield, and somewhere else down south way as well as mine in the same day.....was a fukkin loooong day but i got wot i wanted lol

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 12:59
nah wouldn't buy one. Firstly I love my 0389 to bits, secondly, im skint after buying my 0389. :shock:

You need to send the details of your car for the register summeh :wink:

MatBrown
13-02-2005, 13:04
Yeah Jon,

I've done some miles looking at supposedly 'Mint' williams!!!

Mat.

2 live
13-02-2005, 13:07
i drove to london once to see a minter...FRSH etc etc etc ...got there...it was stuck in the back of a barn, no SH, bumper hangin off, rusty arches, no keys......walked away quickly.....bird sellin it was nice tho lol

Daz
13-02-2005, 13:07
Yeah Jon,

I've done some miles looking at supposedly 'Mint' williams!!!

Mat.

:lol:

Never! Us? Go to look a mint Williams and it be crap? No... :roll: :lol:

MatBrown
13-02-2005, 13:09
Don't even mention the cup of tea offer at Worthing!

Mat.

Daz
13-02-2005, 13:09
Don't even mention the cup of tea offer at Worthing!

Mat.

Would I? :P :lol:

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 13:13
LOL, i just bought the first one i saw but made sure it had a very comprehensive service history before i went to see it. It would have had to be pretty ****ed for me not to buy it. The time i saved not travelling around not looking at hundreds of cars i just did some over time at work to pay for new things.

It all comes down to what you want from a car. I didnt care about rusty arches as IMO they are much easier to fix than mechanical problems. For a start, you know what, where and how the rusty arch is as you can see it. You just take it to a body shop point at it and pay some money and its gone. Mechanical problems are more hassel. First you have to find out what the problem actually is. The amount of problems people have that trained mechanics cannot work out are numerous. Then you have to find the right parts and someone with the expertese to fit them. IMO its just more hassle. You go to one place and the steering play is the rack, somewhere else its the column, somewhere else its the inner joint somwhere else its this or that, ad infinitum. Rust is rust. You see it, you point, its gone.

Fair play if you are mechanically minded like yourselves you are probably doing the right thing. But to a non-mechanic i would ALWAYS say get a car that is mechanically sound over one that looks mint.

I can see what you are saying. Each to their own. Having a car that is painted really isnt a big deal to me. Im more concerned about whether it has crashed. :D

Daz
13-02-2005, 13:20
Fair play if you are mechanically minded like yourselves you are probably doing the right thing. But to a non-mechanic i would ALWAYS say get a car that is mechanically sound over one that looks mint.

True, if Mat wasn't so great and was doing my car, I wouldn't have it - simple. It'd just cost too much in labour to get things put right. I'd have to sell it and get something easier/cheaper to fix.

2 live
13-02-2005, 13:21
hey the only cars iv been to see that are as advertised are 2....1 being the willy 159, and a red valver ....lol

got a nice brew with the valver too :wink:

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 13:22
Its quality when you go round a see a car for sale and the old guy gets the tea on. Class

Daz
13-02-2005, 13:23
Its quality when you go round a see a car for sale and the old guy gets the tea on. Class

Not in my experience.
We got offered a cup of tea at the mintest Williams EVER.

The problem was, it was crap.. and it was also the other end of the country.

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 13:26
All the more reson to drink all his tea and eat all his buscuits. :wink:

Daz
13-02-2005, 13:29

We just left demoralised.. :cry: :lol:

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 13:29

We just left after demolishing his house.. :cry: :lol:

:shock:

MatBrown
13-02-2005, 13:35
hey the only cars iv been to see that are as advertised are 2....1 being the willy 159, and a red valver ....lol

got a nice brew with the valver too :wink:

Which red valver would that be then?

Mat.

2 live
13-02-2005, 13:36
was some fukkin rotten thing adi picked up a while back lmao

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 13:38
Is that the one that was for sale on CS with the pics infront of some building down an ally?

MatBrown
13-02-2005, 13:38
Haha.

The owner did well to get rid of that thing!

Mat. :cry:

J o n
13-02-2005, 16:18
i reckon that at the time of making the Williams they should have made people specify the choice of colours for the car, right down to alloy colours, then you would have some ultra rare cars.

Enid
13-02-2005, 16:30
Whats wrong with getting a car resprayed, surely if they have the correct paint code then the colour will be the same? only your car will look brand new.

2 live
13-02-2005, 16:39
its 1 for the purists im afraid enid lol

a painted car is not original...mine looks a bit of a mess at mo, but was thinkin, new wings n bonnet painted, n keep the original ones as they are for future lol.sad i know

Enid
13-02-2005, 16:44
Understand what your saying but how many classic cars have not been restored in some part of their life, not many I bet. I see it as a nessecary evil in order to get the car looking mint. As long as what ever you change is the same as the original i.e. the paint the came colour then what does it matter?

Daz
13-02-2005, 18:24
Having paint is bad enough.. but will be needed at some point, probably.

A full respray, well, I wouldn't even look at a car with a respray, let alone consider buying it, heh.

An original, unpainted car is *mint*. True mint. :lol:

Daz
13-02-2005, 18:25
Whats wrong with getting a car resprayed, surely if they have the correct paint code then the colour will be the same? only your car will look brand new.

*No one* can spray as good as the factory. You get mask lines, dust in the paint, bits of dirt, small "fish eyes" - all of which I can notice..

