PDA

View Full Version : track car

willy3
25-02-2007, 14:34
just bought a naples valver which i'm going to use for track days, anyone got any tips on whats the best set-up for them, or any problems that usually ocur with them on track??? many thanks.....

jwarren2k2
25-02-2007, 16:24
first things first... give it a good service, and i mean a good one, even if its had one recently.

then get a decent set of brake pads, pagid or ferodo ds2500 i believe are good. std discs should be ok.

coilovers, avo are supposed to be pretty decent for track.

set of semi slick tyres... toyo r888 (iirc) or yoko advan (iirc)

Good uprated clutch maybe

roll cage, buckets, harnesses an strip it bare!

apart from that, stick a 2.0 lump in it, with a fully rebuilt engine to competition spec! :wink:

This is what i would do, and dont quote me on what i have said as ive not done it before (but will be soon!). Im sure the others will be along shortly to give their views!!

Enjoy the new car!!

James

stew
26-02-2007, 18:17
in my opinion, do it like this in this order :

* full service - ie everything esential! (decent 10w40 oil, fram oil filter, NKG plugs, new dizzi cap, new rotor arm, new fuel filter, new air filter, new HT leads, new thermostat, full coolant flush and new coolant, new brake fluid 4.1dot, decent brake pads)

* strip it fully (seats, interior plastics, headlining, sound deadening, spare, wheel cage, jack)

* fit 1 or 2 lightweight bucket seats and 3 or 4 point harnesses

*look at the suspension, fit lowering springs and decent shocks, or coilovers

*find some lightweight wheels

*fit a rollcage

*look at getting some race slicks or semi slicks (michelin slicks or yoko advan semi slicks seem good in my opinion)

*fit polycarbonate (persepx) windows

*rebuild a 2.0L williams engine and drop that in (sky is the limit, but a std rebuilt williams engine is a great building block for future mods. dont worry about uprated clutches really as the std item is fine)

*get your hands on a new williams gearbox (as the JB3 valver ones seem to like self-mutilation)

being happy to do things yourself saves soo much time and money. start with the basics and build up.

and have fun... 8)

willy3
27-02-2007, 13:32
thanks for that, its basically just for a laugh rather than serious competition, just need something which will keep up or better handle than a 2ltr nova.............now has anyone a rollcage or buckets for sale....... :lol:

stew
27-02-2007, 18:55
clio's handle much much better than novas so ur laughing mate.

i see ur from dumfries, scotland; hopefully see you either at knockhill or crail sometime soon.

if your on a budget get some sparco sprint seats. new they are 100 quid each. good enough seats, just not the comfyest! fine for track use!

harnesses are kinda expensive, just get 2" 3 point ones. should find a pair for sub 100 quid. i have a spare set on sparco ones in black nocking around, could sort you out if you make me a decent enough offer - they are mint conditon, were in the car for 3 months only.

omp rollcages on ebay - 300 quid will get you one, bolt and weld the mofo in and job done!

track cars CAN be done on the cheap really, as long as you have a decent base to work from!! :twisted:

willy3
28-02-2007, 10:33
yeah should be at knockhill at some point, also going to try and do a few other tracks, need to get the car to a good runnin state first, think i have the harnesses sorted now thanks, might just make up a rollcage as my mates a fabricator, will see what happens....what car are you using for track days??

stew
28-02-2007, 12:36
my clio 16v 2.0L.

fully track prepped. use the search function to look for pics. spec in my garage.