PDA

View Full Version : Feedback from those who have had their arches done.

Daz.
17-03-2007, 17:36
How many of you have had you arches cut out and resprayed?

Now how many of those people actually had no rust return in that area?

I've had few people send me some pictures recently of 'refurbed' arches and a few years down the line they've all had signs of rust again?!

Now I'm sorry but I was paying £150-250 per arch to be cut out and redone I'd expect them to last at the very least another 10 years - especially if they'd be done properly and looked after by myself.

So basically has anyone had work done thats not come back to haunt them?

Martin
17-03-2007, 17:57
had it done twice came back twice...within 6 months in one case. Although that was just grinded back not cut out.

schakal
17-03-2007, 18:02
had it done twice came back twice...within 6 months in one case. Although that was just grinded back not cut out.

thats the reason dude :wink:

MAXIBOY
17-03-2007, 18:15
problem with the arch is as its a join between two panels water can get in easy and start the whole process of again. so not do you only have to cut the rust out and paint the new bits but the inside and underneath all need treating as well.

nyk
17-03-2007, 18:19
Daz as you know mine was cut out and repaired over 12 months ago, no signs of any rust coming back as yet.

Daz.
17-03-2007, 18:20
So why is that never done though?

Its been the biggest pain in the arse of my life rusty arches - why can't any ****er just fix them and fix them for good!

Chris H
17-03-2007, 18:31
they need to be done properly which is to time consuming for a bodyshop to do tbh.

If you want it done right, shell stripped, get it dipped (not media blasted), it'll come back with no seam sealer, sound deadening, filler or rust on it.

You will then need to get the rot all sorted, get it dipped again and then get it coated.

drsmith1979
17-03-2007, 18:42
can you buy 'brand new shells? if so how much

MattyH16valver
17-03-2007, 18:52
:lol: If you could....which i doubt u can....the price would be un-thinkable!

Daz.
17-03-2007, 19:19
Daz as you know mine was cut out and repaired over 12 months ago, no signs of any rust coming back as yet.

Yeh I know yours looked great but what happens if in 6 months time it starts going? Hopefully it won't but lets just use it as an example if you will thats every 18 months popping back into the body shop spending £££.

I'm just baffled how some say renault did such a shit job with them in the first place but accept that every couple of years they'll need to get them done, get paint, new stickers, hope it blends in well - if you break it down month by month thats a lot of running costs!

Chris H
17-03-2007, 19:19
I enquired abotu 6 years back and it was 3k

Daz.
17-03-2007, 19:20

a lot!

Daz.
17-03-2007, 19:26
might come to your 'shop nyk and get them done, waxoyl them reguarly and we can do some long term tests on arches 8)

drsmith1979
17-03-2007, 19:39
if anyone on here has there own bodyshop we should do a 'group buy' arch repair service! that would be legend and id be up for that! just imagine 25 williams parked outside haha

cliorod
17-03-2007, 19:55
Daz,
Mine were done under warranty :lol: :lol: ,just as the 8 year body was up ~~ ie in 2002.Kitchens replaced both rear quarters and the panel that they attach to ~~ no problems with any rust reappearing :wink: :wink: ~~ car is just not looked after :oops: :oops: But the warranty bill was over £2500,would have been loads more,save for the warranty.
Body shells ~~ last time I looked (November 2006),they were still available from Renault £1200 plus vat ~~ do not consider that to be too bad :wink: :wink:

MattyH16valver
17-03-2007, 19:59
Thats not too bad a price for the shell....but then you've got spraying on top of that! :lol:

drsmith1979
17-03-2007, 20:00
£1200 plus vat? thats not bad at all! im presuming it has rear quarters already fitted up?

