PDA

View Full Version : Need help with the willy manifold!!

DanClio
15-03-2007, 11:15
Basically it sounds like its blowing when you accelarate, changed the seal between the manifold and down pipe, stopped it for a while. Its hard to tell as it doesnt blow when the car isnt moving. i thought it was because the engine was moving too much and make a gap, so i changed the dogbone mount, also added grpA mount. No idea how to stop it now short of buying a supersprint.

Any ideas?

Chris H
15-03-2007, 11:21
the exhaust is probably twisting it round.

Are you using the williams downpipe as well?

2 live
15-03-2007, 11:29
see reply on other thread.

DanClio
15-03-2007, 11:43
Yeah it is the williams down pipe, will try and see if its cracked anywhere. I sorted it a bit by pushing the exhaust back as it wasnt properly joined, then when i put the new dogbone on it, it made it worse. :? might try taking the whole lot off and putting it back together.

Dan

northy
15-03-2007, 11:59
can you feel which side its leaking from ?

DanClio
15-03-2007, 12:03
No unfortunatly, because it only does when the engine is under load, forwards or reverse (worse when reversing) when its sitting still you cant feel it. Not trying getting somone to rev it yet.

2 live
15-03-2007, 12:08
rev it urself from the throttle body lol.

DanClio
15-03-2007, 12:10
LOL oh yeah. You are a genuis. :notworthy:

wavy
15-03-2007, 19:47
when i had similar prob couldnt find where noise was coming from because it only happened under load
it was fixed by changing the springs and bolts from manifold to downpipe (also new gasket)

cliokiz
15-03-2007, 20:24
Try getting someone to sit in the car with it in reverse, with the handbrake on, and get them to lift the clutch to the bite to put some pressure on the engine, see if that helps you find where it's blowing from?

Dunno if that will help at all, just an idea.

I had a really weird metallic scraping noise coming from my engine, sounded like the blades of the alternator tapping on something.

Turned out to be the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe, where they join together. How bizarre!

That was on a valver manifold/downpipe though.

Just a thought!

Gray
18-03-2007, 00:19
Try getting someone to sit in the car with it in reverse, with the handbrake on, and get them to lift the clutch to the bite to put some pressure on the engine, see if that helps you find where it's blowing from?

Dunno if that will help at all, just an idea.

I had a really weird metallic scraping noise coming from my engine, sounded like the blades of the alternator tapping on something.

Turned out to be the gasket between the manifold and the downpipe, where they join together. How bizarre!

That was on a valver manifold/downpipe though.

Just a thought!

Ive had the exact same problem on my RSi, simlear manifold design to the 16v / williams. Ive swapped the gasket, springs and bolts it seemed to stop the noise for a few days bit now its back again GRRR :evil: