PDA

View Full Version : Sorry.... another Oil Question

CLIO RS
07-03-2007, 17:10
I need a little help. What’s the best engine Oil (at a good price) that I should use in my 1.8 16v? Also any brands that you would recommend?

I don't do track days, but I might, so I just need a recommendation on a performance road oil.

I need to be able to get it from local stores as I don't want to have to pay for postage or if anyone knows of a good (cheap) site I can get it from.

I always love Mobil 1 but the price seems to be very high now.... I think Halfords sell the 0W/40 rated stuff for £47.99 for 5 Litres, but I have seen that they sell their own brand oil (I've heard that Esso make it) which is a track day oil rated at 5W/50 and it's £31.99 for 5 litres. Seems like a good oil anyone tried it before or whould anyone say that the 50 rating is to high for normal day use.

Thank you

wavy
07-03-2007, 22:34
there are loads of threads about oil
it seems every one uses differnt stuff
im sure the is a bloke on here called oilman or something he has loads of advice and allways has a decent deal going
also i think there was a group buy going for oil

Swervin_Mervin
07-03-2007, 23:26
Millers Oils 10W40 XSS semi synth. About £25-30 delivered from Banshee motorsport.

BRUN
08-03-2007, 00:38
in general you get what you pay for

i currently use Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL, which is the same kind of spec level as Mobil 1 but a lot cheaper, £47.99 can get you better oil, like Motul 300V or Silkolene Pro S

www.opieoils.co.uk

mon
08-03-2007, 01:14
the standard for 16v and williams is 10w40 semi any very good oil wil do shell helix . valvoline max life (ok for low milage engines) which is 10w40 silkoline do one allso..

it is best to no wot oil has been in engine before you got it that whould help alot .. if you go from thin to thick oil thats not good

mon
08-03-2007, 01:20
also to mobil 1 oil i had no probs in the 5gt turbo with that it burnt nothing i rated it top oil for that engine .. i put it in clios (2 i have had) and it burnt for fun and sounded like it had no oil in engine.. that oil is too thin when your engine gets hot (and it runs hotter than a 5 gt)

not touched it in clio i have now stuck with 10 40.. never tryed any other rateing

CLIO RS
09-03-2007, 14:12
there are loads of threads about oil
it seems every one uses differnt stuff
im sure the is a bloke on here called oilman or something he has loads of advice and allways has a decent deal going
also i think there was a group buy going for oil

I have read a few threads on the subject but most people just mention the rating rather than the brand

CLIO RS
09-03-2007, 14:18
10W/40 oil is that OK on start up in the mornings? I've heard that you need 0-5W in order to keep the tappets happy and quiet.

CLIO RS
09-03-2007, 14:30
it is best to no wot oil has been in engine before you got it that whould help alot .. if you go from thin to thick oil thats not good

Thank you all for the replies so far.

I’m not too sure what oil is currently in the car at the moment, as I had the car fully serviced and cam belt changed at BB Tuning, when I bought it (less than a year ago).

When I had a Clio 16v the first time round (about 8 years ago) I used SAE 5W/50 from Mobil 1, but they don’t seem to make it any more or it has been replaced with 0W/40.

The Mobil 1 5W/50 stuff was perfect… engine was quiet on start up and I didn’t really burn that much oil when driving to the limit.

The price of Mobil 1 from Halfords seems a little expensive now (£47.99) I still have a 4 litre bottle of Mobil 1 SAE 5W/50 in the garage (from 7 years ago) with only 1 litre remaining and it only cost 27.99 from Halfords back then (still has the price tag on the bottle). Seems like it’s now £20.00 extra, but you get an extra litre of oil.

I would love to use Mobil 1 0W/40, but on prinple I think they are atking the p*ss charging that much

I have heard that the Halfords 5W/50 is a bit noisy and I just wondered if any one else had any experience with it, as it is rated the same as the old Mobil 1 I use to use

Cheers

Imperial_16v
09-03-2007, 16:50
Silkolene! :D 8)

nyk
09-03-2007, 16:56

Thank you all for the replies so far.

I’m not too sure what oil is currently in the car at the moment, as I had the car fully serviced and cam belt changed at BB Tuning, when I bought it (less than a year ago).

When I had a Clio 16v the first time round (about 8 years ago) I used SAE 5W/50 from Mobil 1, but they don’t seem to make it any more or it has been replaced with 0W/40.

The Mobil 1 5W/50 stuff was perfect… engine was quiet on start up and I didn’t really burn that much oil when driving to the limit.

The price of Mobil 1 from Halfords seems a little expensive now (£47.99) I still have a 4 litre bottle of Mobil 1 SAE 5W/50 in the garage (from 7 years ago) with only 1 litre remaining and it only cost 27.99 from Halfords back then (still has the price tag on the bottle). Seems like it’s now £20.00 extra, but you get an extra litre of oil.

I would love to use Mobil 1 0W/40, but on prinple I think they are atking the p*ss charging that much

I have heard that the Halfords 5W/50 is a bit noisy and I just wondered if any one else had any experience with it, as it is rated the same as the old Mobil 1 I use to use

Cheers

Mobil 1 is 23 quid inc vat for 4 litres from costco. Which is a bit cheaper than Halfords!! I use it all the time in my clio, and I say the same everytime someone asks about oil. I have tried many oils and found that my car likes the mobil one best, I've also said before that on a renault service they use Mobil Super 10-40 - we all know that Mobil is renowned for its protection qualities on start up. I think there was an experiment once with Mobil, where they run a car on a track for an hour with Mobil 1, they then drained all the oil out, and ran it for a further hour with no oil. The coating the mobil one gave it was that good that it protected it and stopped any seizure even with no oil in the car. Says it all really.

You get what you pay for with oil. Mobil 1 all the way for me.

BRUN
09-03-2007, 18:44
i can recommend Fuchs, Silkolene, and Motul

white16valver
15-03-2007, 16:38
Ben used Fuchs in mine at my last service - I'm not sure I like it though!

Seems to be really noisy and metallic for ages :(

Though my thermostat is screwed I think, so it might just need to actually get up to temperature LoL

I liked the Excellium stuff from renault when I had it last time :)