Rod - anychance you can ring kitchens for me, i rang them regarding a refund and they told me to ring back in 2 weeks. but i leave for the usa on tue morn!

nyk
17-03-2007, 20:05
might come to your 'shop nyk and get them done, waxoyl them reguarly and we can do some long term tests on arches 8)

It is all about finding someone that will do the job properly and put the work in, if it is done correctly then it shouldnt come back. But lots of bodyshops use shortcuts and the result is that it will always come back.

:D

FATBOY
17-03-2007, 20:09
both arches on mine need doing! plus around the rear wiper on the tailgate.... anyone know how much???

i think theyve been done before? but theres nothing to say they have been done in the cars concise history that i have???

cliorod
17-03-2007, 20:12
Daz,I have pm'd you about the brake adjuster.

Matty 16v ~~ I think painting is the least of the problems,just imagine how many nuts 'n' bolts will be rusted etc,clips missing/broken
It is bad enough,building rally cars from shells,were a lot of the junk is ditched :roll: :roll:
Easiest option is to have new shell and donor car side by side in a big garage :shock: :shock: ,put the major items on/in first rear beam, engine/box/subframe etc etc.

Have a garage near to a Pub also helps :roll: :oops: :roll:

Daz.
17-03-2007, 20:25

It is all about finding someone that will do the job properly and put the work in, if it is done correctly then it shouldnt come back. But lots of bodyshops use shortcuts and the result is that it will always come back.

Well as you and lee were both saying your chap takes pride in what he does so for me thats a perfect start 8)

katbloke
17-03-2007, 20:38
At the end of the day if you want a job doing right imo the only places to go are really restoration garages or bodyshops that do a sh*t hot and thorough job, theres too much emphasis on body filler these days

Daz.
17-03-2007, 21:00
I'd always walk away from anyone who mentioned the word filler these days!

MAXIBOY
17-03-2007, 22:18
fillers all right if used sparingly. even in the old days they used to use lead filler. just not large amounts.

Andy P
17-03-2007, 22:46
From the pics ive seen of your car Daz, all the rust looks surface.

Get it sorted sooner rather than later 8)

samboRT
18-03-2007, 14:07
mines going in to the body shop next week to get mine sorted shall get before and after pics daz, im getting a sweet price too...

if anyone needs body work/spraying sorting in the north west PM me, my arch is getting done for 60 notes

bill.
19-03-2007, 12:34
mines going in to the body shop next week to get mine sorted shall get before and after pics daz, im getting a sweet price too...

if anyone needs body work/spraying sorting in the north west PM me, my arch is getting done for 60 notes

bargain price, dont suppose you could get a qoute for a full respray for a clio could you?

cheers

MAXIBOY
19-03-2007, 12:38
i hate to say this but quality costs. you can,t skimp on bodywork. it takes time. cheap usually means somethings being missed off the list.

white16valver
19-03-2007, 16:42
FATBOY - I've got the number for the bloke who sprayed night.icon's valver if you want it?

He did work on mine and also on Clare's williams and it's been pretty good, plenty of clearcoat on top :)

Bit of rust coming back round the wiper hole but, as above, it had to be grinded back so will never be perfect, plus the movement of the wiper arm against it doesn't help!

Dan_mk1
19-03-2007, 17:32
i hate to say this but quality costs. you can,t skimp on bodywork. it takes time. cheap usually means somethings being missed off the list.

Yup, I payed for a cheapo respray back in august and one arch is starting to come through, but im not fussed cos it was stupidly cheap!

FATBOY
19-03-2007, 18:47
FATBOY - I've got the number for the bloke who sprayed night.icon's valver if you want it?

He did work on mine and also on Clare's williams and it's been pretty good, plenty of clearcoat on top :)

Bit of rust coming back round the wiper hole but, as above, it had to be grinded back so will never be perfect, plus the movement of the wiper arm against it doesn't help!

pm me the details across please mate! cheers! :D

DaveH
20-03-2007, 00:10
Daz- do you think mine needs doing lol-

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6010/damage006hh1.jpg

Going under the knife hopefully just after payday so i'll let you know how i get on!