FATBOY
13-02-2005, 19:10
true mate! resprays wont ever be as good because the spraying process is done in a controlled atmosphere!

Steve a
13-02-2005, 19:14
LOL the standard factory paint quality is poor. Re painting doesnt bother me in the slightest. I'd rather have a "mint" car bodywise (done to a high standard of course) than one with stone chips scratches etc IMO.

Enid
13-02-2005, 19:50
^^^^^^ I'm with him on this one. My car has original paint work (I think lol) which is not bad considering its age but whenever I clean and wax it the scratches and chips on it nearly bring a tear to my eye :cry: So even the the paint is ok I would never call it "mint", however if I had the car resprayed and it looked all nice and new then I probably would refer to it as "mint". Well thats my theory anyway lol.

FATBOY
13-02-2005, 19:57
must admit tho my williams is far from perfect! the arches have been done(if u look closer u will see that they have been done) but im not bothered! stone chips on the front as usual,a tiny bit of bubbling around the rear wiper,and 2 tiny scabs on the rear. but for a car of its age its done well! unlike any ford cars,they rot to buggery

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 20:18

*No one* can spray as good as the factory. You get mask lines, dust in the paint, bits of dirt, small "fish eyes" - all of which I can notice..

Thats bollocks. There are professional restoration companies who could return any car to 'perfect' condition, alot better than factory paint. You just have to be prepared to pay a premium for it. Many 'mint' 20 year old classics have been resprayed. It just a matter of course in the restoration process to book them in at the body shop.

As far as i can tell, the only advantage to getting a no paint car, is that you can tell it hasnt been crashed.

Daz
13-02-2005, 21:09
But then, sure.. it's been done with great expense, and probably stripped to the shell. 99.999% of jobs are done per panel.. and/or not full stripped.. so you won't get it perfect.. if you're doing a restoration (professional) you will have NOTHING but the shell and yer gunna do it extra special..

Not all cars are like it.. and I guess these full restorations would be more projects rather than everyday cars like a Williams probably is to most people.

Out of every car I've seen which have had paint, there has been mask lines, bits of dirt, fish eyes etc.. but then, I've never looked at "classic cars" which have been done from the shell up.

2 live
13-02-2005, 21:16
lol.u wanna take a look at some of the concourse cars at classic shows mate...real eye opener as to what can be achieved with money lol

but like i said.........one for the purists...mine is stonechipped to fuk at the front.....but y bother paintin it cos its only gunna do it again...rest of the car is mint, just a couple of bubbles on the tailgate in the corners.......to me thats more looked after than a full R/S/H and a new respray to aid sale

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 21:17
In this world you get what you pay for. I assure you, if you have enough money someone out there could paint an individual panel and it would look perfect and match the car 100%.

Daz
13-02-2005, 21:19
l.to me thats more looked after than a full R/S/H and a new respray to aid sale

Agree...

big hp
13-02-2005, 21:22
I don't see any real advantage to getting a no paint car. Eventually you will have to have paint it, surely?

I'd rather have a car thats been looked after all round. If that includes a respray then so be it, just as long as its of a good standard.

What would you do if you had a bump then Daz, get it repaired and sell up?

2 live
13-02-2005, 21:22
aye..its all down to personal choice.........but a painted car cant be classed as mint imo....the paints only 10 year old ffs

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 21:23
A respray to me isnt to aid sale. Ill never sell either so really it just helps me enjoy the car more.

big hp
13-02-2005, 21:23
Theres a hideously overpriced williams 2 on CS at the moment due to a respray.

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 21:24
Yeah it is.

Daz
13-02-2005, 21:28

Well, I'm not sure..

A rust free car can mean a few things - one thing is that it's been undersealed properly.. so other parts of the car are equally mint.

But would I sell? Well.. probably not.. mainly because finding another paintless Williams is even harder.. especially one which is already mint in other areas, heh.

KingStromba
13-02-2005, 21:43
Fooking hell mate, your obsessed with paint.

Daz
13-02-2005, 21:54
Fooking hell mate, your obsessed with paint.

Or lack of it.. hehehe. :lol:

big hp
13-02-2005, 21:57
Don't bother with a rac check just give daz a bell.

Whats it cost Daz, KFC and a case of stella? LOL

Daz
13-02-2005, 22:30
mmmmmmm, throw in a box of popcorn chicken and ya got a deal! :wink:

Get Mat to come along too, and I doubt we'd miss anything between us.
:lol: :oops:

Bear in mind tho, you probably won't buy the car at the end of it, haha.

big hp
13-02-2005, 23:12
LOL

If we were that fussy we wouldn't be driving Renaults.

MatBrown
14-02-2005, 00:02
I don't see any real advantage to getting a no paint car. Eventually you will have to have paint it, surely?

I'd rather have a car thats been looked after all round. If that includes a respray then so be it, just as long as its of a good standard.

The trouble with buying a car which has had paint is you have no idea to the extent of the damage or the level of repair carried out, the bloke fixing it might be able to get a glass like finish on the top-coat but didn't know fig about rebuilding/shaping a panel so just filled it with clag, from the outside this would look like a good high quality job but once you started stripping the panels away you would see the horrors that lie beneath!
I would rather buy a rusty car that had no paint than a painted car which could be hiding anything! At least that way i would know that a proper job was being done.

Mat.

big hp
14-02-2005, 00:10
True I can see your point.