PDA

View Full Version : towing a car on the motorway.......legal??

david932
13-03-2007, 17:06
im aware it's now illegal to tow anywhere using a tow rope but is it legal to tow a car on the motorway with a fixed tow bar (purpose made bar that fit's between the 2 towing eyes of the cars not the caravan/trailer pulling device). need help quick please, i've found a decent shell which lacks a head gasket. maybe a question for gunner?

northy
13-03-2007, 17:10
you can legally tow with a fixed length tow bar....

This one is ideal.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/products/medium/051510005.jpg

Martin
13-03-2007, 17:19
not on the motorway though northy...surely

david932
13-03-2007, 17:19
cheers, look's almost identical to the one i own

DaveH
13-03-2007, 18:30
iirc its only legal to tow on the motorway if you're stranded on the hard shoulder and then you have to be towed tothe nearest junction to get off the motorway.

northy
13-03-2007, 18:36
when i last enquired there was nothing in the highway code to state you couldnt tow with a fixed tow bar on the motorways.

evouk
13-03-2007, 19:16
you can but only to the next junction like you said dude

stan
13-03-2007, 19:56
LOL...A lad came to me for an engine swap, and towed a R19 behind a Sprinter van with a rope tied to the spare wheel cradle...all the way from London to Swansea....200miles!!!

lewis_willy2
13-03-2007, 20:56
my m8 towed me 200 miles in a renault 5 that i bought. he was driving a 214 rover! 80 mph :shock: was pretty scary.

at one point he foned me to say 'ive just driven 20 miles in 3rd gear, thought it smelt funny'!!!

passed numerous police cars, at no faster than 70mph and all was fine.

cant beat a good old tug!

lewis

david932
13-03-2007, 21:24
ah well i've bought the car now and it's the only cheap way to get it back. it only 50miles and the mrs is gonna be steering [-o<

if we get stopped she'll just have to cross her arms and smile nicely O:)

MattyH16valver
13-03-2007, 22:13
ah well i've bought the car now and it's the only cheap way to get it back. it only 50miles and the mrs is gonna be steering [-o<

if we get stopped she'll just have to cross her arms and smile nicely O:)
:lol: Good Luck :P

Justin..
13-03-2007, 22:14
surely for 50 miles it doesnt have to be Motorway ?

clio_bus
13-03-2007, 22:32
all i know is i once seen a williams towing a caravan :shock:

Justin..
13-03-2007, 22:35
:shock:

Dancliovalver
13-03-2007, 22:37
im guessing it will eb the same law as trailors....dont use the fast lane!

summeh
14-03-2007, 21:34
are ropes illegal now?

Justin..
14-03-2007, 21:35
wouldnt have thought so cos petrol stations still sell them as i recently bought one :?

david932
16-03-2007, 18:58
yeah according my my local cop shop they are. my ol chap was pulled over when towing my sister.

summeh
16-03-2007, 23:32
yeah according my my local cop shop they are. my ol chap was pulled over when towing my sister.

legal or illegal?

VIPERONE
17-03-2007, 01:11
when i last enquired there was nothing in the highway code to state you couldn't tow with a fixed tow bar on the motorways.

highway code is not road traffic law... so it wont be in..

you can tow on the motorway with a rope in an emergency..i wouldn't do it... if you decide to tow with an A frame you need to make sure your car is the correct ulanden curb weight to tow.

also unless you have all 4 wheels off the ground the car that is being towed has to be insured taxed mot'd.....if its not then its an offence.,..

the person in the towed car has to have a licence ..lol..

a fe rules on towing with trailers:
* Only drivers with full driving licenses are allowed to tow trailers. Provisional B category license holders are not entitled to tow.

* If you passed your Test before 01st January 1997.your licence includes categories B + E and C1 +E. This gives you the entitlement to drive vehicles having a MAM (Maximum Authorized Mass) of up to 7500kg and to tow a trailer providing that the Combined MAM of the towing vehicle and Trailer does not exceed 8250KG and the MAM of the Trailer does not exceed then unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

* If you passed your Test after 01st January 1997, you have category B entitlement only. This restricts you to be able to drive vehicles with a MAM of up to 3500kg and not more than 8 seats with trailers having a MAM of up to 750KG A trailer having a MAM of over 750kg may be towed provided the MAM of the Trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle and the combined MAM does not exceed 3500KG. If you wish to tow trailer out side of this limits, you should contact the DVLA for further information.

The technical permissible maximum weight is based on the carrying capacity of the tyres, axles, coupling, suspension and chassis. MAM or Maximum Authorized Mass is the latest EC term as used in the driver licensing regulations.

* The Road Traffic stipulates that your motor vehicle policy must cover your legal liabilities in respect of Personal Injury and Third Party Property Damage. Before you take your Trailer on the Road make sure that your Motor Insurer are aware that you intend to tow a Trailer and that it is for Business Use. If you do not notify your insurer that you are towing a Trailer for Business, you may not be covered.

* Make sure your vehicle is fitted with a good quality tow bar, anything less is a safety compromise. Always seek Professional advice and don’t forget to mention to type and size of trailer you intend to tow. It is an offence under the Road Traffic Act if you fit a tow bar to your vehicle that does not meet European Standards. The law states that tow bars are fitted with letter ratings and it is important the manufactures limits for towing weights are not exceeded. Your vehicle handbook should have this information.

* Any part of the tow bar that obscurers the vehicle registration plate must be removed when not in use.

* When towing a Trailer, a vehicle is restricted to 60mph on a motorway and dual carriage way and 50 mph on other roads, providing of course that lower speed limits are not in operation. Vehicle/Trailer combinations with a Maximum Authorized Mass in excess of 7500kg are further restricted to 50mph on dual carriageways and 40mph on other Roads

* Trailers must not be towed in the outside lane of a three lane (or more) Motorway or dual carriage way unless unavoidable due to Roadwork’s or Accident.

* Passengers should not be carried on or in a Trailer.

* Rear View Mirrors must be adequate to allow the driver to see the Road behind the Trailer on both sides.

* The Trailer must be fitted with a number plate from a registered supplier. It must have black letters on a reflective yellow background and be illuminated at night

i got a recovery truck when i picked up a car.. all 4 wheels were off the ground.....

naturally if you go the trailer route.. dont go fitting it to a 1.1 metro.. as the uladen curb weight will be contravened ...whats the weight of your citroen Northy LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol:

i had to do some enquiring when i need to get a car from Derbyshire...in the end was easiest recovering it.