PDA

View Full Version : Idle

Tommo
12-05-2005, 12:13
My car generally idles like a bag of shite until it's warmed up, sometimes even stalls when I stop for traffic lights etc. It's always been a bit lumpy from day one but seems to be getting worse, I thought the service at the weekend would've helped cos I got them to clean the air filter, fit a new oil filter, oil change, new plugs etc, but doesn't seem to have helped. Anyone else had this problem and how did you sort it?? I've heard a new idle control valve could sort it but with me not being very technically minded I don't know how this works...

Lunner
12-05-2005, 12:18
There are so many things which can effect this, one thing to try is the ISCV(Idle Speed Control Valve), give it a good clean wiht carb or brake cleaner and see if that sorts is, also a bad earth ont he spddeo cable can contribute to it.

Do a search on chavosport, cropped up loads of times

Tommo
12-05-2005, 12:24
Thanks mate I'll try the at the weekend, where in the engine bay is the ISCV, I've had a look for this before but can't see anything that's obvious (on the Peugeots I've had in the past it's a big screw at the front of the engine bay so easy to find)

Cheers
Col

Lunner
12-05-2005, 12:28
IIRC on teh valver itsat the front of the block somewhere, not 100% sure tho

big hp
12-05-2005, 12:36
Front of engine, right hand side in front of air filter. plug in top of it.

Tommo
12-05-2005, 12:39
Just reading on chavsport, could be the fact the engine has kent cams and a remapped ECU by Hill Power, I know tuned cars do suffer from idling issues, I'll try cleaning the ISCV and if this doesn't work I'll replace it and if still no luck I'll try and live with it, it's not a mojor problem, just have to warm her up for a couple of minutes in the morning before moving off, it's smooth after a few miles of driving and the oil has warmed up....

northy
12-05-2005, 13:01
i know that aggressive timing of the cams will make it stall mate....but i will see it at the FCS...richy is the man to ask about stalling.

KingStromba
12-05-2005, 13:02
Just time them less agressively?

Slithers
12-05-2005, 13:08
Here is a list of things i had to replace to solve my stalling problems.

Map sensor

ISCV

Lambda Probe

Ignition Coil

HT Leads

Spark Plugs

Coolant temp sensor

Air Filter

Fuel Filter

and some Injector cleaner

Tommo
12-05-2005, 13:08
Cheers Northy, if you could have a look at the FCS that would be spot on mate. It doesn't stall every time I stop only occasionally, most of the time it drops to about 500 rpm and then shoots up again, and repeats this until it's warmed up and then it smooths out at about 900 rpm

Cheers for the advice fellas

Mark_Ritchspeed
12-05-2005, 13:42
Its probably just the idle control valve sticking slightly or a build up of crap in the throttle body. Giving the inside of the throttle body a clean would be the first job to do as its quick and easy.

The cams probably will be playing a part in rougher idle as well though.