PDA

View Full Version : R5 or hold out for willy hybrid

jez
08-03-2007, 22:43
Bit of a discussion for everyone im currently in the market for a willy hybrid i say that but there isnt a market as such just whatever comes along once in a blue moon, thing is iv always wanted a renault 5 and im seriously contemplating getting one would i be making a mistake any1 owned both a willy and an r5

iv already had a willy2 and never even driven an r5 if that makes a diffrence

interested to hear peoples opinions :D

cheers jez

Wobba
08-03-2007, 22:49
There's nothing like turbo lag!

But seriously, the R5 is a great car. Very light, and bonkers once the boost is on. Had two myself. Totally different power delivery to a 16v/Willy. Probably more exciting I'd say in that depatrment, but they are older cars and prone to going even more wrong than a Clio.

My first one was a bit of a mess when I bought it, an old Raider, but once fixed up it was a total hooligan car which many preferred to my Impreza I had at the same time as you feel much more exposed. They are made of recycled paper you know...

nyk
08-03-2007, 23:01
cue rochdale williams.............

Not spoke to him in a bit, last I heard his reggie 5 was up for sale so not sure if he's got rid of it yet or not.

Would be a good buy though, a rare mint one. :lol:

Think there are details of it in projects section.

mon
08-03-2007, 23:13
i had r5 mate get that .. you can not beat a turbo .. i sold my low milage r5 for a high mile clio 16v wish i did not had shit loads of problems. wish i held on till i saw me one i got now .. am ok with me 2nd clio now .. .. if you have had a willy get the r5 if you only keep it for 6 months .

you will now then why people like the r5 so mutch and fun it is

1995clio16v
08-03-2007, 23:56
I really really fancy one as a second car.

i can't believe how expensive they are on autotrader, outrageous for the reliability they offer.

Ebay for me - a shed and mint it!

This is very nice apart from the daft spoiler;

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=RENAULT&min_pr=75&source=0&model=5&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=pr1+0qa&variant=gt+turbo&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=61&ukcarsearch_full.y=12&start=10&distance=24&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200709272804067

nyk
08-03-2007, 23:58
A fiend of mine has one up for sale that is not mint, nor a shed but needs a little tlc. He's after around the 1200 mark. Car is in Bacup- nw area.

:)

1995clio16v
08-03-2007, 23:59
5 Turbo £25k!

Renault are the daddies when it comes to the hot hatch scene! They have it sewn up.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=RENAULT&min_pr=75&source=0&model=5&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=pr1+0qa&variant=gt+turbo&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=61&ukcarsearch_full.y=12&start=3&distance=188&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200701264887001

jez
09-03-2007, 00:44
im definatly starting to want one now lol. u got any details nyk pics milage etc?

mon
09-03-2007, 01:30
I really really fancy one as a second car.

i can't believe how expensive they are on autotrader, outrageous for the reliability they offer.

Ebay for me - a shed and mint it!

This is very nice apart from the daft spoiler;

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=RENAULT&min_pr=75&source=0&model=5&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=pr1+0qa&variant=gt+turbo&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=61&ukcarsearch_full.y=12&start=10&distance=24&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200709272804067

the 5 is def more reliable than a clio .. by a long shot i had a 5gt 9 years all i changed was rad switch and .. electric window switch and it had phase one mode and 44 k on it when i sold it ..

spent miles more on clio 2nd one ie springs shocks lamba cambelt .. can i go on and it has only done 40k lol

mon
09-03-2007, 01:32
5 Turbo £25k!

Renault are the daddies when it comes to the hot hatch scene! They have it sewn up.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=RENAULT&min_pr=75&source=0&model=5&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=pr1+0qa&variant=gt+turbo&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=61&ukcarsearch_full.y=12&start=3&distance=188&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200701264887001

thats the mid engine gt not a 5 gt turbo there always big money.. like the rs200 there ex rally car

mon
09-03-2007, 01:36
A fiend of mine has one up for sale that is not mint, nor a shed but needs a little tlc. He's after around the 1200 mark. Car is in Bacup- nw area.

any pics????????????

nyk
09-03-2007, 02:31
guys, I'll get more info and pics up tomorrow for ya's.

