PDA

View Full Version : 2nd car or not?

big hp
13-05-2005, 07:53
I'm picking up my williams 2 tonight with 90k on the clock. I'm thinking about buying another cheap £500 run around when i've sold my valver to keep the miles down. Is it really worth it though? I do about 12k a year.

Rudders16v
13-05-2005, 08:00
I'd say not. It's already got a highish mileage on it compared to some of the 30-40k examples, so even if you didn't use it for a few years, it still wouldn't have a mega low mileage compared to some around.

If you've got the car, drive it and enjoy it!

I do know where you're coming from though. I bought mine on 102k as a daily run-about, but was a bit worried about how it'd be when i came to sell it as i'll do about 20k a year in it, so in 2 years it'll be getting close to 150k. But then, its a Williams, so as long as it's looked after, they'll always be in demand whatever the mileage

Rich
13-05-2005, 09:18
agree with shaun mate! a car is designed to be driven! it's not as if it does soething stupid like 12mpg or anything during normal use so get out there and enjoy it:)

KingStromba
13-05-2005, 10:29
If it needs work, dont drive it or youll never get ontop of it. Since i stopped using mine everyday i am at last starting to get ontop of the jobs that need doing to it. Ie replace the suspension, run it doing other stuff and by the time yuo got other probs fixed its supsension time again.

If its perfect drive it.

I think you lose the special feel they give if you use them every day.

Nothing like backing it out of the garage after a week of not seeing it.

big hp
13-05-2005, 12:43

Nothing like backing it out of the garage after a week of not seeing it.

Thats what i'm thinking. But I also feel keeping my valver will mean the pleasure of driving it won't be as great as the valver is a very similar car.

Prob sell valver and buy a push bike, Stromba style :lol:

LotuzClioWilliams
13-05-2005, 13:08

True. You get less excited about it and little imperfections start to annoy very quickly.

Mark_Ritchspeed
13-05-2005, 19:06
I used to drive my old Williams nearly every day and never got tired of it in over 3 years of ownership.

To this day, it is still my favourite car that I have ever owned and in the last few years I have owned some much faster and more expensive cars, but none have been as special. Not by a long way.

If I were you, I would use it every day as not using a car does more damage than doing 20k hard miles a year.

richy
13-05-2005, 19:11
well ive used mine for last 12month and done 15k(when its running) and now got another car for work to cut milege down and as stromba said get on top of bits that want sorting! gonna use mine as a track car now so gonna finish off the mechanical refurb side, most of suspension and brakes are brand new!

MatBrown
13-05-2005, 19:56
I'd say get a cheap diesel.

Mat.

Zollo
13-05-2005, 20:13
Don't underestimate the cost of running a second car though -

Tax, Mot, insurance, fixing it, replacing consumables. It doesn't matter that it's a £500 run-about, it'll still cost as much as the average car.

Then there's also the minor fact that you're driving around in a shitter, which isn't much fun :(

Particularly when you're paying a lot of money to insure, and tax and Mot a Williams and not use it!

...or you could buy a cheap 205 Gti and then at least you can have fun no matter which car you're in :D

richy
13-05-2005, 20:46
well ive managed to sort out insurence for both cars which will be less then what i was paying on the williams alone, thats with williams as weekend car, and runnign cost i will now run a diesal to work so saves me alot of money cus of milage i do, and general costs ans renaults are not cheapest! :)

GazTwo
13-05-2005, 20:47
Well as u all now mine only gets used at weekends or holidays and not for work....but we have 2 cars anyway cause Rachel needs one for work and I go on the train.

Not sure about losing the special feel if u use it every day cause I don't but I'm like a little kid on xmas morning when I know I'm going out in it.... :D

Also as u know the 2nd car atm is a Valver and I always said I didn't want one cause it would take the edge off driving the Williams.....but believe me it doesn't..... :D

I pay tax, MOT, insurance etc....on the Williams even though it's parked up alot of the time and I'm happy to do that...but 12k a year for a £500 car is a lot of miles for a cheap run around so could end up costing a lot more than u think.....we had an AX GTI before the Valver which cost us £300 and did about 5,000 miles in 2 years and just pottered about in it and cost me some brake pads and service items.....I don't think it would manage 12k a year without costing me a lot more.

Depends on your circumstances...I would go to work on the train no matter what car I had because it's a lot easier as u know big hp Rachel now needs a car for work and she ain't using the Williams..... :shock:

big hp
14-05-2005, 16:51
Well I sold the valver today so i'm investing in a push bike.

KingStromba
14-05-2005, 17:45
Who to? Good man, bet your sorry to see her go.

big hp
14-05-2005, 20:46
To a local lad. He's got a RSI an wanted williams but couldn't afford the insurance. I'll be sorry to see it go but i've got my williams for company now :twisted: . He collects it monday night.

I told him if he don't keep it in the condition i sell it him in i'll tie him to a tree up the woods and leave him there.

It was just getting someone to look at it that was the problem. 1st person to see it bought it. :D Which i'll take as a compliment.

I've pointed him in this direction and he promises to join up :D . Commision FATBOY?

GazTwo
14-05-2005, 21:27
Well done mate good to see u've sold it...now we'll see the Williams at FCS... :D

U picked it up yet???

big hp
14-05-2005, 21:28
Yes got it last night. Very happy.

Martin
14-05-2005, 21:39
You not gonna give us your thoughts on the differences between the two cars....? :)

big hp
14-05-2005, 21:47
Ok breifly as i wanna watch the boxing.

Williams feels stable in corners where as valver sometimes felt twitchy.

williams picks up a lot better in any gear, even more noticeably if theres a incline etc.

Performance wise the williams edges it but the valver isn't far behind IMHO.

All in all the williams is a better all round car for driving normally i feel. don't have to rev it to go anywhere. Plus i've had so many looks in it today its great, just pottering arounf and people point and stare. Prob because of the plate as well as it relates to the car.

Martin
14-05-2005, 21:58
Thats if they are ever going to have a fight.. :roll: it's more like Parkinson at the mo...