PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Relay...

scubaman44
12-03-2007, 12:19
Hi all,
Have an annoying noise still coming from passenger side glovebox. After pulling all the relays out at APD on friday the noise persists :x

I have noticed that there is 3 more relays in the engine compartment, these are for the fuel injection and powersteering (so says haynes manual) so will it be ok to change them? The noise as posted before is a 4k whistle that Craig (Stan) has now heard.

It must be something linked to the engine as its a progressive whistle which comes and goes at 4k.

Anyone know of anything that it could be pls do let me know.

Cheers, Steve.

MatBrown
12-03-2007, 23:48
Heater matrix is my guess.

Mat.

scubaman44
13-03-2007, 10:30
Yeah, i've been told that before, but I can't understand what would make it whislte at exactly 4k?

Matt, why would it whistle only on one side tho? Agghhhh its so annoying :(

stan
13-03-2007, 19:27
matt whats the crack with the heater matrix then??

Only thing I could really say (aside from **** me thats odd!) is that its a relay!

BTW the ones in the engine bay are down by the N/S wing Steve...it really didnt sound like it was coming from there! They are in the black box...

MatBrown
13-03-2007, 23:26
I think its due to a restriction somewhere in the pipework, the waters flow is determined by the revs is it not?
So imagine trying to force a lot of water (4k revs) through a little hole.
My old red 16v did this but i never sorted it, Adi said it went away when he changed the matrix.

Mat.

stan
13-03-2007, 23:42
possible i suppose.....

I suppose you could bypass the heater matrix with a bit of pipe and take it for a spin and see if that stops it. worth a shot.

MatBrown
13-03-2007, 23:54
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Just make sure the pipe doesn't have a restricter in.

Mat.

stan
14-03-2007, 00:41
just a bit of metal pipe the same diam as the coolant pipes would do.

Chris H
14-03-2007, 12:41
or bleed the air out of the matrix.

Did you remove the steering cowling and the heater panel? They often stick alarm relays in there which can make noise or melt.

scubaman44
14-03-2007, 13:26
matt whats the crack with the heater matrix then??

Only thing I could really say (aside from f**k me thats odd!) is that its a relay!

BTW the ones in the engine bay are down by the N/S wing Steve...it really didnt sound like it was coming from there! They are in the black box...

Lol, it is a wierd ass sound! Yeah, I wasn't sure about the relays in the engine bay, I had a look and thought I should ask someone in the know first.

scubaman44
14-03-2007, 13:30
I think its due to a restriction somewhere in the pipework, the waters flow is determined by the revs is it not?
So imagine trying to force a lot of water (4k revs) through a little hole.
My old red 16v did this but i never sorted it, Adi said it went away when he changed the matrix.

Mat.

Awesome, well that is my best bet then. Will have to take the dash off and have a look.

Cheers Matt.

scubaman44
14-03-2007, 13:34
or bleed the air out of the matrix.

Did you remove the steering cowling and the heater panel? They often stick alarm relays in there which can make noise or melt.

Hadn't tried anything but relays tbh. As dash will be off on the weekend i'll have a look. Where would the alarm relays be?

Chris H
15-03-2007, 11:22
alarm immob relays (renault bodge it ones) are like I said behind the heater panel or behind the steerign column shroud.

The matrix only makes noise if theres air trapped in it.