PDA

View Full Version : rust

bill.
17-03-2007, 11:17
right, my cars showing signs of rust, the usual, arches and sills etc, i intend to get the car resprayed at some point, full respray, now what i want to know is, should i get the rust seen to soon as or should i just leave it till it goes in for the full respray ( this will be at least 6 months off )?

Is it best to get onto it asap and just drive round in a blue/grey primer williams for a while :shock:

ae
17-03-2007, 11:41
Hi

I'd just wait till respray time. Theres no point as the summers coming and the rust will take while to fully develop anyway.

Andrew

POWARTEK
17-03-2007, 15:57
a respray will only hide the rust. Replace is the only way of getting rid compleately.

Joel
17-03-2007, 17:02
Grind the foookin rust away :P

Daz.
17-03-2007, 17:31
I changed my mind too bill I'm getting the arches done straight away and saving long term for an engine out full shell respray.

MAXIBOY
17-03-2007, 17:31
or sand blasting

drsmith1979
17-03-2007, 17:34
i agree with joel, buy some sanding flexible pads for your grinding wheel and sand all the rust off. get some hammerite kurust or similar and treat the remaining rust, changes the molecular structure of rust and makes it solid so you can either seal it with paint or use some filler

Daz.
17-03-2007, 17:38
krust works but not on huge areas - Last summer I treated a few places, rubbbed down and it was only last month they started to fight bacj - this summer I'm going to do the same thing then when I've got all the money I need attack the car and leave no panel unturned!

MattyH16valver
17-03-2007, 19:33
I changed my mind too bill I'm getting the arches done straight away and saving long term for an engine out full shell respray.
How much would that cost? :shock: Surely taking hte ngine out is a bit extreme? :? All depends how long u plan on keeping the car I suppose...

Daz.
17-03-2007, 20:20
I heard a 2k price tag running around - I don't plan on ever getting rid - In the future I'll have another car too but this one will feature somehow :D

MattyH16valver
17-03-2007, 20:25
I heard a 2k price tag running around - I don't plan on ever getting rid - In the future I'll have another car too but this one will feature somehow :D
Well....I still have'nt decided whether to g ofor the full re-spray yet....but the car will look so good if I door 8) I'm looking at 2.5k for mine....but I'm not sure what that includes. I don't think thats an engine out job :? Really if I plan on spending that kind of money then I need to keep it for a good time to make it worth while. I need to get a few bits of rust sorted, A piller, rear wiper and door and maybe get the car mopped as an alternative to the full re-spray. Watch this space.....

Daz.
17-03-2007, 20:31
Don't get me wrong theres lots of bits that I'm still not happy with, I think i'd rather get the car running 100% perfect or as close as possible before I do any major painting..

The arches I'm getting done soon purely because it lets the car down the most at the moment.