FlamingMonkey
20-03-2007, 14:08
Ive been recommended the guys who did this Golf, they are based in Stoke, not too far away

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/flamingmonkey/golf.jpg

bill.
20-03-2007, 16:02
^^^^very nice, bet there expensive, any idea?

FlamingMonkey
20-03-2007, 17:49

Got quoted £180 for the bonnet on the cup, not that it needs it, mate at work, his mate droppped a golf there at the weekend, he's getting a full job for just over a grand apparently, but whether that is a full job or not, he should be getting ti back at the weekend I'll try and get some pics when he gets it back.

DaveH
20-03-2007, 19:40
is that premier flamingmonkey?

FlamingMonkey
20-03-2007, 20:06
is that premier flamingmonkey?

Not sure mate, can't remeber does begin with P though :P

My mate who told me about it though didnt take his golf there, he has shipped his off to Skegness, that does look nice, he will be picking it up at the weekend, I'll see if I can grab some pics when he gets it back. They have had it since december :shock: does look minty though

No idea why he choose skegness over the one in the Stoke though

DaveH
20-03-2007, 20:56
It looks like the work of premier tbh but i could be wrong, do a lot of arch widening and smoothing on vw's and if you saw them in the flesh you would think it was factory, saw a few at vw show tatton park last year that were unbelievable but i would imagine they would be v. expensive. Pics of the golf would be good, know how top do bodywork the veedub boys!

bill.
21-03-2007, 16:37

Got quoted £180 for the bonnet on the cup, not that it needs it, mate at work, his mate droppped a golf there at the weekend, he's getting a full job for just over a grand apparently, but whether that is a full job or not, he should be getting ti back at the weekend I'll try and get some pics when he gets it back.

sounds like a good price that, and by the looks of it there doing some nice motors, you could have found the place to go here 8) , look forwards to the results of the golf and some pics :D

FlamingMonkey
21-03-2007, 18:01
The place is called PF Autos in stoke.

Dave I asked him about Premier they are in Northamptop apparently and do a lot of VW work, but the main guy has left so I heard.

gozziee
21-03-2007, 20:21
both arches on mine need doing! plus around the rear wiper on the tailgate.... anyone know how much???

i think theyve been done before? but theres nothing to say they have been done in the cars concise history that i have???

i used a place in ipswich he sprayed the rear bumper both rear quarter panels nearly up to the roof and the whole of both sides including the front wings and sills got rid of the rust and small dents that i had cost me a little over £800 this was about a year ago...... no problems yet!! before that i had my tailgate done by him needed a new one tho coz the rust was bad, with the new tailgate and the spraying etc i think it was around £500..again no problems yet highly recomended i have his card somewhere if you are interested :D

gozziee
21-03-2007, 20:28
forgot that included the williams3 stickers on the rear arches and tailgate and the kick plate williams ones on the inside of the doors ( if you know the ones i mean) and clips to hold the bump strips on some of which were *ucked :wink:

Daz.
21-03-2007, 20:34
^^^ All these sound good!

I want some phone numbers people!

cliokiz
21-03-2007, 20:38
Yeah me too.

Can anyone recommend some places in the midlands (as close to Leicester as possible?)

Need to get my hybrid arches sorted soon, they are shocking!

DaveH
22-03-2007, 20:08
The place is called PF Autos in stoke.

Dave I asked him about Premier they are in Northamptop apparently and do a lot of VW work, but the main guy has left so I heard.

Ah right! Theres a few very good bodyshops that do a lot of vw stuff, you can tell when you see them at a show that its no half job.

JC
22-03-2007, 22:14
had the rear drivers side arch done at Kenneth Brown motor engineering ltd, Glasgow. 400 pounds. 4 years ago, still no sign of rust.

Ali
23-03-2007, 14:22
Daz, with sum help we did mine in the garage. Saved a bundle of cash and learnt alot from the pro's! Progress pics of mine...

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19528&highlight=