PDA

View Full Version : Still idle issue's

jerome16v
27-02-2007, 18:48
Hi guys, i'm Jeroen from the netherlands, and this will be my first post here. please dont mind the spelling sometimes, because its hard enough allready to type this.
OK here goes, i dont own a williams (yet), but i drive a 16V, i dont know if thats against forum rules, but i have a problem with my car, and i pretty much asked everybody who knows renault, but the problem is still there.

My car also has the high idle problem after the engine is warmed up, and i drove it a bit hard :P.
So i searched the net, and found a topic here.
After reading all that info, i came to the conclusion that Its deffinetly a problem with the speedo cable, because when its idling high, and i turn the engine off, and start it right after, it idle's fine.
So first off i made a new earth connection, and measured the resistance it had, it was: 0 Ohm, while the old cable had: 20K Ohm.
But that didn't do it, so i bought a new speedo cable from Renault, and tried that, but that still didn't do it.
Next step was to measure the two remaining wires, the Yellow wire has a nice 12 V on it, and the white one gives 1.8V.
Im confident the 12V on the yellow one is correct, but i dont have a clue about the white one.
Also i noticed something strange, in the topic i found here trough google where some pics showing the 3 pin connector for the speedo cable.
cables where sorted as:

Left: black
middle: white
right: yellow

Offcourse the layout is the same on mine, but on the other side of the connector, the side that goes to the sensor, the layout is different, both on the old speedo cable, as on the new.
White and yellow are swapped.
I dont know if its normal like that, or maybe Renault has send me the wrong cable... i dont know.
I even tried swapping white and yellow on the old cable, but that didnt help either, and i'm a bit scared to connect the new cable while the two wires are swapped.
Any help would be appreciated.

Greetz

Purple
28-02-2007, 02:59
Could be the ISCV acting up. I think you meant that, when you say "speedo cable". ISCV-related idle problem is quite common problem (hasn't happed to me though). Search the posts for ISCV keyword, you should find something helpful.

northy
28-02-2007, 09:20
Also the lamba sensor in the manifold

p.s hello and welcome :D

Coops
28-02-2007, 09:38
i know which fix your on about, i've done it to mine where a new earth worked perfectly to stop the high idle after hard driving. have you made sure the new earth is made on the speedo cable side of the plug? if you have made it on the other side could be a issue with the plug or wiring on the car side.

jerome16v
28-02-2007, 19:45
Hi and thanxs for the help so far.
The new earth wire has a good connection, because when i measure between the connector and somewhere on the shell, it gives a 0 Ohm reading.
Also i tried a different ISCV, which i know was in 100% working order, but the problem was still there.
The thing that bugs me, are the two swapped wires in the connector, like i said, the wires that come from the car loom look allright, black on the left, white/grey in the middle and yellow on the right, but the side that goes to the cable is different, white and yellow are swapped, and that cable is brand new from Renault.
So i hope some1 want to take a look at theirs, and tell me if their wires are swapped to, or if its colour to colour.
And i could try to follow the white/grey wire, and see where that goes, but i think that is almost impossible to do.
Or maybe some1 here knows where the white/grey wire goes?

thanxs in advance

greetz

Coops
28-02-2007, 19:50
just switch em round n see if the idle issue goes, no harm no foul