PDA

View Full Version : Induction kits

Tullyvernon
01-03-2007, 22:15
just wonderin wat you lot think is the bestr kind of induction?
I saw this on hill power
http://www.hillpower.co.uk/newprod.html
wat do you think?
http://www.hillpower.co.uk/images/photo/cold%20kit%2002.jpg
http://www.hillpower.co.uk/images/photo/cold%20kit%2001.jpg

thelynx
01-03-2007, 22:22
ERM, unless your gonna cut a hole in the wings next to it, cant see it getting much air flow? Also where does your washer bottle go ?

MAXIBOY
01-03-2007, 22:40
its what the group A cars used. there,s lots of cold air there

Lee Keefy
01-03-2007, 22:44
^^^^agreed.

its to prevent heat soak more than anything. 8)

steve740
01-03-2007, 22:51
I just use an itg panel filter. does the job for me

VIPERONE
01-03-2007, 22:54
its what the group A cars used. there,s lots of cold air there

the grop a cars used the r 21 t airbox... as per pne pf my posts

MAXIBOY
01-03-2007, 22:59
yeah but they took there air feed from exactly the same place in the scuttle panel

thelynx
01-03-2007, 23:23
I just use an itg panel filter. does the job for me

Im soon to do the same...

Stoker Willi 1 303
02-03-2007, 01:35
"""""" :? ^^^^agreed.

its to prevent heat soak more than anything. :? """"

ok i agree but what about water soak when it rains :oops: that may be more of a worry when engine swollowing 1part water to 1part air :P :P :P

not a good design for road use but good for the track i suppose!

2 live
02-03-2007, 09:38
heat soak???

why use a s/s tube uncooled?? wouldnt the s/s soak heat up from the manifold not too far away from it anyway??

Lee Keefy
02-03-2007, 15:50
a car engine drags air into itself that fast it wouldn't have time to warm the cold air up even if the tube was glowing red,the gasses out of the exhaust are still not warm enough to burn an they've been through the engine. :?

Lee Keefy
02-03-2007, 16:30
[quote="Stoker Willi 1 303"]"""""" :? ^^^^agreed.

its to prevent heat soak more than anything. :? """"

ok i agree but what about water soak when it rains :oops: that may be more of a worry when engine swollowing 1part water to 1part air :P :P :P

surely the ecu would suffer the same problem when it rains then :?

Tullyvernon
02-03-2007, 22:32
ERM, unless your gonna cut a hole in the wings next to it, cant see it getting much air flow? Also where does your washer bottle go ?

I think they supply a washer bottle to go someware else.
what is the best way to get cold air without loosing fog lights?

stan
02-03-2007, 23:16
That intake postion, in the scuttle, is the best place. its got the highest pressure differential on the frontal area of our cars (and most others, unless a proper asplitter is employed on the base of the bumper).

the best solution would be to put the filter there, since this would cause minimum pressure drop between the throttle plate and the inlet/filter, as opposed to the grpA type set-up of feeding to a filter box from there....packaging is the main enemy tho.

cliolord
03-03-2007, 14:05
I run standard air filter in a standard air box housing 8)

Hulio
04-03-2007, 00:40
itg in standard air box all the way, cold air feed might be a good idea

darrenm1eqn
04-03-2007, 09:48

The washer bottle is above the filter in the pic if you look closely :roll:

steve740
04-03-2007, 13:31
itg in standard air box all the way, cold air feed might be a good idea

hell yeah!! this guy talks sense!! lol

Hulio
04-03-2007, 18:20
I would actually like to know if a cold feed to the standard air box is worth it and what would be the best way to do it without having to remove the fogs as I like them as they are. Sorry to hijack the thread but it is still on the same vein, i.e. what is the best setup for induction. That scuttle relocation kit from hillpower does look pretty cool though.

stevie g
04-03-2007, 20:21
I am also running a standard air box with ITG panel filter and was cosidering installing a induction kit such as the pipercross viper with a direct feed from the scuttle. is this a good idea? as i thought running a pipe would be difficult :roll:
cheers guys

