PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration

Scougar
09-03-2007, 19:31
Well.. getting used to the car now it is slowly getting fixed from all the common probs since I bought it. One thing I didn't like about the car was lack of low down torque. Today I decided to give it a bit of a boot since I have fixed my clutch cable etc and basically gave it some beans in the higher revs.

Much more satisfying result and much better sounding. You really have to throttle them to achieve the best though. Not so good at 90 leptons plus, but can't really expect that much from a 137bhp engine, or especially one that's 93k old and prob more like 125-130bhp.

Matthew

Coops
09-03-2007, 19:32
ai, valvers are guttless low down, need to live on cam or tbh they have very little going! :lol:

FincH
09-03-2007, 19:38
Deffo a high revving engine.

The sound at 5k is mint.

Andyvalver
09-03-2007, 19:50
Valvers need to be revved hard, thats the main reason i like them, i think a integra type r would suit me 8) .

Scougar
09-03-2007, 22:46
Is it because it's an oversquare block that it needs to be revved to get good power? (apparently like most modern 4 cylinder engines)

Is the 2L 'much' better with low down torque? I like to comfortably outpace other peeps, not have to thrash the nuts of an engine or be caught out of gear.

Matthew

Swervin_Mervin
09-03-2007, 23:37
I personally prefer my engines fizzy. The mrs xsara vts pulls right from nothing all the way to 7500, but it's too easy for me.

I like to have to keep the revs high and think hard about maintaining the right gear to prevent getting bogged down.

Different strokes for different folks though.

Coops
09-03-2007, 23:50
I like to comfortably outpace other peeps, not have to thrash the nuts of an engine or be caught out of gear.

bought the wrong car then matey! :wink: :lol:

Scougar
09-03-2007, 23:53
Grrr... flippin firefox.. keeps crashing since the latest patch (reinstalled totally and still crashes when i press enter on messages :(

(using IE now lol).

Anyway.... I do prefer the involvement and a more engaging car, I suppose it's just me being used to a turbo car that has major grunt from 3k upwards in every gear. I will just have to alter my driving style when I want to 'go fast' so to speak.

Must admit, the exhaust is growing on me, but the car still doesn't give me the adrenaline rush I used to get with the metro GTi, or the 200sx turbo. I think another 100bhp might do that :D

Matthew

Scougar
09-03-2007, 23:59
I like to comfortably outpace other peeps, not have to thrash the nuts of an engine or be caught out of gear.

bought the wrong car then matey! :wink: :lol:

lol thanks :lol:

I'm getting used to it. I bought the car primarily to free up capital in my other car (that would have lost the value of this one by next year), and it's cheaper on fuel. Soon as all the crap is sorted out on it, I will start making some alterations. Obviously a better filter will go in, then consider what my other options are at that point :) I'm sure with more induction noise I will find the car more thrilling to drive.

Just had to position the windscreen wipers lower as well, as they were being forced up by the air pressure at 'x' speed lol.
Matthew

Coops
10-03-2007, 00:03
:lol: twer a joke matey, valvers are good little cars, as i have one myself but your right, they are never quite enough, need a bit more freely available power to fully appreciate the chassis/handling

Daz.
10-03-2007, 00:12
Is the 2L 'much' better with low down torque? I like to comfortably outpace other peeps, not have to thrash the nuts of an engine or be caught out of gear.

Matthew

Not 'much' just noticable, then when you get used to it you forget all about the low down grunt... as you would!

I've noticed recently how much I miss revving the absolute tits off the valver - the lower limiter gets annoying sometimes but it doesn't need to rev any higher really as theres not much more to get to if you know what I mean!

Scougar
10-03-2007, 00:14
To be honest, I am very suprised there isn't more torque steer when flooring it. I think that it could just do with more guts further up the speedo. Seems like you get to like 80-90 leptons and a modern 2 litre car is on your butt.

I think once I get the naff stuff sorted I can start to considering renewing bushes and perhaps some handling/brake mods, before I tinker too much with the engine. Nothing like a fast car without control lol.

I think tonight has been the first proper glimpse of enjoyment out of the car when i took it out for a 15 minute warm-up/thrash/warm-down/thrash/cooldown :) Still not confident in it's handling ability yet and the limits, but only fixed the clutch 2 days and that robbed confidence in the car with it playing up from day 2 of having the car.

Tomorrow... take the team dynamics motorsport wheel out the boot (am I really considering putting these 17's on lol :shock: ) and give it a lack of mercy drive over dartmoor for 25 miles :)

Matthew

Scougar
10-03-2007, 00:19

Matthew

Not 'much' just noticable, then when you get used to it you forget all about the low down grunt... as you would!

I've noticed recently how much I miss revving the absolute tits off the valver - the lower limiter gets annoying sometimes but it doesn't need to rev any higher really as theres not much more to get to if you know what I mean!

Noticed I kept hitting the limiter as it cuts dead on 7k on mine (going of the gauge... i don't know what the actual rev limit is). Not as bad as hitting the limiter in a turbo car though hehe. must watch gauge more closely.

and quit talking about 2L conversions... I might just get convinced :p (if I could get anywhere close to 180-200bhp in the valver I would be mighty happy though.

Matthew

DaveH
10-03-2007, 00:37
If you want more thrills 17's are a no no :wink:

Coops
10-03-2007, 00:41
need 2.0 or turbo/bodies to hit 180-200 mark comfortably in clio tbh, altho it can be done on standard inlet if ur lucky and good engine/well modified.

not sure on exact limiter, figures of 7100 and 7200 get batted about, think mines same as yours tho, shade over 7k maybe

bill.
10-03-2007, 01:01
i used to love thrashing my valver through the twistys, keeping the revs at the max, driving like that keeps you involved, and at full cocentration otherwise you end up in a tree! :twisted:

nyk
10-03-2007, 02:01
LOL- glad you've sorted some of the problems out and can finally start to enjoy the car!!

I find its all about keping valver on the boil, and I have become progressively better at it over the time I have owned the car- its just like learning the limits. lol

You'll never get that shuv like you do in a turbo, but its like with anything, you modify- get used to the little extra grunt then want more. lol Its a viscious circle.

:lol:

Scougar
11-03-2007, 23:19
Ok... been out and in past few days done 250 miles. Still have fuel left even after lots of pushing the revs :D Actually.. i'm not sure if the fuel gauge is slowly "fixing" itself... or that everytime i fill up the gauge seems to get more accurate (it drops off then returns to a higher level each time lol). I seem to be getting better economy out of it even though I am driving it to the redline a fair bit).

Still think it could do with more poke, but definately enjoying it more and more :) I'm used to cars just disappearing in my rear view when thye try chasing me with the old car, with this one it seems like they do a fairly good job of keeping up, even rover 200's :roll:

Just spent £1.2k on bedroom funiture, curtains, lights for the new house and another £1K to spend on chairs(for donated table), washer and cooker, so will be a bit before I get to spend any 'serious' money... but will just keep fixing the little things until that time :)
Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen.

Matthew

Swervin_Mervin
11-03-2007, 23:29
Like cars like the 106 Rallye, conservation of momentum is something that will stand you in better stead than going straight out for more power. Get it all sorted, best job being making sure your brakes and suspension are nice and in order.

Onve they're done I reckon you'll realise that these cars can have the doors driven off them and don't really need the extra poke to humble many cars.

Lad I knew with a 106 1.3 Rallye could regularly embarass much quicker machinery on a good road simply because he could conserve his monentum much better and sling through corners.