PDA

View Full Version : Conservative driving & opinions

Jamie.
18-03-2007, 17:00
What mpg can you get from start/stop A road driving? Im getting a new job which will involve a 35 mile round trip to work each day and with the decat on, and the way i drive i am a little concerned. I have done a similar journey a year ago but it was at constant speeds and the petrol cost seemed reasonable. Im going to refit the cat and hope for high 20's from sub3k driving, is that unreasonable for town-ish style driving?

I have considered buying a second but it just wouldnt be economic.

Purple
19-03-2007, 01:08
I get about 30 to 35 mpg. Daily commute of about over 40 miles, with about 70% A-road speeds and 30% town crawl. Gear change up mostly around 3.5k-4.5krpm. Chip and air filter mod and cat has been replaced with muffled box.

VIPERONE
19-03-2007, 01:34
Conservative driving & opinions......

ask David Cameron's chauffeur

:roll:

Scougar
19-03-2007, 13:05
A tip.. if you use thinner synthetic oil, it should warm up quicker and let the engine be economic quicker :) (although I can't advise you on a suitable grade at present, as not to hot on the clio engines).

I will be doing a similar commute every day (19 miles 1 way so 39 miles total per day) for work. I would mainly recommend serving the working parts to get the best out of the car :)

Matthew

Taylor
19-03-2007, 13:35
i used to do a 27 mile round trip to work n back everyday, sat in motorway traffic cost £35 a week in a 1.2 got a new job, no traffic, country lanes 16 mile round trip , costs bout £20 a week but now in a 2.0

bluenose
19-03-2007, 14:07
Conservative driving & opinions......

ask David Cameron's chauffeur

:roll:

PMSL. :lol:

Purple
19-03-2007, 14:19
Eh... just to put things in perspective. It's a 140mph hatchback capable of outrunning 80% of cars out there and yet sips fuel like a mid-size family car. You are not going to get much better consumption from any other car with half the fun and performance.

IMO, don't worry too much about the clio's economy unless it's drinking like a SUV, in which case there will be something seriously wrong with the car.

Scougar
19-03-2007, 14:40
I would tend to agree with that. So far, I have been recording my mpg (as in another thread) and I can say that it -strangely- doesn't appear to make much difference fuel wise whether I floor it, or drive sensible. It must just have a very good power to weight ratio I guess?

Just to help out.. the *worst* fuel econ i have recorded so far is 31mpg (31.5) and all the others have been 34/35mpg. I didn't floor it on the 31mpg either which was strange. I guess that was down to that week I did milage of 8/9 miles STOP.. 8/9 miles STOP. (i.e. drive to work, then back home).

If you are worried badly about econ, get a diesel (seriously). Your not gonna get much better from any fun/small petrol car. Don't forget if you floor it in a diesel, you will still get bad econ.

Matthew