PDA

View Full Version : ARB Anti Roll Bar - Stabilising Bar - Changing Links

eternalife
06-03-2007, 21:59
Got my car up on a ramp last week - In my limited knowledge I am guessing that is the ARB / Stabilising bar (on the passenger side) that is unconnected?? can someone confirm?

Secondly...The other side of this bar (drivers side) also looks in slightly bent...

I have just ordered a couple of these....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180024741686&rd=1&rd=1

Can someone confirm this is the correct part?

Also, how hard is it to change these??

PASSENGER SIDE
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/valverflavour/04032007186.jpg

DRIVERS SIDE
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/valverflavour/04032007187.jpg

Coops
06-03-2007, 22:02
drivers side looks fine, passenger one has gone completely! :shock:

absolute git to do as you have to compress the bushes to get the nut on, fiddly as hell and drove me mad! :lol:

eternalife
06-03-2007, 22:27
Coops - thanks...I have ordered the correct part then right?!

Yep - Passenger one now in Reigate (almighty pot hole did that ) :D
Drivers Side one has hardly any of the bush left...

I was thinking about the compression required...was thinking of changing it whilst the car is sitting on the ground...use a jack to lift bar/compress the bushes at the same time and bolt in....this viable??

Justin..
06-03-2007, 22:37
how ever you do it wont be easy

And yes they're the right parts

Coops
06-03-2007, 22:47
the main issue is not compressing the big bush, its the small one at the top between bolt head and wishbone, cant get g clamp into it easily etc. then you gotta compress the lower one a bit aswell with a washer before finally crammin the nut on and trying to do it up

williams set up is SOOOO much better!

Justin..
06-03-2007, 22:52
amen to that Gotta love the widetrack :P

eternalife
06-03-2007, 23:20
I am guessing this might be of more assistance compared to a G-Clamp?
Also would loosening one side make it easier to do up the other?

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/valverflavour/06032007194.jpg

Laine_16v
06-03-2007, 23:24
I doubt one of those will compress it enough, undoing it one side will not make it easier for the other.

And the funny thing is, no body would have this problem if renault made the stupid thread about 1cm longer like on the side that is still attached on yours (which isnt renault OE)

Stupid ren!

eternalife
06-03-2007, 23:33
Laine - Cheers...

Other side i believe is renault OEM (never changed in 83000miles :oops: )

The reason it is so long, bush has worn out and has been tightened to take the slack...

another idea.....

can the bush not be cut (with a very hot knife) to reduce the size thus making it easier to fit?

Laine_16v
06-03-2007, 23:35
I have a brand new one downstairs, you get no thread to play with at all, the one you have on your car at the mo isnt a renault one (im pretty dam sure).

I dont see why you couldnt slice the rubber but it would just make it wear down quicker!

MAXIBOY
07-03-2007, 00:52
you can buy a longer bolt then cut off excess when fitted.

eternalife
09-03-2007, 19:28
Managed to get this done today...as this was the first attempt and had to work out how to overcome the problems everyone mentioned - it took 45mins - but now would only take 10mins to do.

Parts used:
Standard Bolts with 1cm of tread
Bush/Rubber at Bolt Head
Larger Bush/Rubber (middle one)
Bottom Rubber cut in half :wink:
13mm Nut

Tools used:
Ratchet + 13 Socket
Trolley Jack
Stanley Knife

Had to use a bit of trickery to get the threaded end out enough to put on the last rubber and Bolt.

Only thing i varied from standard - was the rubber which goes at the Nut end was cut to half is size in order to have enough room to get the bolt on. so now my anti-roll bar is connected at both ends. :lol:

mon
09-03-2007, 22:48
did mine they are a twat to do.. i first got none reno the rubbers split again in two. weeks so i got reno ones they been ok since i did them (did them in 05)

Coops
10-03-2007, 00:01
u cut it in half? wtf thats just gonna wear out real quick and you'll have to do it again!

Allan
10-03-2007, 00:15
when i did mine i only put the top part on and then tightend up the not and bolt to squash it, then put the bottom on and used the jack to compress it, after that just put it on and tightened !, took me a day to get the old one off though and in the end used a saw and dremel !

iirc they were only about £4 anyways

mon
10-03-2007, 01:44
there are on top or bottom .. they are all one rubber and a bolt .. were is the top and bottom come from?

Coops
10-03-2007, 01:48
bolt head, then top rubber then goes through wishbone, then middle big rubber, then through arb then another lower rubber and finally washer and nut

mon
10-03-2007, 01:51
songs like a song lol

need to cheak this tomoz shure i did it right..

eternalife
10-03-2007, 02:30
u cut it in half? wtf thats just gonna wear out real quick and you'll have to do it again!

Yeh - only cut the bottom one in half - Thats just to stop wearing from the roll bar onto the Nut itself. The middle Rubber is the key one - that the one that takes the greatest beating.

Well The rubbers/links are pretty cheap - so wouldnt really mind if I had to do it again..

Also best way to do it is get bolt +top rubber in.....then put in the large middle rubber - jack up that ARB so it squeezes the middle rubber the bolt will not at this moment be pushed firmly down. Rather than using a G clamp to push it in place put the washer/bolt and tighten it - this will in essence pull the Bolt lower down. Now simply undo bolt - put bottom rubber on and tighten as required.

Hope that make sense to all