PDA

View Full Version : Any one ever had this happen............................

Daz0371
07-03-2007, 07:58
After 5 minutes of driving from a cold start just as the engine is getting warmed up I was doing about 50ish and as I put my foot down 1 or 2 of the cylinders died.

It was like this all the way to work (about 4 miles)

When I got in the car to go home it started up fine with no sign of the problem, It warmed up ok so I gave it a fair bit of stick and there was still no sign of the problem.

I remember this happening in my first williams when it had done approx. 90k, weird thing is my current williams has just gone over the 90k mark.

PS I've checked all the usuall stuff, damp in dissy cap, leads falling off etc.

Any ideas??????????????

Daz

big hp
07-03-2007, 09:38
Sounds like the crank sensor.

Daz0371
07-03-2007, 10:10
What does that do then?

northy
07-03-2007, 11:29
could be the knock sensor.....cutting in as it might think the engine has a problem ??? then clearing ????

best to get it on a diagnostic machine....Hill Power is your best bet or if your in the North West - chip wizzards.

Daz0371
07-03-2007, 19:39
I'm in leeds, is there anywhere you know of that's half decent near by?

I don't really want to go to Renault as I haven't won the lottery jackpot yet.

How much do these sensors cost roughly and in "haynes manual" terms how many spanners is the job.

BRUN
08-03-2007, 00:36
the knock sensor is under the inlet manifold IIRC and you would have to take that off to get to it

thelynx
15-03-2007, 03:23
I had the very same happen twice to me, randomly twice in 7 months... never changed anything as its always fixed itself and never happened since

Chris H
15-03-2007, 11:27
knock sesnor, even if you stuck it in a small drumkit ooperated by a monkey in the engine bay would only retard the ignition so much, it wouldn't take 2 cylinders out and its not selective, it retards ignition to all cylinders not just 2.

Also theres no way yourt driving 4 miles on 2 cylinders either.

Check for water ingress around the plugs, check the crank sensor is bolted firmly to the bellhousing and if you have a spare put anothe rignition module on.