PDA

View Full Version : Changing drivers side inner cv boot?

BristolSam16v
26-02-2007, 09:41
Can't seem to get hold of one and doesn't look too straight forward... any advice?

tim124
26-02-2007, 14:52
nah its not easy to do. you have to have the driveshaft off, which means getting the hub nut undone, and i think you have to have the outer cv joint off completely to slide the boot on for the inner all the way along. im sure somebody will correct me if im wrong.

If your paying somebody else to do it, it will no doubt be cheaper to just whack a new driveshaft on because the labour to get the boot on isnt worth it.

BristolSam16v
26-02-2007, 17:16
Bollocks... the driveshaft is off at the mo, i've changed the inner boot on the other side but obviously thats much easier, haynes is a bit confusing doesn't really explain how to do it... how much would a garage charge if I handed them the driveshaft+boot?

tim124
26-02-2007, 17:28
try yourself first and then if you cant then take it somewhere. youre not really going to break anything. just be careful not to pull the rollers of the cv because on some driveshafts they come off quite easily and all the needle bearings come out.

ive never done it on a clio but im guessing there is a roll pin to knock out or something on the outer cv then it will come off and you can slide the inner boot on then replace the outer cv joint

im guessing completely here and im just going by what ive seen on other driveshafts, so be a bit careful

garage should charge much if they know what they are doing, should take from half an hour to and hour depending on how good they are

MAXIBOY
26-02-2007, 18:04
there,s a circlip on the outer joints. release it to remove the joint

BristolSam16v
26-02-2007, 18:10
Any idea where I could get a boot from can't seem to find one anywhere?

MAXIBOY
26-02-2007, 18:11
where have you tried

BristolSam16v
26-02-2007, 19:09
Got one from renault now, but they can't get it in till wednesday :(