PDA

View Full Version : Head Refurb

AndyFielder
07-03-2007, 22:28
Hi,

Could you recommend someone who could refurbish my 1.4 8v head.

I know one of the valves bent, and wasn't sealing correctly. So would need at least 1 valve seat. I would probably replace all the valves, and seats, depending on costs etc.

The head has been cleaned up and stripped down.

I'm looking to do it pretty low cost, anyone want to help a guy out?

Andy

stan
07-03-2007, 22:37
seats will likely be ok, just get them recut. maybe damage to the guides, so check that. then a skim.

you'd be looking at £150-200 worth of macining plus labour to build it back up.

cheapest option would be a 2nd hand head...

AndyFielder
07-03-2007, 22:43
This is an old head.

The valve bent because a bolt got wedged on it. I'm only guessing i will need all new guides. It was running rough, so got me a new engine. Thought i would clean this one up, ready as a replacement/ebay it.

The bolt also marked the top of one of the pistons, but i cant see this making too much difference when i have ground this flat again

The valve in question wasn't sealing, you can see a gap of about 8-10mm on the head, as rust colored, instead of shiny metal on the valve seal.

It defiantly wont be needing a skim, the head gasket never blew.

Andy

stan
07-03-2007, 22:49
doesnt matter if the head gaskey blew or not....as a rule of thumb, whenever I remove head, I skim it.

In any case, it will need to be taken back to flat after its been heated to fit new inserts.

Its not really worth the effort mate if ur just going to sell it. You won tget much for it...