PDA

View Full Version : seized caliper

Itsme
09-03-2007, 13:49
Just tried changing back brake pads on williams found that caliper is seized up so cant put new pads in is there anyway i can unseize it or do i need new caliper

Danlp6
09-03-2007, 13:56
try undoing the bleed nipple when winding it back in, this usually helps.

Itsme
09-03-2007, 14:10
does the nipple just screw out then? The piston should just push back in shouldn't it both the front where fine.

Scougar
09-03-2007, 14:23
***UNDO brake reservior cap***

If you think it is seized, put something like a piece of wood (to stop the pistons flying/falling out) between the piston and the other side, and get an assistant to GENTLY press the brake pedal. If it 'appears' siezed keep trying but progresively getting firmer with the pushes, until 'hopefully' it moves. You may need to start by 'pumping' the pedal to ensure some pressure is held on the other brake so slack in that side is taken up :)

but as suggested, I would first try undoing the bleed nipple a bit to help ease the pressure. Use some wood/bar across the piston to help push it in evenly, the last thing you want to do it jar it inside the caliper.

***BLEED Brakes, TIGHTEN nipple and REPLACE / TIGHTEN brake reservior cap***

Matthew

arj256
09-03-2007, 15:03
Just tried changing back brake pads on williams found that caliper is seized up so cant put new pads in is there anyway i can unseize it or do i need new caliper

Are you turning the piston? As if its the rear calipers i think you have to turn it clockwise to push the piston back in iirc.

Scougar
09-03-2007, 15:41
ahh.. the winding type. In that case.. before twisting it in... lubricate the dust seal so it doesn't twist with the piston when winding it back in. (on nissans i can use a small set of adjustable pliers to wind back in, not sure about the renault ones).

Matthew

Itsme
09-03-2007, 17:24
Ok after a long day which should have just been 10 min job i have done it. Turns out they where not seized just needed screwing in easy when you know how :oops: . Thanks for your help was getting really pissed of wiv it.
Phil

Scougar
09-03-2007, 19:01
Well done :)

Don't be embarassed. You didn't know any better and in the end if you didn't come on here, you may have ended up buying a new caliper! So well done :)

Matthew