PDA

View Full Version : Changing dogbone on ramps

Scougar
08-03-2007, 16:21
Hi guys,

I am gonna put my car this afternoon on some drive on ramps (20-25cm high roughly), and wondering will i still need to brace/hold the engine in place with a jack when I go to change the dogbone?

Thanks,
Matthew

stevie_b
08-03-2007, 16:44
Nope, no need for a jack to support it. The mounts at the top will take the strain. The dogbone just prevents fore/aft movement that you shouldn't be getting whilst it is parked on the ramps!

You might need a jack at the end to move the engine to the right position to easily put the bolts back in though.

Scougar
08-03-2007, 17:14
Thankyou :)

Just got home, and it's sitting waiting on ramps now.

BRB ;)

Matthew

FlamingMonkey
08-03-2007, 17:42
I did mine in 2lives back alley, oooh err

Trolley jack and an axl stand only took a few minutes really

Scougar
08-03-2007, 19:01
Took longer than expected (as they do when your not familar with a car), but still quickish. Worst bit was trying to get the front bolt out past the gearlever arm, sometimes I wonder about designers. Didn't really want to disconnect the lever, as that's sure to breed more problems :roll:

Had to lever the rear section out with big screw driver. I also noticed that on the bracket mounted to the gearbox the bolts were loose, so did those up as well.

REPORT: much better, much less slop and most important, car doesn't judder when pulling away or when changing gear :) . It could be better, but i suspect that is more to do with the other mountings being worn as well. Will look into replacing those at some point.

Matthew

pat_986
08-03-2007, 19:26
Good news mate.

You thought about fitting a R19 mount. A popular mod here...i fitted one recently, works realy well.

Coops
08-03-2007, 20:00
ai just 19's mine and for the 2 miles i drove it before it failed MOT it felt tight! :wink:

Scougar
09-03-2007, 11:58
How different is the r19 mount?

Matthew

MAXIBOY
09-03-2007, 12:01
its an extra mount fitted at the front of the front of the gearbox

Scougar
09-03-2007, 14:14
That's handy :)

What part numbers do I need please? (if you know).

Other than that I was thinking about making up a mount for the drivers side (bulhead to engine hoist bracket) of the engine where there are some bolts available, to stop the engine moving so much (pretty much what Mini's have, they call it an 'engine steady').

Matthew

clio_rsi_turbo
09-03-2007, 17:41
do a search mate :wink:

Scougar
09-03-2007, 17:50
lol.. the audacity of it ! :lol:

Search is a pain on here I find, always bring up random topics...

will give it a whirl :)

Matthew

wavy
09-03-2007, 18:15
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/northy_com/DSC00648.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/northy_com/DSC00650.jpg

gunners guide is here
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15495

Scougar
09-03-2007, 19:27
Looks interesting :)

Anything can help.

Matthew

FincH
09-03-2007, 20:19
Hmm wtf is that metal bar about lol?

And Scougar, don't believe the lies. It IS a complete bitch to fit. Well, was on mine.

See if you'd bought my Clio 16v the dogbone was replaced with a genuine Renault one a few months ago and the R19 mount was fitted like 5 weeks back. *tut* I dunno.

Haha just kidding. Missing the Valver fun already. Astra Estate is slow, but built better lol.

MAXIBOY
09-03-2007, 20:23
extra gearbox bracket fitted on willys

Scougar
09-03-2007, 23:04

And Scougar, don't believe the lies. It IS a complete bitch to fit. Well, was on mine.

See if you'd bought my Clio 16v the dogbone was replaced with a genuine Renault one a few months ago and the R19 mount was fitted like 5 weeks back. *tut* I dunno.

Lets not even go there :shock: I should have come and viewed yours... if you'd only been available earlier (and I hadn't been so darn keen). My trouble was that I sold my car and needed another. Oh well. My bad.

Next time i'll take my time looking and not rush it. I'm sure i'll end up buying coils, new bushes etc etc... so should have bought yours anyway.. was just trying to be er... sensible.

Matthew

FincH
10-03-2007, 01:33

Lets not even go there :shock: I should have come and viewed yours... if you'd only been available earlier (and I hadn't been so darn keen). My trouble was that I sold my car and needed another. Oh well. My bad.

Next time i'll take my time looking and not rush it. I'm sure i'll end up buying coils, new bushes etc etc... so should have bought yours anyway.. was just trying to be er... sensible.

Matthew

Lol nah no second hand car is going to be perfect and in a way it's enjoyable maintaining your car and getting used to what goes where etc.

Some things are just meant to be