PDA

View Full Version : Swapping ECU's how easy?

Martin
12-05-2005, 16:51
Want to swap my chipped ecu for a standard one and I'm wondering if it's a simple unplug/plug switch job? I've a piggyback too will this make it more of a blag?
Cheers

KingStromba
12-05-2005, 16:52
Easy

Take out jack (oh you wont have one), then just one bolt under that i think and a rubber strap.

Steve a
12-05-2005, 16:56
The ecu is held in by a frame held with 3 10mm nuts, just undo these and jig the lot out, undo the rubber strap slide the ecu out, undo the plastic casing then its just unplug the ecu and plug the other back in.

Martin
12-05-2005, 16:59
Cool...Anyone preferably in the N/w want a free 7k rev limit? I'll do a straight swap my chipped ecu for a standard one...

Jan
12-05-2005, 17:10
what's happening with the 'nana martin? :?

Martin
12-05-2005, 17:34
It's running about 20 bhp down on where it used to be and the last time I can remember it being spot on is just before I got the rev limit raised up to 7000rpm...I'm thinking maybe it's interfering with the smt6 piggyback I'm running.....

KingStromba
12-05-2005, 17:45
I think youll find its the hot weather. Nick spoke to me today and said alot of people ringing in saying their cars are slower. Just told them its the nature of summer.

Jan
12-05-2005, 17:53
It's running about 20 bhp down on where it used to be and the last time I can remember it being spot on is just before I got the rev limit raised up to 7000rpm...I'm thinking maybe it's interfering with the smt6 piggyback I'm running.....

I hope you can get it sorted mate!

Martin
12-05-2005, 18:02
I think youll find its the hot weather. Nick spoke to me today and said alot of people ringing in saying their cars are slower. Just told them its the nature of summer.

It fookin' is'nt the hot weather! I know my own car....ask Chris, Monkey or Northy..they all smoked me on the way to york the other week!

Rich
12-05-2005, 18:21
ok mouth calm down :P on a serious note can you not just go to wherever you had the limit increased and explain it has made your car slower and get them do drop it back down again?

KingStromba
12-05-2005, 19:03
Wont a more highly tuned car be effected more by hot weather as it relies on more air to mix with the greater quantity of petrol?

More tuned = more petrol and more air = more power.

Less air or less petrol = greater loss of power.

Just a thought.

FlamingMonkey
12-05-2005, 19:04
Tis true we smoked him, where he usually smokes us, the weather didn't affect us, so it shouldn't of affected Martin

Martin I am almost sure I can copy the ECU's at work we have an eprom programmer and millions of EPROMS lying round, we could try it out?

Martin
12-05-2005, 19:38
I have'nt the foggyiest how this shit work Rob..but if you could make a copy of yours that would cool. Would it be easy to swap over into mine though??

Allan
13-05-2005, 01:38
yeah copy it then get them all sorted for everyone else ;)

even tho my rev limmit is 7500 :P
shame its a valver lol

Purple
13-05-2005, 13:08
Wont a more highly tuned car be effected more by hot weather as it relies on more air to mix with the greater quantity of petrol?

I think UK weather does not get hot enough to lose 20 bhp.

From my own observations, running a Williams in the tropics, when the air temp gets above 33C, acceleration feels like 9 secs (0-100kph). But round about 27C, it starts to feel more like the claimed 7-ish secs acceleration.

So, unless you guys are getting a monster heatwave, I don't think losing 20bhp is likely on a well-tuned Clio. BTW, air temp was measured using a proper digital thermometer not the useless orange readout on the dashboard.

Nick Hill
01-06-2005, 11:15
I had you booked in for the 10th May Martin to have a look at the problem. The chip with the raised limiter had exactly the same info as your original chip apart from the raised limiter. I would find it hard to believe that the limiter increase will affect any othe part of the map or affect the power. Maybe if you had kept the appointment (or possibly informed me that you could not make it) you would have got to the bottom of the problem by now.

KingStromba
01-06-2005, 11:16
LOL, naughty naughty Martin :roll:

FlamingMonkey
01-06-2005, 11:23
I thought he did solve the problem, did he not just reset the ECU and all was fine again?

KingStromba
01-06-2005, 17:50
Jusy to recap, this was nothing to do with Nicks raised limiter. It was dodgy fuel / something else.
:D

Martin
01-06-2005, 19:00
:oops: Never found out the problem...but don't think it was related to the hp chip...fixed now though! Sorry Nick I was already a few hours late by the time I woke up so did'nt think to ring...