PDA

View Full Version : Overheating when stopped

simonr85
08-03-2007, 11:56
My car has overheated twice when stopped with the engine running for longer than 10 mins (the first time was after i stopped after doing 80miles on motorway with no probs, pulled over at petrol station to meet my mate and after 10-15 mins steam was pissing out my car, the second time was in KFC drive thru last nite), does any1 know what this could be? there doesnt seem to be an airlock and have done a search and cant find any1 who has had a similar prob.

Oh and my temp guage dont work so cant see when its getting hot, any1 know how to fix that too?

wavy
08-03-2007, 12:12
is your fan deffo working ? can you can hear it kick in and out
add some anti freeze/coolent it might help
also if u come off the motor way and sit with the engine running for 10 mins it will prob over heat
turn ya engine off
my williams runs very cool so i dont have the same probs ?
it got a bit close to over heat once when i was stuck in a jam on the motorway but as soon as it gets moving again it drops back down fast

simonr85
08-03-2007, 12:16
Yes heard the fan on but i think it was on when i turned the car off should it do that? my saxo fan came on when car was switched off

MAXIBOY
08-03-2007, 12:21
check your fan is working. the noise you here when you switch off could be your auxiliary water pump

simonr85
08-03-2007, 12:25
the fan def works its just is it working at the right time? think i read somewhere of an earth off the rad corroding and thus causing the fan to only come on when the car is off

darrenm1eqn
08-03-2007, 12:44
Could be a radiator blockage or something , i'd flush the system and
get a low temp fan switch and a low temp thermostat .. alot of people
dont recommend the low tem switch and thermostat but ive got one in
mine and the car runs cool and ive never had a prob with it ...

Its worth adding that mine used to overheat until i did the above ...

Purple
08-03-2007, 12:51
Yes heard the fan on but i think it was on when i turned the car off should it do that?
If it ONLY comes on when the ignition is turned off, it's most likely the fan switch on the rad is not working.

simonr85
08-03-2007, 12:59
Could be a radiator blockage or something , i'd flush the system and
get a low temp fan switch and a low temp thermostat .. alot of people
dont recommend the low tem switch and thermostat but ive got one in
mine and the car runs cool and ive never had a prob with it ...

Its worth adding that mine used to overheat until i did the above ...

Where do i get these and how much?

MAXIBOY
08-03-2007, 16:07
http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/Products/Default.asp?type=dept&DepartmentID=1389

fasterthanjesus
08-03-2007, 16:17
first thing i did was fit the low temp therm and fan switch.

get the coolant system flushed and keep an eye on your coolant levels.
last thing you want is the head gasket to pop.

simonr85
08-03-2007, 16:31
Just ordered them now, are they easy to fit?

darrenm1eqn
08-03-2007, 18:16
Yer dead easy , theres 6 or 7 torx screws in the thermostat housing
undo them and install thermostat making sure the spring side goes
towards the engine . and the fan switch is on the left side of the radiator
as your looking at your car from the front screw out and screw new one in .. take you 30 mins max .. dont forget your antifreeze as well when refilling ... :roll:

job done :wink:

darrenm1eqn
08-03-2007, 18:20
And if that doesnt work try a brand new radiator , You will be surprised
how much crap fills up inside it .. mine was 3/4 full of sludge . So just
flushed it out . Most over heating problems ive seen are either Thermostat
or radiator probs

simonr85
12-03-2007, 10:29
ive just found the problem i think, if you look facing the front of the car the top left of the radiator has a plug and a wire, which has corroded, how much will a new 1 of these cost and is this my problem?

VIPERONE
12-03-2007, 10:31
just cut the offeding wire off.. and refix it with fresh stuff..clean the 2 prongs and away you go

simonr85
12-03-2007, 11:36
matt brown, do you have the part that im on about so can just swap the cable over as its snapped right on the plug so doubt it can be fixed

MAXIBOY
12-03-2007, 13:14
http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=2794

this plug is the fan switch. if the wires have snapped of on the plug best bet is to go down the scrap yard cut one off further back and solder it on.

simonr85
12-03-2007, 14:21
I ordered 1 of them last week from bb tuning but hasnt arrived yet

MatBrown
12-03-2007, 23:53
ive just found the problem i think, if you look facing the front of the car the top left of the radiator has a plug and a wire, which has corroded, how much will a new 1 of these cost and is this my problem?
matt brown, do you have the part that im on about so can just swap the cable over as its snapped right on the plug so doubt it can be fixed

Yet another VERY common fault with these cars, i can do you a plug with some length of wire but the colours won't match exactly.

Mat.

simonr85
13-03-2007, 10:29
PM sent