PDA

View Full Version : Gunner.

Joel
25-02-2007, 22:51
whats the law on De-cats ? I no theyre Illegal. but whats the punishment if caught

the fines../penaltys mate?

clowo16v
25-02-2007, 23:17
Duno if you get a fixed penalty, but they rip your MOT up meaning you cant move the car apart from on a trailer, then you need to fit a cat and re-do the MOT

Matt

wavy
25-02-2007, 23:22
i aint a copper but de cats aint illegal as such
pre 92 cars didnt have a cat os dont need 1
if after 92 it requires a cat to pass emissions test
but if u have a decat and your cars can pass the emission test u can have an mot
(i have read on this forum ppl havin cars pass the em test with decat)
chances are u wont pass :?:

stevie_b
25-02-2007, 23:22
Only if you fail emissions, or just for not having a cat? Just asking as my car passed without one the last few years so I assumed all would be okay?

DaveH
25-02-2007, 23:23
Is it the law to have a cat fitted even if its a post 93 but passes the emissions with a decat on?

stevie_b
25-02-2007, 23:24
Sorry - responses crossed. I'm one of those that passes without a cat that hooligan mentions.

seanofnp
25-02-2007, 23:49
Its not illegal not to run a cat, its illegal to fail on emissions though.

Both my Clio 16v and my CR-X Del sol both past with de-cats and the police stopped me in both and said it was fine as they were MOT'ed like it.

nyk
26-02-2007, 00:17
At the very most you would be issued with a VDRF (Vehicle defect rectification form), you would have to attend an MOT station, have the CAT put back in, the emissions tested, and then return the form (which would be completed by the MOT station) to your local police station with all your documnets- licence MOT insurance etc.

It is not illegal as such to not have a cat, it is however a failure on your MOT if your car is post August 1992.

But in reality, what police officer is gonna get underneath your car by the side of the road to check if you have a cat??????????????
This is very unlikely, police officers are not VOSA or MOT testers!! lol

Scougar
26-02-2007, 00:46
My 1998 200sx passed it's MOT with a decat :D Passed it's emissions perfectly as I was still running the pre-cat, and not a word was said about the decat itself :)

But basically k-reg onwards need a cat. So j-reg is the perfect year :)

Matthew

drsmith1979
26-02-2007, 02:35
more likely to get you for the excess noise rather than emissions at a roadside check etc..

stevie_b
26-02-2007, 09:16
Does anyone know what the limit is for noise on the road then? Do they measure it at 2/3rds revs at 1 metre like they do for track events?

Scougar
26-02-2007, 09:18
I highly doubt they carry around sound measuring equipment, so they can't do you then and there realistically.

Matthew

Plattsy
26-02-2007, 12:47
when i MOTd the hybrid with decat it has the emissions of a 1 litre micra :roll:

clowo16v
26-02-2007, 14:34
There's no set noise limit on the road or to get an MOT, its just at the discretion of the copper/tester

Matt

dan 16v
26-02-2007, 17:48
i aint a copper but de cats aint illegal as such
pre 92 cars didnt have a cat os dont need 1
if after 92 it requires a cat to pass emissions test
but if u have a decat and your cars can pass the emission test u can have an mot
(i have read on this forum ppl havin cars pass the em test with decat)
chances are u wont pass :?:

Anything after Aug 92 needs a cat. Anything previous to this doesnt need a cat for road use and can take a non cat test where the emmision levels are ALOT higher.

I only know this as my car was registered in June 92 so I get to have a non cat test and not have to worry about coppers on the road :)

jay s
26-02-2007, 18:13
ive had two mot's ( 2 cars k and l reg's ) and when they put the reg etc in the machine it comes back as not needing at cat, both passed first time with decats on.

Wobba
27-02-2007, 01:51
If a neighbour (for example) complains about noise pollution, causing distress etc it would be feasible for them to have environmental health over to check your car, via your local Council. They are obliged to look into complaints like this.

But to be honest, it takes months usually, where the person making the complaint would have to first file the complaint then probably mess about for months sitting at their window noting the times they were disturbed by it.

HIGHLY unlikely unless you were sticking your exhaust in their letterbox and revving it for hours constantly.

I was once stopped at a vehicle check point in Southampton in my R5 Turbo with a massive exhaust, and they didn't check the noise levels, just the safety of the car etc. My R5 Raider was in TOP shape so they just nodded approvingly and sent me on my way.

seanofnp
27-02-2007, 03:02
If you go in for an MOT and it fails on emissions mention to them that its had an engine transplant out of a 1992 valver, (pre cat) and they will do it again and it will pass, they will do it according to what the engine is out of apparently.

Joel
28-02-2007, 14:11
I wouldnt go to MOT with it in :lol:

I just wondered if u got Pulled, if u could get done?

VIPERONE
28-02-2007, 15:42
police officers are not VOSA or MOT testers!! lol

traffic officers go on a course which is basically an mot testers course. it gives them the knowledge, skill and authority to decide what a road worthy vehicle is when they stop one and carry out a roadside check.

VOSA often have mobile units, and there are a number of static one..one of them ois at juction 20 of the m62...

it is unlikely that a beat bobby would check a cat...however if it fails the mot/vosa test then the car isnt deemed roadworthy.

if the car fails the road side emmissions check by such a high amount(cant recall the reading) then it can be taken of the road there and then.

i run a cat, as it provides the necessary back pressure lol

Winston
28-02-2007, 16:04
Good knowledge to have for my shed that :P

ben306
28-02-2007, 16:05

bollocks haha, only cat you got was a moggy you stuffed up it you get it past noise ratings haha!!

rob16v
28-02-2007, 17:43
there was a vosa inspection van at the uni entrance today. didn't see it stopping anyone but it was there for more or less the whole day

VIPERONE
28-02-2007, 19:44

bollocks haha, only cat you got was a moggy you stuffed up it you get it past noise ratings haha!!

yeah the noise ratings as dictated by the neighbours and curtain twitching..i easily passed the emmisions checks with it on..i was looking at a failiure sheet for the turbo..lol that failed immensely on emmisions!

2 live
28-02-2007, 22:06
i always put me cat on for mot time..........guy does em properly. lol

as for noise. surprisingly had no complaints so far on 0051, even from the traffic cops who pulled me.....altho the guy who mot'd it now says hed fail it on excessive noise....amazin how much more amplification the de-cat gives ya lol.

VIPERONE
28-02-2007, 22:11
yes john/....it is loud...but strangely appealing lol

richy
28-02-2007, 22:15
If you go in for an MOT and it fails on emissions mention to them that its had an engine transplant out of a 1992 valver, (pre cat) and they will do it again and it will pass, they will do it according to what the engine is out of apparently.

yes they have to test it to what the engine is but i was told you had to prove this!

but im not a mot tester so dont know the in's and out's of it! i just give it to one of the lads to do! gotta refit my cat this weekend for the mot!

will 2
28-02-2007, 22:32
i run a modifed mini 1995 (old shape) which used to be fitted with a 1275cc but is now fitted with an MED 1380 comp motor, single point injection, without the cat and passes every time, the reason being is that it is not the original factory engine so does not need a cat fitted, apparently my mot tester found this out to be a small loop hole 8)