PDA

View Full Version : Car tax

DaveH
01-03-2007, 19:42
My car tax ran out yesterday because the insurance cocked up with posting my cover note so if a tax it online now will it be down as taxed even if i havent got the disc yet (takes a couple of days), can i be done for not having the disc?

wavy
01-03-2007, 20:36
can i be done for not having the disc?
probably
think they might say the offence is not showing the disc
or maybe not ? :?

FATBOY
01-03-2007, 21:00
another question... does the tax disc have to be displayed in the bottom passenger side of the window??? or can it be displayed anywhere in the corners of the windscreen??? is there a law that says it must be passenger side? as ive seen some people display theres in the centre behind the rear view mirror...

Coops
01-03-2007, 21:02
as far as am aware can display it anywhere.

as its beginning of the month, all tax discs bought this month will be back dated to beginning of the month so you can run without a disc so long as you buy one before end of the month as in buying a march disc, no matter where in march you will of paid tax for the whole month, as of the 1st if you get me.least am fairly sure you can and i have done in the past

richy
01-03-2007, 21:22
u can get done for not displaying the disc, not sure if they would let u off if u taxed it online and it comes up as taxed on there register etc

i had same problem but managed to tax it yesturday when doc arrived!! took my insurence nearly 2 week to let me know they messed it up and i wasnt insured!

Coops
01-03-2007, 21:26
ah right, well i've got away with it a couple of times! :lol:

nyk
02-03-2007, 00:38
Just do it at the post office, that way you know you have it there and then and no messing. My friend did it online, 2 weeks before her tax was due when she got her reminder, her tax disc never arrived in time :roll: , although I have heard of lots of people who have done it and had no problems.

DaveH
02-03-2007, 01:11
I prefer to do it in post office and tried to the problem i had is i didnt have a valid (just a temp one from last year) insurance cert. so i rang them up on 28th and they said theyd send one recorded delivery next day guarantee before 1pm and charged me £7.50, only it didnt turn up today :x .

Ive done it online tonight and im just going to drive round with the printed receipt on me, i know its an offence to not show a valid tax disc but i would hope they would be lenient with me if they stopped me and checked the database. It says can take up to five days to arrive but most people get theirs in 2-3 days.

Wobba
02-03-2007, 01:30
another question... does the tax disc have to be displayed in the bottom passenger side of the window??? or can it be displayed anywhere in the corners of the windscreen??? is there a law that says it must be passenger side? as ive seen some people display theres in the centre behind the rear view mirror...
Are you sure those are not Japanese 'shaiken' certificates in the middle behind rear view mirror? Thats where the Japs put em on their cars...

fillip
02-03-2007, 19:35
im in the same situation waiting for the sodding insurance certificate to turn up! wat happens if u get caught wiv out one is it just a fine, if so how much coz im willing to risk not having it if its not much coz iv got to get to work tomoro

summeh
02-03-2007, 19:42
funny that two other people brought this up, cuz I have literally just a few hours ago started a new insurance policy, and need a tax disc as my car is sorned at the moment, but won't get the policy thru for 5 days or so...

I'm just gonna get my car tax online, and print out the receipt... a copper would have to be pretty miserable to do you for it. however, not having the disc displayed is an offence i think. Even though if they did a check it would show as being valid etc on the computers.

DaveH
02-03-2007, 19:47
not sure what the penalty is but iirc its a hefty fine and if its well out of tax then they can take your car away and have it crushed.

Well the cover note turned up today lol lot of use that is!