PDA

View Full Version : Strange Behaviour From Rear

Swervin_Mervin
28-02-2007, 21:06
Been driving PCC now for about 3-4 weeks and have noticed some strange behaviour from the rear. On a smooth road everything's fine, and I have no quibbles. However, chuck in some bumps, especially on a bend, and the rear seems to be shimmying from side to side.

e.g. cam round a left hander tonight at about 15mph and there's a rut halfway round. Cue the car bumping over to the left and settling back to teh right.

My only idea so far is that maybe the rear shocks aren't damping at the same rate, or maybe one is FUBARd. Anyone got any suggestions? It's not exactly confidence inspiring! :roll:

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2007, 14:41
No one?

northy
01-03-2007, 14:46
You checked the basics mate ?? or is this the first post ??

Shocks all ok, push down on each corner ??? wheel bearings ?

stan
01-03-2007, 15:27
sounds like dampers.

Clio_GTT
01-03-2007, 15:29
sounds like dampers.

they often rust at the mounting points, brake hard in a straight line and listen for banging, or even easier just jack up the rear and look ;)

stan
01-03-2007, 15:33
The handling characteristics he's describing are more in line witha damper which isnt damping properly...i.e ****ed or deteriorated internals.

This is best tested by pushing down on the suspected corner, alla what Northy is saying, and checking for excessive time to settle.

Clio_GTT
01-03-2007, 15:38
mine went in a big way, both of them just rusted until they came off the bolts :shock: got a loud banging when i braked hard and shit myself lol

stan
01-03-2007, 15:50
nice :lol:

big hp
01-03-2007, 18:37
Defo shocks mate. Had same feeling on my old corrado felt like the arse end was about to overtake you on corners with a bump / manhole. Horrible feeling.

Swervin_Mervin
01-03-2007, 23:27
mountings are fine. I'm convinced the shocks are original though. would be 15yrs old if they are! :shock:

No banging under braking and no troubles at all when cornering on normal surfaces. 1st noticed it on the test drive going in to a compression. Think I'll go with it being a shock.

jamesy
02-03-2007, 19:13
i have a similar problem,i have had the back of the car up in the air and it looks like my rear shocks have collasped,they are resting on the bumpstops when the car is on the ground ,and when up on the ramp you can move the wheel/compress the shock with not much effort.
when i first changed my rear shocks they had about and inch and half of travel on them before they hit the bump stops,now they have none

clio_rsi_turbo
02-03-2007, 19:54
i had this problem on my old valver, it had been lowred to much and was on standard shocks, nice :?