PDA

View Full Version : Steel Wheels

nyk
04-03-2007, 02:11
To clear up................

I today spoke to a good friend of mine and Lee's who is an ex clio cup race driver, he has confirmed that in the 1991 series, the UK cup cars did in fact run on steel wheels. The speedlines were only introduced in 1992.

Apparently the steelies are in fact lighter than the speedlines, so I know now whats goin on our track car!!! lol

Winston, I want my steelies back!!

lol

If any one has any spare steel wheels please PM me your prices......

:lol:

Winston
04-03-2007, 02:45
There well heavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to them back :wink:

Cups run 6.5J or 7J steels????

nyk
04-03-2007, 02:49
7 I believe.

:lol:

Martin
04-03-2007, 06:31
They feel ****in heavy to me..... :lol:

Winston
04-03-2007, 12:46
Because they are lol

2 x BBS RS = 1x Valver steel

richy
04-03-2007, 12:52
there not that heavy tbh, yes there not the lightest but for what they cost and the fact it dont matter if u dent/mark then as they are easy repairs! lol

Winston
04-03-2007, 13:06
Just like running Ph2's weight wise ....but they won't buckle under the heat :wink:

Mattie
04-03-2007, 17:57
i wudnt say there lighter :shock:

last time i changed my steely over to a speedline i remember thinking that the steely was alot heavier!

Andy P
04-03-2007, 18:11
Nyk didnt want to be proven wrong so she pulled out all the stops to once again be right.

:lol: :lol: :wink:

nyk
04-03-2007, 19:46
Nyk didnt want to be proven wrong so she pulled out all the stops to once again be right.

:lol: :lol: :wink:

Hilariously funny, although it wasn't me who said they were used in the first place....

DaveH
04-03-2007, 19:56
Just backing winston up eh nyk :wink:

Andy
04-03-2007, 20:08
steels are heavier than original cup speed lines in silver

northy weighed them the other day

the silver speedlines are the same weight as gold speedlines

i did post that info a while back on the winston thread lol

Winston
04-03-2007, 20:09
Got your back :wink:

Lee Keefy
04-03-2007, 20:42
the cup wheels that nyk is reffering to may not be the same as a spare wheel...(but they were steel!!)

the chap who gave us the info raced the full three seasons of the cup series..season 1 was pre production for development and promotion and was never actually called the clio cup.

series two and three were the actual cup series and used the speedlines throughout.

the main reason for this was to reduce first lap accidents due to tyres not reaching temps as the wheels were flexing under the grip of the tyres and losing the contact patch!!!

every driver in the following season comlained of a noticable reduction in top speed due to the weight of the speedlines!!!!

he even remembered the meeting :!:

this info is from actual experience....i have no reason to doubt him.
8)

nyk
04-03-2007, 21:11
steels are heavier than original cup speed lines in silver

northy weighed them the other day

the silver speedlines are the same weight as gold speedlines

i did post that info a while back on the winston thread lol

you never said anything about weights on Winstons thread!

What exactly were the weights when you/northy weighed both???

Andy
05-03-2007, 08:21
they must be different to the steels

that come as spares they look exactly the same on the pics

northy will know he has no huge amounts about these cars seen as though he owns one will ask him

Purple
05-03-2007, 11:23
Nothing to do with clios, but I had a conversation with a friend who weighed his 14 inch factory steelies from his Civic LEV (Low Emission Vehicle), I was quite shocked that it only weighed 6.2kg. The steelies were made by Enkei for a low economy running. Maybe the steelies on the racing clio were custom lightweight jobbies as well?

stew
05-03-2007, 13:29
as probably mentioned above, just because the clio cup championship used them in 1991 dosent mean that they are good imo.

thats what... 16 years ago ffs. almost antique! :roll:

the clio cup championship ran at a cost, and was there to provide cheap-ish motorport and help promote the upcoming clio 16v. it did so very well, and proved that these hot hatches could handle very well indeed.

just becuase something was used in 1991 doesnt mean its the danglies imo.

running a J7 wheel is much better than a J6.5 especially if running race slicks as the clio cup championship did back in 1991, 1992, 1993 etc.

nowt wrong with the original speedlines, even better if u can get them in magnesuim composite. :twisted:

northy
05-03-2007, 14:07
ive always said they ran steel wheels in 1991 - just like i said they had side exits aswell.

darrenm1eqn
05-03-2007, 14:13
ive always said they ran steel wheels in 1991 - just like i said they had side exits aswell. So how much heavier are the steelies compared to willy wheels ...

northy
05-03-2007, 14:15
carnt remember exactly - but they are noticable heavier.

richy
05-03-2007, 23:16
as probably mentioned above, just because the clio cup championship used them in 1991 dosent mean that they are good imo.

thats what... 16 years ago ffs. almost antique! :roll:

the clio cup championship ran at a cost, and was there to provide cheap-ish motorport and help promote the upcoming clio 16v. it did so very well, and proved that these hot hatches could handle very well indeed.

just becuase something was used in 1991 doesnt mean its the danglies imo.

running a J7 wheel is much better than a J6.5 especially if running race slicks as the clio cup championship did back in 1991, 1992, 1993 etc.

nowt wrong with the original speedlines, even better if u can get them in magnesuim composite. :twisted:

but these clios are antique! doesnt mean there good either! just cheaper then most to thrash about in and who cares if a old clio gets battered?

btw that isnt aimed at you stew just in general to the 1991/antique bit

stew
06-03-2007, 00:26
agree with you richy

i was just tryin to make the point that some people see that clio cup cars used to run "blah blah blah" and they imediately think its the best thing from sliced bread and the way things should be done.

plenty different options out there at the end of the day, and dont get me wrong its all down to personal preference and funds. i just cant see how steelies will be any better than the speedline alloys.

richy
06-03-2007, 00:28
only reason i got them ws cus they was cheap! lol

u33db
06-03-2007, 21:24
Not really seeing what the issue is TBH - steels are heavier but i doubt a kilo or so extra or less per corner will make any difference in the grand scheme of things.