Stoker Willi 1 303
09-03-2007, 03:01
My three fav cars that i will own 1 of each of........1 day.......1 day..... :cry:
My willy 0303 -a mint r5 gt turbo- the big daddy 'a turbo 2' .BEAST.

i had a 5 for about a year can't beat the feeling when boost comes in so much fun and alot to handle when hammering it on back roads. my missus absolutely hated it when she saw it but after 2 mins in it she couldn't stop giggling at the dump and screaming when boosting, and has loved them ever since :P buy 1 jus for the fun of it they are great little cars but run outta steam at 100+ only a baby 1.4 after all.

p.s they don't handle a patch on the willy :wink:

mon
09-03-2007, 17:16
yea def the clios are better handleing .. you no when your going to roll it lol

u33db
09-03-2007, 18:20
R5 is virtually the same floorplan so it'll handle near enough as well as a clio for 95% of people IMO.

Clio is more solid and arguable quicker/more relaible than a R5 but i think the R5 edges things in the fun factor.

Agree with build quality comments - the R5 has the strength of a biscuit tin and having crashed in one its not a nice experience. However, thats a small complaint.

Depends what you want really - i've had 3 clios and am now onto my third R5 because they just click more for me. I wouldn't say either was particularly better or worse than the other though.

mon
09-03-2007, 18:27
yea the build i whould not miss .. but that trubo i do.. i was looking in trader about a year ago i saw one for £950 with 60k tungstun grey and it was standard spec.. no dam wings on it and a table bolted on tail gate lol if i had a place to put it i whould of bought it .

Zollo
09-03-2007, 18:30
the R5 has the strength of a biscuit tin and having crashed in one its not a nice experience. However, thats a small complaint

An a-pillar in your forehead wouldn't be such a small compaint.... not that the Clio is much better!

nyk
09-03-2007, 18:40
Update on 5 turbo.......

In black on an F plate -up to now I know that he has bought an original grill, replaced bootlid and fitted AX GT spoiler. Replaced water pump and gasket. New thermostat. Now boost pipes and over boost sensor. New gearbox seal and comes with replacement gearbox - spare. Synchro in 2nd gear goosed, jumps out in 2nd when not on load. New widscreen seal also done. Just also had front and rear wheels bearings done also.

List of mods:
Pipercross IK
Piston DV
Full 4inch scorpion stainless and new turbo elbow from Renault
Smiths twister alloys (sorry) -does come with full set of original alloys also.

Mileage is 102k on clock, but engine and turbo was rebuilt by K Tec in 2003. Lots of history to prove. Can put 12 months ticket on it - negotiable.

It needs:
car has no MOT at the moment, it is going for MOT on Saturday- will either be a pass or minor fails. Could do with new door pins (common fault)

Will hopefully get some pictures tomorrow.
Anyone interested PM me for details and I'll put you in touch with the guy.

Joel
09-03-2007, 19:00
Get an R5 not as common as Clios! :lol:

Wobba
09-03-2007, 23:37
I totally agree, the turbo boost is just great, and yea they run out of puff at high speeds, but they truly are looney cars. I sold my 9k Clio 16v for a raider , which I got cheap as the dealer thought the turbo had gone (he didnt tell me that, he thought he was getting a good deal) but actually it was just a hose pipe split underneath losing boost pressure.

After a visit to the garage and £900 quid later it was like new, the plume of smoke i left behind as I wheelspan out of that garage on full boost (I didn't realise the power on full boost!) is still hanging over Southampton to this day years later :D

mon
10-03-2007, 01:53
I totally agree, the turbo boost is just great, and yea they run out of puff at high speeds, but they truly are looney cars. I sold my 9k Clio 16v for a raider , which I got cheap as the dealer thought the turbo had gone (he didnt tell me that, he thought he was getting a good deal) but actually it was just a hose pipe split underneath losing boost pressure.

After a visit to the garage and £900 quid later it was like new, the plume of smoke i left behind as I wheelspan out of that garage on full boost (I didn't realise the power on full boost!) is still hanging over Southampton to this day years later :D

****ing class..

lol

mon
10-03-2007, 01:58
lol still laughing..

you no the score...

R5 GT TURBO V CLIO WILIAMS mmmmm i raced loadeds i me old 5 and was still not destroyed thats clio16v as well .. still same car..

you drive that car to not live ..lol well have a choice..

jez
10-03-2007, 20:46
test drove one today only way i can sum it up is

williams = :D

R5 turbo = :twisted:

think that gets the message accross lol

mon
10-03-2007, 23:17
test drove one today only way i can sum it up is

williams = :D

R5 turbo = :twisted:

think that gets the message accross lol