Nick Hill
04-03-2007, 23:15
We spent a lot of time on the development of this kit measuring all sorts of pressures and temperatures in various locations. The difference in air intake temp alone suggested the best place for the filter was outside the engine bay, rain will have little effect on the filtetr with a closed bonnett and there is plenty sufficient air available to the engine even at max rpm. The polished aluminium pipework retains very little heat in comparison to the black heat absorbing plastic of the o/e air box, surface temp of these items was also measured during development. If we felt there was little benefit with this set up we would not have built a finished kit. There are many ways of making and installing induction kits for the 16v and Williams this is our take on a no compromise kit. We also do for the people who wish to keep the o/e airbox with a performance filter installed do a spot lamp and big bore feed pipe up to the Renault air box, one disadvantage to this however is floods and Fords as the intake is relatively low to the ground. Anything less than these type of conversions will still work but probably not to such a great effect.

Hulio
05-03-2007, 00:40
Looks smart and seems to make sense but from what I can gather from the hillpower website, the replacement washer bottle only feeds the front washers so you lose the rear washer unless you rig up your own system.....(please correct me if I have misunderstood this) plus at the rate I go through washer fluid I would be filling it up all the time with that little bag!

Nick Hill
05-03-2007, 01:51
If you pipe the rear washer up with the front you can get both to work. On my own car I have fitted a washer bottle with twin pumps behind the bumper where the original air intake is taken from. We sell the kit with or without the washer bag depends if you want to rig up your own system or not.

stevie_b
05-03-2007, 09:57
My washer bottle is now inside the car so I have plenty of room in the scuttle for something like this. I also have a fibreglass bonnet so have the option of cutting a vent or adding a scoop or something to get more air into the scuttle. Is this likely to be worthwhile or do the aerodynamics of where the bonnet meets the windscreen already mean there is plenty anyway?

stan
05-03-2007, 16:37
Cutting a vent in the bonnet around the scuttle area will reduce the pressure in that area...leave it as it is I would say.

Nick, what sort of performance gains did you see from fitting an air intake in the bumper?

mays
05-03-2007, 19:38
i have recently been testing all different types of intake systems over the last month. i have tested 2 kits which i have desisgned myself.

1 of which i do currently have for sale.
I have tried the standard airbox with a standard filter... a 3 inch hole cut directly in line with the throttle body. and no cold air feed..

the same setup.. box..hole... and this time with a cold air feed from the fog...

and i have tried my induction kit which infact is 1 of a kind ive never seen anything like it before.....

after many different tests with all three have found that with my induction kit the car picks up alot quicker... from a stand start straight to full throttle... although at full throttle from 5000rpm onwards there dosent seem to be as much pull as there does with the airbox....

The airbox makes a hell lot of noise from a stand start to full throttle. and dosent really want to pick up at all. untill the revs eventually do pick up..

i then tested k&ns bolt on filter and i think that they are a mixture of both..

pics can be shown of my custom induction kit... The one for sale is also open to offers..
Many thanks.
Danny

Hulio
06-03-2007, 01:31
bizarre.......anyway, the hillpower scuttle kit is growing on me but I would like more info on it i.e. by how much is it better then the itg in a standard airbox setup and in what way. I like to be sold these things!

Coops
06-03-2007, 10:21
if you cut a hole in the 0/e box directly opposite the t/b, the air going into the engine wont go through a filter? correct me if am wrong but in my mind thats what am picturing? :shock:

Lee Keefy
06-03-2007, 21:37
if you cut a hole in the 0/e box directly opposite the t/b, the air going into the engine wont go through a filter? correct me if am wrong but in my mind thats what am picturing? :shock:

didn't want to say :?

also are the holding screws not there?

Tullyvernon
16-04-2007, 22:23
Ordered a std air box there, then il get a pannel filter, any idea how much they are and were 2 get?